1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 09:391 edit
    Australian English has its original roots in Liverpool English rather than London English. "Yous" was stomped on severely in school because it was considered to be low-class ignorance. You still hear it occasionally in very poor backward areas where education was inadequate, but you'd never see it in print even in textspeak.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 09:41
    @torunn said
    May I also add, please leave out quotation marks where not needed. If a word is not right, pick another one that is.
    Alas, there are too many cases where calling a situation "interesting" is allowed, but using the right word could get you fired or censored.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 09:47
    @shallow-blue said
    Alas, there are too many cases where calling a situation "interesting" is allowed, but using the right word could get you fired or censored.
    So what about interesting? Isn't it what it is?
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 09:55
    @torunn said
    At least in Germany People use "interesting" as a measn tnot to say something openly negative as in: "tastes interesting" not "it is not palatable"...

We do have a Problem, when People confuce "encouragement" with "not say anything which could be understood as critical".

And I do hope to have used the quotes correctly πŸ˜‰
    As was asked for in the OP I didn't use any Apostrophe, with the exception of this sentence, where I am quite sure it was ok πŸ˜‰ )
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 10:031 edit
    @petewxyz said
    So what's the plural of 'it' then? This thread contains a good number of its!

Okay, just being awkward, that is probably why I am enjoying learning chess!
    Hahaha! I like the way you think Pete.

It's difficult to determine its origin, but "its" plural possessive form must be its'. πŸ˜‰
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 10:04
    @kewpie said
    Australian English has its original roots in Liverpool English rather than London English. "Yous" was stomped on severely in school because it was considered to be low-class ignorance. You still hear it occasionally in very poor backward areas where education was inadequate, but you'd never see it in print even in textspeak.
    That shows how perceptions can be so different on the other side of the globe. In England Scouser are viewed as classy and debonair. 🀣
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 10:06
    @petewxyz said
    That shows how perceptions can be so different on the other side of the globe. In England Scouser are viewed as classy and debonair. 🀣
    Cheeky!!! πŸ˜€
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 10:54
    @torunn said
    You in Swedish is 'du' for singular, 'ni' for plural.
    In the American South, "y'all" is the plural form of "you", a contracted form of "you all."
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 11:00
    @moonbus said
    In the American South, "y'all" is the plural form of "you", a contracted form of "you all."
    That's a good way.
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 11:301 edit
    @moonbus said
    You could link the port of Liverpool to the southern states due to the slave triangle but since you could also link it to the north east of America through the Irish migration from the potato famine there wouldn't be too much science in that. Anybody know how y'all began?
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 11:38
    @torunn said
    Not when the terms you want to use, but can't, are "cluster#@&^" and "multi-level ^&#@storm".

Censored, because right here on this forum, I'm allowed the word "interesting".
  12. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 11:43
    @petewxyz

When a Scouser says "I'm gonna burst ya" you get their intention.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:04
    @hells-caretaker said
    @petewxyz

When a Scouser says "I'm gonna burst ya" you get their intention.
    If you stick it in Google translate you don't get Scouse detected. This is why machines will never replace people.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:09
    @kewpie said
    If you don't know what it's for, just leave the $#!β‚© thing out. PLEASE!
    Your too wrapped up in English grammar and where an Apostrophe, or comma, semicolon should go...This is a chess site with people from different countries who speak different languages, not everyone can speak perfect English.

-VR
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:111 edit
    @petewxyz said
    So to one person 'You are drunk'
    To a group 'Yous are all drunk'
    "You" was originally 2nd person plural.
    "Thou" was 2nd person singular.

So
    Thou art drunk!

edit: fixed - changed "thee" to "thou"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree