1. RSA
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 06:36
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Very well done to the first three and to everyone who entered, including myself πŸ˜‰
    for First Impressions and Love of a Friend, for which I set myself the most difficult task
    of trying to write about men.

I guessed right about you Ghost, with your Cats entry which was so jolly and carefree. I thought
    there were some brilliant ideas behind some of the entries and some were written so professionally,
    such as Lady Rancible.
    Well done, you wrote nice pieces.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 08:03
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Thank you.

I enjoyed reading both your entries. πŸ™‚
    Actually, I'm more Holden Caulfield fifty years on, but no matter. You're so jolly and carefree (or so one hears) ... πŸ˜‰
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 08:47
    I wrote Cat's Eyes and An Empty Paper Cup, so am a little embarrassed (but appreciative) to take first and second place.

I was honestly impressed with the standard of entries across the board and there would have been no complaints by me had I been outvoted. (Rusty won't believe that).

For anyone interested, my two entries were actually conne ...[text shortened]... ery ticket).

Thanks to everyone who voted, submitted, and to Ponderable for running things.
    You did a real good Job. In fact I voted for both of your pieces.
    I think you managed really well to fit to the Topic emotions.
    I voted for An empty Cup as highest, since you managed to convey the Problem of mixed emotions even when thinking about them.
    The Cat Piece was a wonderful study in cat psychology.

Memories was also in my top three. It wonderfully describes the effect of ou history and our perception of history is imprinting our emotions. Well done there!

I will write short comments on the other entries over the time.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 13:52
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Very well done to the first three and to everyone who entered, including myself πŸ˜‰
    for First Impressions and Love of a Friend, for which I set myself the most difficult task
    of trying to write about men.

I guessed right about you Ghost, with your Cats entry which was so jolly and carefree. I thought
    there were some brilliant ideas behind some of the entries and some were written so professionally,
    such as Lady Rancible.
    Hey, I rather like being described as jolly and carefree. πŸ™‚

It was a lot of fun to write the cat story and the rhyming aspect actually made it easier. The line I was most pleased with was:

“Happiness,” the cat meowed, “is eating fish and sleeping,
    life without is just a smoke alarm that throughout the night keeps beeping.”
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 13:57
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    You did a real good Job. In fact I voted for both of your pieces.
    I think you managed really well to fit to the Topic emotions.
    I voted for An empty Cup as highest, since you managed to convey the Problem of mixed emotions even when thinking about them.
    The Cat Piece was a wonderful study in cat psychology.

Memories was also in my top three. It ...[text shortened]... ur emotions. Well done there!

I will write short comments on the other entries over the time.
    Thanks. An empty paper cup actually took ten times the effort to write, so happy you voted it top.

My top vote went to Emojis, which was a really original idea. Would love to know who wrote it.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 14:24
    I wrote Cat's Eyes and An Empty Paper Cup, so am a little embarrassed (but appreciative) to take first and second place.

I was honestly impressed with the standard of entries across the board and there would have been no complaints by me had I been outvoted. (Rusty won't believe that).

For anyone interested, my two entries were actually conne ...[text shortened]... ery ticket).

goad,

Now you speak for what Rusty would think?...You really do think you are cock of the walk!!

Actually I "WAS" going to congratulate you.

-VR
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 15:33
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    goad,

Now you speak for what Rusty would think?...You really do think you are cock of the walk!!

Actually I "WAS" going to congratulate you.

-VR
    Thank you. I'll take your congratulations and invest it wisely in cardigans.
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 16:25
    Hey, I rather like being described as jolly and carefree. πŸ™‚

It was a lot of fun to write the cat story and the rhyming aspect actually made it easier. The line I was most pleased with was:

“Happiness,” the cat meowed, “is eating fish and sleeping,
    life without is just a smoke alarm that throughout the night keeps beeping.”
    ‘sardines in his hat’

was mine, I envisaged the sardine decorating his hat like a feather. πŸ™‚
  9. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 17:06

Cat's Eyes had a Bob Dylan kind of feel (Like a rolling Stone)
    I thought it was the best
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 18:04
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    Cat's Eyes had a Bob Dylan kind of feel (Like a rolling Stone)
    I thought it was the best
    Whoa, Bob Dylan. Now that really is a compliment. (Thoroughly undeserved, but I'll take it).
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 18:48
    Thank you. I'll take your congratulations and invest it wisely in cardigans.
    goad,

You are quite Welcome, but I think you are wearing out the cardigans bit.

-VR
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 07:32
    Thanks to all who contributed.
    Thanks to all who voted.
    Thanks to Pondy for organizing.
    I know now what I have to write to get into the top three next time:
    it's going to be "pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows," in rhyme.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 07:36
    I appreciate all stories - some amused me and some moved me very much. When will there be a next competition?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 08:30
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Thanks to all who contributed.
    Thanks to all who voted.
    Thanks to Pondy for organizing.
    I know now what I have to write to get into the top three next time:
    it's going to be "pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows," in rhyme.
    Start writing it straight away sir.
  15. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 09:12
    On the Story: "Holes"

Interesting take on the after-life with an interesting idea of a forced downward movement with a messianic figure not easy recognisable in the first read. So the Feeling of insecurity is adressed. Well written and with a nice Twist.

I didn't include it in my top three however since the "emotions" part was a bit short. The Story surely evokes emotions, but the characters don't Display many of them clearly...or so is my take as a non-native Speaker.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree