1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:13
    @wolfe63 said
    It's difficult to determine its origin, but "its" plural possessive form must be its'. 😉
    A quick research reveals that the possessive - it's - was originally correct.
    (200 years ago)
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:21
    @wolfgang59 said
    (200 years ago)
    Perhaps we need a "Proper English Forum"?

-VR
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:23
    @wolfgang59 said
    "You" was originally 2nd person plural.
    "Thee" was 2nd person singular.

So
    Thee art drunk!
    Why not 'Thou art drunk'??
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:24
    @petewxyz said
    Who the hell says "Thou art drunk" in today's world?

-VR
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:25
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Apparently, not "thee". 😲
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:28
    @wolfgang59 said
    (200 years ago)
    Ah, but Wolfe is going for plural possessive so you have to somehow construct a sentence in which there are loads of its and they all collectively own something. If this thread becomes about its such that they own the thread you could say 'It's the its' thread' perhaps?
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:30
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    You haven't been drinking with enough vicars.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:33
    I'm quite tolerant of less than perfect grammar, but when it comes to apostrophes I'd like to toss the lot. And umlauts and the like too. I want a phonetic alphabet, one where c and k never sound the same and spelling isn't such an onerous chore.

As a child I campaigned for a phonetic alphabet and a logical calendar, one with four 13-week quarters (4,4,5) plus a day or sometimes two days which got special treatment. Of course I never had a chance of getting any of it.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:38
    @kewpie said
    I'm quite tolerant of less than perfect grammar, but when it comes to apostrophes I'd like to toss the lot. And umlauts and the like too. I want a phonetic alphabet, one where c and k never sound the same and spelling isn't such an onerous chore.

As a child I campaigned for a phonetic alphabet and a logical calendar, one with four 13-week quarters (4,4,5) plus a day or ...[text shortened]... ometimes two days which got special treatment. Of course I never had a chance of getting any of it.
    Now that reminds me of the classic Python sketch with the guy who can't say c so he uses b instead. It's pointed out to him that he should try using k instead. He concludes, 'I have been a silly bunt'.
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:40
    @kewpie said

As a child I campaigned for a phonetic alphabet and a logical calendar, one with four 13-week quarters (4,4,5) plus a day or ...[text shortened]... ometimes two days which got special treatment. Of course I never had a chance of getting any of it.
    I agree. Who cares if "i" comes before "e" except after...so many useless rules. Phonetics is the way to go.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:421 edit
    @petewxyz said
    Correct.
    I am wrong. 😢

edit: Have changed the original post to reflect your correction
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:46
    @kewpie said

So no biggy really, you just want to change the English language as it now exists! 😉

-VR
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:48
    @petewxyz said
    You haven't been drinking with enough vicars.
    I haven't touched a drink since March 22nd of 1992....FYI!!!

-VR
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:51
    @very-rusty said
    I haven't touched a drink since March 22nd of 1992....FYI!!!

-VR
    What a waste of 28 years
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:54
    @wolfgang59 said
    What a waste of 28 years
    Wow....28 years already, couldn't have been better actually!!! 😛

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree