Moves
    01 Nov '14 11:26
    "Does anybody know how to remove snail trails from a white rubber spatula?"

Hey, isn't somebody gonna suggest 'rub tomato sauce on it' ?? [/thread]
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 14:59
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    My Male logic tells me it is cheaper just to go naked.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 15:09
    Dye it to match the color of the stain. Maybe you will end up making a fashion statement.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 12:01
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Dear Ladies of RHP, I have this terrible problem... It has flummoxed me for years. Maybe some one of you can help. How do you get tomato sauce stains out of white or translucent plastic (such as rubber spatulas and TupperWare)? Running them through the just dishwasher doesn't do it.

(PS I already thought of buying only red spatulas and TupperWare. Couldn't find any.)
    Having missed this thread due to vacations my 2c

The problem: red colour from tomatoes stain polymeric kitchen utensils.

the reason: the coloured molecules (Lycopin)feel quite happy between the molecules making up polymers. (that includes nearly all polymers which are being used kitchen ware). This is due to the fact that Lycopin is quite similar to polymer molecules.

the solution: none that really works. Since you would need to lure the Lycopin out of the cosy ploymeric matrix. You can do that using solvents. BUT those solvents are rather happy inside the polymer also, swelling and destruction ensues.
    Alternative solution: use UV to destry the molecular structure (and thus the colour). BUT this will destry your polymer. This was the sunlight trick btw.

Real solution (already proposed a few times): don't use polymeric appliances with tomatoes or carrots.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree