1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 04:22
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    As a pig of questionable character myself, I find prose rolls out of me like slops into the troff. I can churn out a short story about anything. Building a longer story is far more difficult for me. Too much time required to craft it well and other things take priority.

I'll make up stories for my daughter by having her pick three totally random things. A useful challenge for training your brain.
    750 words is a "part" chapter...or a challenge.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 11:16
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    As someone without an original creative thought in my head, I'm so envious of people who can actually write something to enter. Every year I look forward to reading the entries. I hope everyone who can, does.
    No, methinks you have your own original creative thoughts in your head.
    This is not an entry but some funny thoughts of this black beastie on Nature (and at the same time Freestyle). I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did when I wrote it down;

Batch 8

Oh well I ‘m getting older…
    …because I ‘m a phenomenon-in-flux and therefore at a given time I will die; my bodymind will cease to exist in the way that its formation allows for the being of this black beastie that types these words. What’s really happening to me is not that the relation of the atoms with which I am composed are changing relative to each other, but that my matter, my atoms that is, will dissolve into the quantum uncertainty -my bodymind will become energy, which under specific circumstances it will trigger form into being again, a form neither identical, not different, nor both nor neither than its previous form I perceive as myself.
    And the process of my aging is not purely coincidental; the orthogonal epistemic objects are changing within spacetime, and so do I.

Mind you, whatever is being observed from any location, has the form of either enegy or matter; even gravity cannot exist in separation with matter. Check any two-dimensional analogy of spacetime distortion and you will see that matter changes even the geometry of spacetime. However, due to the fact that before the big bang all we have is a singularity where matter, light, heat, particles, dark matter and all other stuff cannot be perceived, I wonder: in that absence of matter and of all other stuff we observe to see change (motion of mass included) and thus measure time, Is There Time?

Nope, methinks that thingy lacks of inherent existence. Time is not inherently existent because the flow of time is impossible; if we accept that time is split into past, present and future, the conception of time loses its coherence because if the past is considered to produce the present and the future, the latter two parts would be already included in the past and it could not be properly said to have inherent existence and a separate being. On the other hand, if the present and the future are separate from the past, we are forced to assume that their self-contained existence leaves them uncaused, independent and without reference to the past -and this is absurd. Also, since the notions of present and future imply a relation to the past, we have another self-contradiction. This means that neither the present nor the future exist, since neither identity with nor difference from the past is sufficient to establish the reality of the present and future;

However the abstract concept of time, this invention of ours, is meaningful whenever we have to monitor all kinds of changes the observers undergo, of course their movement included.
    OK, as "observer" I define a physical system capable of memorizing and/ or handling elements of reality (an observer is made of elements of reality, which they are any exchangeable and finite packet of physical information). So, an observer could be everything -a person, a galaxy, an animal, a plant, the universe, a rock, an island etc. Each of these observers memorizes and process information in different ways, and each observer is a phenomenon-in-flux instead of a stable, inherently existent being that somehow envelops flux/ change.

It follows that all observers are causal fields that change constantly. And no observer is eternal, anything sooner or later dissolves through changes into quantum uncertainty. This change takes place in the context of the phenomena-in-flux that we (falsely) evaluate them (for our convenience) as flux-in-phenomena (time). Since the flow of time is impossible and the time itself is non inherently existent, herenow is the sole accurate “depiction” of the existing spacetime.

Finally, time dilation shows that the duration of time may vary for various events and various reference frames. The rate we monitor as regards the time that passes for an observer depends on the observer’s velocity (always according to our cognizant apparatus) and on the strength of the gravitational fields. So right now, when I enjoy my wee dram of Aberlour abunad’ h Batch 8, methinks that time, space and gravitation have no separate existence from matter; therefore, time cannot exist separated from matter -but it doesn’t matter at all😡
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 12:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 22:40
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    Having survived 21-12-12 the competition is still on and further details are now available.

Maximum word length is 750 words

You can submit up to two entries

Topic is a choice of nature and freestyle (no topic)

Entries not to be posted on forums they need to be sent to me via pm or email (send me a pm for email address)

Deadline is February 19th

Good luck all
    Please read original post do not post your entries as that affects voting
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:31
    Just over 2 weeks left folks
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 02:24
    Just over 2 weeks left folks
    Due to residual medical issues I'll be unable to compete.

Still look forward to enjoying the entries. Thanks.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 16:12
    keeping the prose at the top πŸ™‚

always on the look out for new writers πŸ™‚
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 17:08
    keeping the prose at the top πŸ™‚

always on the look out for new writers πŸ™‚
    How many entries? Enough to be interesting?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 17:38
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    How many entries? Enough to be interesting?
    The deadline's not upon us yet, pardner.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 02:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The deadline's not upon us yet, pardner.
    Let's wrap this up then.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 18:06
    Due to unexpected circumstances deadline has been extended to 24th February (when back online)
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 20:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 20:02
    Due to unexpected circumstances deadline has been extended to 24th February (when back online)
    Phew! Cheers 'Silverstriker', the cheque's in the post.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 20:32
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Phew! Cheers 'Silverstriker', the cheque's in the post.
    Is that "Kosher"? I mean that's like buying a win and it's just not done here on RHP. Maybe at the world's skating championships or maybe even Ascot or FIFA but here? I should hope not. 😠
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 20:54
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Is that "Kosher"? I mean that's like buying a win and it's just not done here on RHP. Maybe at the world's skating championships or maybe even Ascot or FIFA but here? I should hope not. 😠
    Take it to the Sports forum spanky, this is the real world, where cheating is just a creative interpretation of the rules.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree