1. rebel city
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 16:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I would encourage all people looking for a pet to consider adopting from a shelter or their local animal control facility. There are all manners of pets there from newborn puppies and kittens to older dogs and cats hoping for a forever home. Some of these animals have been abandoned by former owners and are heartbroken that their families have turned them ...[text shortened]... aren't already) to help reduce the sheer number of unwanted pets who are euthanized every year.
    I am adopting from an animal protection society, and the process is fairly long for this very reason of having so many abandoned pets. I would adopt a young adult if it were not for my cat. I think it will be easier for her to accept a newcomer that is initially smaller. One of the many conditions to adopt a puppy is to have it neutered at 6 months old, which I will do when the time comes.
  2. rebel city
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 16:43
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I support wholeheartedly the first suggestion. I adopted from Roger's Farm in Yorkshire a beautiful piglet and, after months of nurturing him, I prepared perhaps the best barbeque in the history of mankind. He was delicious. And at what cost? Zero.

On the second one, I disagree. The solution is responsible owners, [b]NOT
    mutilation. Under the same logi ...[text shortened]... ow should be castrated or their Fallopian tubes chopped, but truth be told, it is morally wrong.[/b]
    I agree it is sad to spay a young animal but in my particular case I do not have the space for lots of puppies. There are so many of them looking for a home already. The organisation I am dealing with get about 30 dogs a day, not mentioning the many others around town. It is terribly sad to see.

A bit out of the subject but equally sad is the number of horses being abandoned since the economic crisis started in Ireland in 2008. It is heartbreaking and there is a strong movement to prevent this happening, with some relative success so far, according to the local papers.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 17:10
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    I agree it is sad to spay a young animal but in my particular case I do not have the space for lots of puppies. There are so many of them looking for a home already. The organisation I am dealing with get about 30 dogs a day, not mentioning the many others around town. It is terribly sad to see.

A bit out of the subject but equally sad is the num ...[text shortened]... ent to prevent this happening, with some relative success so far, according to the local papers.
    Have you tried chemical castration? I do support controlling the population of
    pets, it is just that I feel so sad for mutilation. Basically, cutting the nuts off
    puppies gives me the creeps 😞

So sad to hear about the horses. I didn't know that. I hope Findus doesn't
    find them a use, if you know what I mean.
  4. rebel city
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 17:27
    Have you tried chemical castration? I do support controlling the population of
    pets, it is just that I feel so sad for mutilation. Basically, cutting the nuts off
    puppies gives me the creeps 😞

So sad to hear about the horses. I didn't know that. I hope Findus doesn't
    find them a use, if you know what I mean.
    I have never heard of chemical castration. What is it and how is it?

Back to castration, at least animals are operated in a proper environment by a vet. Think of all those women whose castrations are done in the most horrific manner. I have met several of these women who had undergone hell and were lucky to survive and were happy to be alive.
  5. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 09:55
    I support wholeheartedly the first suggestion. I adopted from Roger's Farm in Yorkshire a beautiful piglet and, after months of nurturing him, I prepared perhaps the best barbeque in the history of mankind. He was delicious. And at what cost? Zero.

On the second one, I disagree. The solution is responsible owners, [b]NOT
    mutilation. Under the same logi ...[text shortened]... ow should be castrated or their Fallopian tubes chopped, but truth be told, it is morally wrong.[/b]
    having a bitch spayed is important it increases their lifespan(stops them getting cancer)the only reason not to spay is if you want to breed and if ita a mongrel it will be hard to rehome them.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 11:231 edit
    I am planning to adopt a puppy, a Staffie Boxer, female, 8 weeks old. I have a female cat, 4 yrs old. I wonder if anyone here has experience in introducing a puppy to a cat...
    When I was a kid we had two dogs, a cat and a fishtank. The cat joined the family as a
    kitten, after the dogs were grown, so they kinda looked after it. I think it's easier to
    introduce cats to dogs when one of them are still a kitten/puppy, but I know for a fact that
    it's possible to introduce grown up ones too (my brother's family have done it).

I guess it depends on the breed of dog though. Some are just a little more aggressive than
    others.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 12:54
    Originally posted by C Hess
    When I was a kid we had two dogs, a cat and a fishtank. The cat joined the family as a
    kitten, after the dogs were grown, so they kinda looked after it. I think it's easier to
    introduce cats to dogs when one of them are still a kitten/puppy, but I know for a fact that
    it's possible to introduce grown up ones too (my brother's family have done it).

I ...[text shortened]... ess it depends on the breed of dog though. Some are just a little more aggressive than
    others.
    A bat takes care of any aggressive tendencies.

Just kidding.
  8. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 13:21
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    A bat takes care of any aggressive tendencies.

Just kidding.
    to the bat cave Robin
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 15:01
    Originally posted by redbadger
    to the bat cave Robin
    Do they bite?...Wait I'm Stees not Robin. 😠
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 15:21
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Just kidding.
    That's what I thought. 🙂
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 21:45
    Originally posted by redbadger
    having a bitch spayed is important it increases their lifespan(stops them getting cancer)the only reason not to spay is if you want to breed and if ita a mongrel it will be hard to rehome them.
    yeah, i'm cool with spaying bitches. what i abhor is cutting the nuts off males.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 23:581 edit
    yeah, i'm cool with spaying bitches. what i abhor is cutting the nuts off males.
    That's bull%#$&.

The only way to guarantee fewer animals being killed because of overpopulation is to spay or neuter. You talk of owners being more responsible, well there is nothing more responsible than ensuring a longer life for your pet and doing your part to keep the population of unwanted pets down. They're not people. They adapt quickly, especially if done when young. and it's a fact that pets who are spayed or neutered are happier, more well-adjusted pets that take well to training. They are far less likely to stray or try to get out and get run over by an auto. I have personally seen too many pets go through being forced to have puppies or kittens at a very young age just because some owner has some kind of macho hangup about it.

Do your new pets a favor and get them spayed or neutered. It is the responsible and caring thing to do.
  13. rebel city
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 00:34
    I am shocked by what you say. It sounds terribly machist to me and I don't understand why you see a difference between spaying a female as opposed to cutting off the nuts of a male. The effect and result are exactly the same, both will lose their sexual drive and life goes on. In fact, it is much easier, and cheaper, to sterilize a male than a female. And that applies to us, the famous human race. 🙂
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 11:56
    I am shocked by what you say. It sounds terribly machist to me and I don't understand why you see a difference between spaying a female as opposed to cutting off the nuts of a male. The effect and result are exactly the same, both will lose their sexual drive and life goes on. In fact, it is much easier, and cheaper, to sterilize a male than a female. And that applies to us, the famous human race. 🙂
    castrated males are less aggressive simplezzzzz
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 19:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    They're not people.
    You're an animal! Just because they're not people it doesn't mean you can mutilate them 😠

Let me guess: you're the kind of people who agree chopping the tail off boxers and "fixing" Dobermans' ears. right? RIGHT?!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree