1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '18 05:47
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Try using a real dictionary and look up the term "sophist"
    Don’t you have to be clever to be a sophist?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 11:05
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Don’t you have to be clever to be a sophist?
    Since sophist is derived from sophia (greek for wisdom), at least being wise would be great πŸ˜‰
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 11:42
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Since sophist is derived from sophia (greek for wisdom), at least being wise would be great πŸ˜‰
    That is going to leave a lot of us out!!! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 13:42
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    That is going to leave a lot of us out!!! πŸ˜‰

-VR
    not me I can be a real wise guy.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 13:52
    Originally posted by @badradger
    not me I can be a real wise guy.
    I believe you mean wise ass! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 13:591 edit
    I believe you mean wise ass! πŸ˜‰

-VR
    my arse ( British terminology) is not very wise, its bummed around for years, is a real blowhard, generally full of crap, I cant put my finger on whats wrong with it but my doctor has tried, my wife says its lazy, last week we were going around the supermarker and she said bill you are the lasiest arse I have ever met ….well I was so shocked I nearly fell out of the shopping trolly.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 14:03
    my arse ( British terminology) is not very wise, its bummed around for years, is a real blowhard, generally full of crap, I cant put my finger on whats wrong with it but my doctor has tried, my wife says its lazy, last week we were going around the supermarker and she said bill you are the lasiest arse I have ever met ….well I was so shocked I nearly fell out of the shopping trolly.
    LOL...Funny story!

You got your wise ass, smart ass, dumb ass, lazy ass, and many more I am sure that people say. I am pretty sure I've been called them all at one time or another. πŸ˜‰

-VR

-VR
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 16:24
    quote a post of mine that lacks reasoning, or reasoning of a sophist nature....
    Brought up again, since Russ never shot it down. Just a few RHP'ers thumbed it down but some agreed.

Just hover your mouse over the thumbs down to see who has thumbed it. Simple code and won't take long.

Eventually people will use the up/down more appropriately with a bit of accountability.

2. [the idea was mooted before and voted down]
    you could always override that vote as site admin for accountability reasons. I'd bet you wouldn't get too many people asking for the "show vote names" to be deleted.

The ones that voted it down are likely the ones voting thumbs down all the time anyway.

Bring back accountability to rhp says I!

When the game is in the opening few moves, it would be helpful if a pop up window or notification alert would appear indicating to you what the name of the opening your opponent is doing or what defense they are using.

Then you should be able to search your finished games for games you played against certain openings or defenses to help you review what worked and what didn't.

This is 2018....when you move a piece it should actually move so that you can see it...and if you take someone's piece, the taking piece should smash the one being taken. Then you could add, like, sounds effects, too!....Maybe even a commentator's voice could chime in after taking a piece, like, "hey great move, champ!", or, "are you sure you want to do that?". When you win, fireworks should go off on the screen and if you lose maybe bouncing unhappy faces could attack your king and kill him...or maybe all the bishops surround the king and stab him with their steely knives!

The possibilities are endless!

RHP should give money, prizes, or free subscriptions etc to RHP members if they create threads that have more than say 200 or 300 posts from more than 20 or so posters.

The thread starters are really the content creators on RHP...without them the site would be dead since most seem to agree the forums are what makes RHP unique.

So, how bout the odd kick back to your content drivers, Russ?

Let's have an option that goes beyond the simple thumbs up thumbs down rec.

Let's have a button that says "Nominate for RHP Hall of Fame"

In order to qualify for the Hall of Fame the post must get at least 15 people press the Hall of Fame button. Every 6 months, a review panel of RHP subscribers/Admins could vote on which posts get into the RHP Hall of Fame. A max of maybe 5 posts could be admitted to keep the quality very high with no mandate that any posts actually make it in..

This way you could have the "recommended posts" button only keep track of the last few weeks worth of rec's rather than the page after page it is now.

And, the all-time lame-brain, take-the-cake, hall-of-shame, knuckle-head post from you:

This would be helpful to know what the odds of having something actually be done with our ideas. That way, if we know there is only a 0.07 percent chance our idea will be used, then maybe we don't bother posting it. It would save us time and allow us to focus on enjoying the site rather than trying to imagine it as we would like it to be.

What are the odds you will come up with a sensible idea? Based on the evidence of past performance...
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 05:52
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    [b]1.
    Brought up again, since Russ never shot it down. Just a few RHP'ers thumbed it down but some agreed.

Just hover your mouse over the thumbs down to see who has thumbed it. Simple code and won't take long.

Eventually people will use the up/down more appropriately with a bit of accountability.

2. [the ide ...[text shortened]... are the odds you will come up with a sensible idea? Based on the evidence of past performance...
    lost the will to live/ give me abuse anyday.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 11:441 edit
    Is consistently and methodically thumbing down every single post by someone considered "abuse" under the RHP TOS?
    I'd like to know... just for kiks.. i've never had one
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 11:58
    Some would say you've got a smart-ass with a wise-crack. πŸ˜‰
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 14:53
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I'd like to know... just for kiks.. i've never had one
    Come sir, I thumb down most of your posts.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 19:11
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Come sir, I thumb down most of your posts.
    Only most of them? You thumb down all of mine!!! πŸ˜›

Don't let this one be the exception. πŸ˜‰

-VR
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 20:05
    Only most of them? You thumb down all of mine!!! πŸ˜›

Don't let this one be the exception. πŸ˜‰

-VR
    Done. (Sir)
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Done. (Sir)
    There you go with the phoney (Sir) things again! πŸ˜› At least your consistant!!!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree