after you
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 13:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]2015 RHP Member Inventory (Page 15)

"My thanks to each of you who have participated in a constructive manner in our 2015 RHP Member Inventory. Before Saturday, February 21, 2015, I'll "post a summation of these intangible reasons and tangible site options and features, etc." from the actual content of this thread."

Last Call: [i]"To ...[text shortened]... , I'll post a summation of these intangible reasons and tangible site options and features, etc.[/b]
    Saturday came and went..Sunday came and went
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 15:32
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP) [Page 16] <---
    2015 RHP Member Inventory

One: Check your site profile to verify the date you joined.

Two: Then, determine how many days you've been an RHP Member
    with this user friendly date conversion calculator:

http://www.convertunits.com/dates/

Examples:

Russ: "Joined 21 Feb '01" "The total number of days between Wednesday, February 21st, 2001
    and Saturday, January 10th, 2015 is 5,071 days."

I "Joined 14 Jul '07" "The total number of days between Saturday, July 14th, 2007
    and Saturday, January 10th, 2015 is 2,737 days."

Please post the number of days (as of the current date) since you joined;
    then we'll continue with inventory steps three and four.

Thank you.

2015 RHP Member Inventory (Page 14)

To: Schlecter: 701 Days; woadman: 51 Days; rookie54: 2,499 Days; NoEarthlyReason: 792 Days; redbadger: 216 Days; Ponderable: 3,550 Days; divegeester: 2,816 Days; HandyAndy: 3,032 Days; Great Big Stees: 3,695 Days; Sicilian Sausage: 3,795 Days; Fat Skier: 320 Days; Suzianne: 4,175; st dominics preview: 759 Days; ChessPraxis: 3,770 Days; wolfgang59: 2,773 Days; ale1552: 2,629 Days; moonbus: 956 Days; bbarr: 4,888 Days; mwmiller: 5,069 Days and lolof: 2,804 Days. Twenty members with a total of 49,390 Days or an average of 6.8 Years on the scene.

Additional Participants: Mammy Blue: 1579 Days; pawnpaw: 1,747 Days; onurtasan: 3,839 Days; Nick Bourbaki: 650 Days;

Part Three: Red Hot Pawn will celebrate its 14th Year in business as a viable online correspondence chess site [with public forums, private clans and clubs] on Saturday, February 21, 2015. It seemed apropos that we provide Russ with an insider inventory of the collective reasons why we joined and have remained active members as a representative site profile.

Timeline: To begin Tuesday, January 13 and completed within five weeks by Tuesday, February 17. Before Saturday, February 21, 2015, I'll post a summation of these intangible reasons and tangible site options and features, etc.

Request: Please focus on the thread's purpose and remain on topic. *Part Four will follow one week from today. Thanks.

2015 RHP Member Inventory (Inventory of *Reasons for Joining, Pages 1-13)

Originally posted by lolof (Page 8)
    Reason for joining? My grandson wanted me to, he played a lot of chess then.

Originally posted by moonbus (Page 9)
    Reason for joining: recruited by a neighbor.

Originally posted by redbadger
    recruited by my SON

Reason for joining: Finding a different webchess site from the one I used before, where I was a member for about three years. Found it via a websearch.

I was on Gameknot Chess it was rubbish.

That's true. The site I came from originally was named Atlantic Chess and is defunct now. I brought with me two more members, but thye ceased to play here years ago.

my son /son in law and daughter are all on RHP

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    'correspondence chess, public forums, private clans and clubs': which do you still enjoy the most?

Originally posted by redbadger (Page 10)
    well I have 30 games on some in tournaments so the forum comes second, I know I post a lot but that gives me time to think about moves.

Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki (Page 11)
    I have been a member for 650 days. FMF is my dad.

Originally posted by *caissad4
    3968 days for me.

Originally posted by moonbus
    What I think about RHP, features, policies, and participants:

I play correspondence chess only at RHP and participate (occasionally) in forums. I'm not interested in blitz or clans. I played corr.chess decades ago (by post)--what a pain in the arse! I tried again in the 1980s via a very primitive email-based system (CompuServe) which led to many mis-typed moves and occasional disappointments, though the gamers were dedicated. RHP is a vast improvement over my previous experiences with corr.chess.

Friendliness of players: so far I have played 10 others. Not a bad apple in the lot, though some were more chatty than others. Depended a bit on me, too, I suppose.

Friendliness of forum participants: this is very variable, with some engaging me on PM quite cordially (which is not to say that we agree on all matters), whilst others seem intent on spewing out invective and vituperation.

Why I am not a paying member: the benefits don't interest me (I don't feel the need of playing more than the freebie-number of simultaneous games, I don't need or want an avatar-image, etc.).

Cost-worthiness: for a free service, this is amazing. The web interface works well (I don't use it from a mobile device, so I can't judge that aspect of it). The messaging, game archival/retrieval, and search functions, work reliably. No complaints about the GUI. Russ's willingness to accommodate user requests for special features is much appreciated. GreenPawn's blogs are great.

My one request: I'm vain enough to think that some of my published annotated games have helped a few players below my rating. I would appeal to some of the stronger players here (2000+) to annotate some of their games and make them publicly available. I'd like to learn not only from my own mistakes, but from others' successes as well.

Thanks for a great site, to all who contribute!

Originally posted by Fat Skier
    I discovered this site after reading David Shenk's book The Immortal Game which pointed me to its website which in turn pointed me to here.

Originally posted by *!~TONY~!
    4826 days.

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I found out about this site from a friend who has not been active here for about 7+ years now.

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    The reason I have stayed here this long was mainly because of the people I've become friends with it certainly wasn't because of my wanting to improve my chess abilities as I've pretty much been stuck in the 1000 rating mark.

Part Four (a): Please describe any and all site options and/or features you've ever wished would be added or changed.

Originally posted by moonbus
    Request: a pgn export function from the "analyze board" java thingy.

January 26, 2015

Part Four (b): If you're a non-subscriber now, what additional site enhancements or features or options would motivate you to consider becoming a Red Hot Pawn Subscriber during 2015? If you're not interested in becoming a subscriber yourself and financial budget constraints haven't factored in that decision, would you consider purchasing an annual subscription anonymously for a trusted friend unable to do so on his or her own? If so, in the interest of privacy, please send a Feedback Message to Russ at any time rather than advertise yourself as Santa Clause here. lol My thanks to each of you who have participated in a constructive manner in our 2015 RHP Member Inventory. Before Saturday, February 21, 2015, I'll "post a summation of these intangible reasons and tangible site options and features, etc." from the actual content of this thread. [No replies.]

"Red Hot Pawn will celebrate its 14th Year in business as a viable online correspondence chess site [with public forums, private clans and clubs] on Saturday, February 21, 2015." Thanks, Russ, and Happy Birthday, Red Hot Pawn!

* Please feel free to express your appreciations to Russ and birthday wishes to an online chess site we all know and love.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 15:39
    Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree