2015 RHP Member Inventory

2015 RHP Member Inventory

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
We (Russ, GB and I) have our reasons.
You need no know.
Ah ha. Righty ho!

Thread 162419

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jan 15

Web Review: Red Hot Pawn! Five Stars (Page 4)

"There are a large number of websites that allow you to play chess online. Some of them are free and some of them require a subscription service. Of course, if you decide to go the free route, you’ll be inundated with advertisements during play. When I started to take chess more seriously I wanted a correspondence-format chess website. I wanted a website that would allow me to make moves when I wanted, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. I didn’t want live chess, because that’s not so convenient to play at work or in the supermarket while grocery shopping. Some of my moves would need thinking about, and that could take a couple of days!

After a brief scurry around the Internet, I came upon Red Hot Pawn (RHP). RHP focuses on correspondence chess, and does it well. There is a micro-site that allows users to play blitz chess in real-time..."

"What do we think?

• Usability: 5
• Fun: 5
• Web experience: 5
• Mobile experience: 3.5
• Friendliness of other players: 5
• Cost-worthiness: 5

Total Score: 5"

http://www.aurorachessclub.ca/?p=2081

Comment: Becoming a Member of Red Hot Pawn isn't a right;
it's a privilege not to be taken for granted. Thanks, Russ.

What do you "think" about Red Hot Pawn?

F

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
• Mobile experience: 3.5
I think this 3.5 is a bit generous. I use find it better to use a different facility to play chess on my smart phone.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jan 15

2015 RHP Member Inventory (Inventory of Reasons for Joining, Pages 1-12)

Originally posted by lolof (Page 8)
Reason for joining? My grandson wanted me to, he played a lot of chess then.

Originally posted by moonbus (Page 9)
Reason for joining: recruited by a neighbor.

Originally posted by redbadger
recruited by my SON

Originally posted by Ponderable
Reason for joining: Finding a different webchess site from the one I used before, where I was a member for about three years. Found it via a websearch.

I was on Gameknot Chess it was rubbish.

Originally posted by Ponderable
That's true. The site I came from originally was named Atlantic Chess and is defunct now. I brought with me two more members, but thye ceased to play here years ago.

my son /son in law and daughter are all on RHP

'correspondence chess, public forums, private clans and clubs': which do you still enjoy the most?

Originally posted by redbadger (Page 10)
well I have 30 games on some in tournaments so the forum comes second, I know I post a lot but that gives me time to think about moves.

Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki (Page 11)
I have been a member for 650 days. FMF is my dad.

F

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki (Page 11)
I have been a member for 650 days. FMF is my dad.
For the first 11 of those 650 days, it was me using the Nick Bourbaki screen name. Then I gave it to my son. So it should be 639 days rather than 650.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by caissad4
3968 days for me.
Thanks. You've increased the number of our site member inventory team of thread contributors to twenty five.

F

Moves
14 Jan 15

Thanks. You've increased the number of our site member inventory team of thread contributors to twenty five.
Does that number include you?

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Jan 15

What I think about RHP, features, policies, and participants:

I play correspondence chess only at RHP and participate (occasionally) in forums. I'm not interested in blitz or clans. I played corr.chess decades ago (by post)--what a pain in the arse! I tried again in the 1980s via a very primitive email-based system (CompuServe) which led to many mis-typed moves and occasional disappointments, though the gamers were dedicated. RHP is a vast improvement over my previous experiences with corr.chess.

Friendliness of players: so far I have played 10 others. Not a bad apple in the lot, though some were more chatty than others. Depended a bit on me, too, I suppose.

Friendliness of forum participants: this is very variable, with some engaging me on PM quite cordially (which is not to say that we agree on all matters), whilst others seem intent on spewing out invective and vituperation.

Why I am not a paying member: the benefits don't interest me (I don't feel the need of playing more than the freebie-number of simultaneous games, I don't need or want an avatar-image, etc.).

Cost-worthiness: for a free service, this is amazing. The web interface works well (I don't use it from a mobile device, so I can't judge that aspect of it). The messaging, game archival/retrieval, and search functions, work reliably. No complaints about the GUI. Russ's willingness to accommodate user requests for special features is much appreciated. GreenPawn's blogs are great.

My one request: I'm vain enough to think that some of my published annotated games have helped a few players below my rating. I would appeal to some of the stronger players here (2000+) to annotate some of their games and make them publicly available. I'd like to learn not only from my own mistakes, but from others' successes as well.

Thanks for a great site, to all who contribute!

FS

Moves
14 Jan 15

I discovered this site after reading David Shenk's book The Immortal Game which pointed me to its website which in turn pointed me to here.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by moonbus
What I think about RHP, features, policies, and participants:

I play correspondence chess only at RHP and participate (occasionally) in forums. I'm not interested in blitz or clans. I played corr.chess decades ago (by post)--what a pain in the arse! I tried again in the 1980s via a very primitive email-based system (CompuServe) which led to many mis-type ...[text shortened]... mistakes, but from others' successes as well.

Thanks for a great site, to all who contribute!
I have just a couple of annotated games. You might check out @uncle-stosh annotated games. He's a good player with good chess knowledge despite what his current rate is.

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Jan 15

Thanks CP, I'll have a look.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
Does that number include you?
Why are you still here?

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
14 Jan 15

4826 days.

F

Moves
14 Jan 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Why are you still here?
For pretty much the same reasons as the previous 2,713 days. 🙂

Moves
15 Jan 15

I found out about this site from a friend who has not been active here for about 7+ years now.