Anti-virus/sptware/malware software

Anti-virus/sptware/malware software

General

Moves
26 Apr 08
1 edit

Today I removed the norton trial software that came with my laptop, so now I'm thinking I should put on some appropriate software as a 'replacement', I never registered the trial software in the first place, so it isn't really a replacement, but I digress.
Err, where is all this free software? Something appropriate for a laptop I suppose.

A link to an appropriate thread would be as good as anything.

edit: oops, spyware, not sptware. 😳

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by Bad wolf
Today I removed the norton trial software that came with my laptop, so now I'm thinking I should put on some appropriate software as a 'replacement', I never registered the trial software in the first place, so it isn't really a replacement, but I digress.
Err, where is all this free software? Something appropriate for a laptop I suppose.

A link to an appropriate thread would be as good as anything.

edit: oops, spyware, not sptware. 😳
Do you know how to google the letters A V and G, put together?

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by mikelom
Do you know how to google the letters A V and G, put together?
N o .

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by Bad wolf
N o .
😀 Well try it and don't be lazy asking somebody to find the link for you. You youngsters! 😠

oops... young adults! 😉

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
26 Apr 08

😀 Well try it and don't be lazy asking somebody to find the link for you. You youngsters! 😠

oops... young adults! 😉
Here! http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download

Just cos you asked nicely! 🙂

Moves
26 Apr 08

😏

sc

where angels play

Moves
26 Apr 08

Go to download.com and search for and download these programs.

AVG free antivirus, free and good antivirus scanner
Spyware Blaster, free real time protection against allsorts of web based nastys. You need to update this program once a week and enable all protection.
Sypbot search and destroy, free scanner and removel tool incase you do pick up any of those nastys.

Remember no program or programs will give you 100% protection but having these on your side will help

DS

Moves
26 Apr 08

Also:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
26 Apr 08

You get what you pay for....i'll say no more 😛

DS

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
You get what you pay for....i'll say no more 😛
That is a complete myth - for a start AVG free is as good at detecting and removing stuff as it's paid for counterpart.
Spywareblaster is free - what can you suggest that is better because of the fact that you pay for it?

I get all my security software free and I'll wager I have less problems than most.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
26 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
That is a complete myth - for a start AVG free is as good at detecting and removing stuff as it's paid for counterpart.
Spywareblaster is free - what can you suggest that is better because of the fact that you pay for it?

I get all my security software free and I'll wager I have less problems than most.
My friend had AVG. he ended up with a sheet load of trojans, and when i gave him a program to get rid of his adware, the program also told him to get rid of AVG.

Your free crap is a myth.

edit. I've never had a problem with my security system, except when i mistakenly downloaded the manager software with my new Nvidia video cards.

EP6
Soul Taker

Tionesta

Moves
27 Apr 08

Forced to agree with the Hound. After a life long quest, I have never found the FREE lunch. If it ever turns up Ill pass it along, but it is the "holy Grail" of the consumer. My one word of advise after having to pay a mechanic to visit my home and debug my computer ($160.00) spend the money for a good program. It will only take one time to make you a believer.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
27 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Evil Pawn 666
Forced to agree with the Hound. After a life long quest, I have never found the FREE lunch. If it ever turns up Ill pass it along, but it is the "holy Grail" of the consumer. My one word of advise after having to pay a mechanic to visit my home and debug my computer ($160.00) spend the money for a good program. It will only take one time to make you a believer.
I agree. However, I pay for AVG! I have been alerted 3 times of receving trojans and each time they have been healed. I have had nothing else enter my laptop - no problems whatsoever. So I guess what you get free as a download is nowhere near what you pay for!
So I'm afraid Hucks that I disagree with your thoughts on AVG, the paid for version - obviously.

Edit. And of course when you load any other security program it will tell you to get rid of any other.....

DS

Moves
27 Apr 08

I agree. However, I pay for AVG! I have been alerted 3 times of receving trojans and each time they have been healed. I have had nothing else enter my laptop - no problems whatsoever. So I guess what you get free as a download is nowhere near what you pay for!
So I'm afraid Hucks that I disagree with your thoughts on AVG, the paid for version - obviously. ...[text shortened]... f course when you load any other security program it will tell you to get rid of any other.....
The AVG free version would have alerted and healed exactly the same as the paid version.

Of course its usually EASIER to just pay up for the software but you can save yourself some money if you can be bothered.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
27 Apr 08

Originally posted by Evil Pawn 666
Do you seriously believe that paid-for software is 100% secure?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.