1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 03:331 edit
    An Original Approach To Dream Interpretation

"Is there an easy, methodical, rational, and productive way to understand dreams? Consider the following as possibly meeting those criteria.

When you have a complete dream to analyze, a beginning step is to divide it into four parts: the beginning; the early-middle; the late-middle; and the ending. This is a simple process in short dreams. Then assume that the beginning shows what the dreamer loves, the early-middle is desirable, the late-middle is undesirable, and the ending is hated.

A man dreamed this: “I went horseback riding. The horse took me through beautiful countryside. When it was time to go back I chose another path, became lost, and came to some barbed wire that blocked the path. The horse became restless and tried to throw me.” In the beginning of the dream the dreamer goes horseback riding. He loves doing that. The next part is what’s desired, so it’s desirable to him to ride through beautiful countryside. The third part reveals what’s undesirable: he wouldn’t want to get lost and have the path blocked by barbed wire. In the ending, the horse tries to throw him. He’d hate it if that happened. Does that love-desire-nondesire-hatred pattern appear in all dreams? The only exceptions I’ve found are those dreams whose plots are disrupted by external influences such as noises..." (23 October 2013, Dan Gollub)

http://www.science20.com/original_approach_interpreting_dreams-122992

Does anyone else dream often (about pleasant scenes with many familiar people as well as strangers) in color and sound?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 04:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]An Original Approach To Dream Interpretation

"Is there an easy, methodical, rational, and productive way to understand dreams? Consider the following as possibly meeting those criteria.

When you have a complete dream to analyze, a beginning step is to divide it into four parts: the beginning; the early-middle; the late-middle; and the endi ...[text shortened]... often (about pleasant scenes with many familiar people as well as strangers) in color and sound?[/b]
    I have several recurring dreams. Odd stuff too. 😕
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 04:461 edit

When you have a complete dream to analyze, a beginning step is to divide it into four parts: the beginning; the early-middle; the late-middle; and the endi ...[text shortened]... often (about pleasant scenes with many familiar people as well as strangers) in color and sound?[/b]
    I think dreams are one of the reasons some of us buy into the idea of an afterlife. Be it a true or false idea. We have adventures, without our bodies being involved. (Except it seems to involve our brains.)
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 07:59
    I think dreams often reveal how we really feel about ourselves and others.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 23:29
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think dreams are one of the reasons some of us buy into the idea of an afterlife. Be it a true or false idea. We have adventures, without our bodies being involved. (Except it seems to involve our brains.)
    JS, do you have recurring dreams?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 23:30
    Originally posted by lolof
    I think dreams often reveal how we really feel about ourselves and others.
    lolof, have you ever tried to interpret your own dreams?
  7. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 08:14
    lolof, have you ever tried to interpret your own dreams?
    Yes, I have help from my friend who is a psychotherapist.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 08:56
    Yes, I have help from my friend who is a psychotherapist.
    If I describe my next dream (whatever it happens to be) here will you consult with your friend in its interpretation?
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 09:41
    If I describe my next dream (whatever it happens to be) here will you consult with your friend in its interpretation?
    She could give a general interpretation but that's is not what you want, I guess. You probably want to know why you have that particular dream now or at the time it happened. It is all related to you and your inner life.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 18:19

Freud would be spinning in his grave to hear this.

Not that I support Freud or his ideas; I'm more aligned with Carl Jung.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 03:34
    She could give a general interpretation but that's is not what you want, I guess. You probably want to know why you have that particular dream now or at the time it happened. It is all related to you and your inner life.
    No preconceived notions or expectations, lolof; just your friend's objective interpretation.
    I'll post the next one here, no matter what its storyline or characters happen to be.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 03:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Freud would be spinning in his grave to hear this.

Not that I support Freud or his ideas; I'm more aligned with Carl Jung.
    Freud vs. Jung: what are the key differences in their respective views of dreams?
  13. Omaha H/L Stud
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 04:13

I went to a Quaker school as a child and in 7th grade and I ended taking a writing class there called "Dream Study". Its only premise was very simple: to write consistently in a dream journal for a few months.

At the time this class was just an easy self evaluation (no grades at this school), only to realize later that it would give me the first taste in the understanding of alternate realities. It was a birth of a great deep respect. A natural respect I found inside myself, of both illusion and reality, of now and here and then and everything. Ying, Yang, transdermal meditation and open mindedness on both my good and bad acid trips.

So to answer your question candidly.

Does anyone else dream often (about pleasant scenes with many familiar people as well as strangers) in color and sound?

Yes very much so, and much more so actually than I should want to admit.

But I will say this about the dreams you are writing about. I heard a wise man say only one time: it is as real as a light night as you inside the outside of me. Oh how real it must be outside the inside of you.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 06:112 edits

I remember dreaming in black and white until I was a teenager. I didn't know anyone dreamed in color until I read an article that said only 5% of people surveyed said they dreamed in color. That got me to wondering why anyone dreams in black and white. We don't live in a black and white world, and we are able to perceive color, so why do so many of us dream in black and white?

So I decided to do an experiment on myself. Everyday I would spend some time looking at things in my room and intentionally focus on their color. Sure enough, after about a week of doing this I had my first dream in color. The colors were primary and blotchy, like how the first color TVs looked, and then after a while they started looking more realistic. I've been dreaming in color ever since.

This seems to suggest, at least it did for me, that what we dream about and how those dreams look have a lot to do with what exactly we are observing when looking at the world around us. We might think we are observing everything we look at, but we don't. All of us select what it is we are observing when looking at or listening to something. And our observations are attached to emotions and thoughts about what we are looking at or listening to, so that too factors in.

I didn't begin dreaming in color until I started to consciously take note of the color of things, and I think the same applies to anything else we observe or listen to. We may think we are hearing and seeing everything, but no one actually does unless they are severely autistic. People with severe autism see and hear nearly everything because they literally cannot filter out most of it. It's difficult to look at anything if all you can see is everything...
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 15:29
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I remember dreaming in black and white until I was a teenager. I didn't know anyone dreamed in color until I read an article that said only 5% of people surveyed said they dreamed in color. That got me to wondering why anyone dreams in black and white. We don't live in a black and white world, and we are able to perceive color, so why do so many of ...[text shortened]... most of it. It's difficult to look at anything if all you can see is everything...
    This is good, much food for thought here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree