1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 09:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Is there no issue that you will not attempt to politicize and moan about the US government? Why not let the UK rule you again? Would you like that?
    Ah! Something we agree on.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 09:01
    Yes this was the reason that I fenced off the back Garden so that my rabbits could run around, they hated it in the cage even though it was large and spacious.
    I trust you pen them at night to protect them from foxes?
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 10:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I trust you pen them at night to protect them from foxes?
    Hopefully he lets them burrow into his lawn that is the only way they would feel secure.

On the general point I think one of the sadder sights in life is a gorilla sitting in a pen in the middle of some concrete jungle with its head in its hands.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 11:47
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Long time ago London Zoo was threatened with closure.
    Guy approached me in Covent Garden wanting me to sign a petition to
    "Save London Zoo". After some debate I think I persuaded him that keeping
    it open was not in the animals' best interests.
    Guy the gorilla?! 😲
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 11:58
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Guy the gorilla?! 😲
    The Stockholm Syndrome 😲
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 13:21
    Zoos can be good things, completely depends on the location and general keeping of the animals in the zoo.

I've only been to 6 zoos in my lifetime but in 4 different continents and very varied in terms of animals kept and general quality.

Obviously it's impossible to say how happy or well treated the animals really are but at least just looking at their habitat and general demeanor it's possible to assume.

The worse zoo by far was Belfast zoo, my 'home zoo'. I had been as a kid and probably enjoyed it, then again in my mid 20s with my two nephews during a nice day in summer while I was more enjoying my time with them rather than thinking about the happiness or well-being of the animals but I obviously didn't see anything to shock or appall me. Then 2 years ago a Dutch friend of mine was leaving Belfast and had never been to the zoo, it was January and she had been living there all summer but we decided to go. It was a horrible day in general in terms of weather, non stop rain the entire time but the most memorable sight was the poor frozen lions cuddled up together to keep warm, they looked so sad. Of course some of the other animals were loving it and running or swimming around without a care in the world but it really makes you think about the difference of their habitat in the zoo compared to the wild and the question has to be asked if it's fair to keep a lion or other animals whose natural habitat are completely different in these conditions.

On the plus side, zoos can be a way to educate people about various species throughout the world and more importantly about endangered or hunted animals to help protect them for future generations.
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 14:58
    Yes this was the reason that I fenced off the back Garden so that my rabbits could run around, they hated it in the cage even though it was large and spacious.
    is not a fence merely a larger cage that provides the illusion of freedom???
    who is able to leave earth in the name of freedom???
    are we not caged by our very minds being encased in a cranium cave???
    have you ever seen a horse dip his head for the bridle, ready and willing to work an entire day???
    have you ever seen bird dogs crowd into a pen, knowing they're about to be fed???
    ever watched a rookie close his eyes in anticipation as the blindfold and handcuffs are cinched???

cages are illusions, as are any "freedoms" that many hold so dear...
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 15:00
    Originally posted by phil3000 (OP)
    It breaks my heart when I see a "pet" or any other animal kept in a cage . Birds in aviaries , rabbits, gerbils etc I would have it banned ,zoo's as well .
    Agree with you, phil, along with the possible exception of some virulent online public forum trolls which are needy, clever and vicious and needy. .
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 15:03
    Originally posted by rookie54
    is not a fence merely a larger cage that provides the illusion of freedom???
    who is able to leave earth in the name of freedom???
    are we not caged by our very minds being encased in a cranium cave???
    have you ever seen a horse dip his head for the bridle, ready and willing to work an entire day???
    have you ever seen bird dogs crowd into a pen, knowing they ...[text shortened]... and handcuffs are cinched???

cages are illusions, as are any "freedoms" that many hold so dear...
    Originally posted by rookie54
    "cages are illusions, as are any "freedoms" that many hold so dear..."

Pleases clarify this sweeping generalization.

Thanks,
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 18:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Guy the gorilla?! 😲
    Guy was long gone.
    Mid eighties was the Save The Zoo campaign.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 18:24
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Zoos can be good things, .
    Who for?

The only "zoos" I would condone are those that rescue and house animals from worse conditions.

Like Monkey World in Dorset.
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 18:33
    Zoos can be good things, completely depends on the location and general keeping of the animals in the zoo.

I've only been to 6 zoos in my lifetime but in 4 different continents and very varied in terms of animals kept and general quality.

Obviously it's impossible to say how happy or well treated the animals really are but at least just looking at the ...[text shortened]... more importantly about endangered or hunted animals to help protect them for future generations.
    Totally agree Trev. This is something which far too many people see as a black and white issue, when it has always been far from being so.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 18:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Who for?

The only "zoos" I would condone are those that rescue and house animals from worse conditions.

Like Monkey World in Dorset.
    So removing animals which could be potentially poached is ok?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 19:36
    So removing animals which could be potentially poached is ok?
    No.
    Monkey world takes apes from labs, inappropriate homes and closing down zoos.
    YouTube

Here's an Austrian zoo doing similar work:
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree