Auckland lockdown 🧐

Auckland lockdown 🧐

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
12 Aug 20

NZ has been impeccable at handling the COVID-19 situation so far.

Wolfgang59 and any other NZ residents is this lockdown a bit of a knee jerk reaction to a small number of cases?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Aug 20

@divegeester said
NZ has been impeccable at handling the COVID-19 situation so far.

Wolfgang59 and any other NZ residents is this lockdown a bit of a knee jerk reaction to a small number of cases?
Overly cautious perhaps, but part of a planned response.
Certainly not a "knee jerk" reaction.

I do feel the public response, here on the South Island, is rather less
sympathetic than the initial lockdown. There is a feeling of "been there,
done that" and everyone wants to move on. We thought we had beaten C-19, ..

Moves
12 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said

I do feel the public response, here on the South Island, is rather less
sympathetic than the initial lockdown. There is a feeling of "been there,
done that" and everyone wants to move on. We thought we had beaten C-19, ..
Yes this is the vibe is part of the UK too although the beach lifers are a law unto themselves anyway.

I’m wondering if at the other end of the muddled communication/wooly guidelines spectrum is lockdown fatigue and a casual non compliance. Maybe it’s inevitable.

Moves
13 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
We thought we had beaten C-19, ..
Probably Impossible unless you completely close your borders to everyone including those bringing food.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Aug 20

@trev33 said
Probably Impossible unless you completely close your borders to everyone including those bringing food.
The official NZ strategy is "elimination".
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-elimination-strategy-aotearoa-new-zealand

The latest cluster of 15 is under control.

We have had no shortages in food or anything else.

Moves
14 Aug 20

I guess its easier for an island nation with a small population to control the spread, maybe if the entire world stood still for a month it would be completely eradicated. Not going to happen unfortunately.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
14 Aug 20

@trev33 said
I guess its easier for an island nation with a small population to control the spread,
Like Ireland?

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
14 Aug 20

@wolfgang59
Like anyware🤷‍♂️ I got on the bus from Chorley back to Bolton (U.K.) - NEED A MASK. Ok get on & the amount of people without??? FFS...

Moves
14 Aug 20

@hells-caretaker said
@wolfgang59
Like anyware🤷‍♂️ I got on the bus from Chorley back to Bolton (U.K.) - NEED A MASK. Ok get on & the amount of people without??? FFS...
You probably won’t get challenged now as businesses are supporting people with special exemption. I see signs up now advising customers not to challenge people not wearing one.

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
14 Aug 20
1 edit

Ah ha... Seretide inhaler for asthma, wave that in the face. "Me no need for stincking mask gringo"

🚬

Moves
14 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
Like Ireland?
No, two countries on the island with different rules, plus anyone in mainland Britain is free to travel to N. Ireland and then south with any quarantine so really can't compare the two.

Moves
14 Aug 20

@divegeester said
You probably won’t get challenged now as businesses are supporting people with special exemption. I see signs up now advising customers not to challenge people not wearing one.
If they were serious about the rule they'd make it illegal not to wear a mask without having a medical exemption card. Not sure about the rest of the UK but here it's up to the individual businesses to enforce the rule, hasn't been a fine on public transport yet and plenty not wearing masks.

Australia

Moves
14 Aug 20
1 edit

Some people think they can do what they like, and it's best not to challenge them. Either they're medically exempt, or they're nasty people and will take their nastiness out on the challenger. Same goes for other Covid rule breakers.
Our police are everywhere and handing out very big fines, but even that doesn't stop them and at least 3 policemen have ended up needing hospital repairs. One guy has collected ten $1600 fines so far.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
14 Aug 20

@trev33 said
No, two countries on the island with different rules, plus anyone in mainland Britain is free to travel to N. Ireland and then south with any quarantine so really can't compare the two.
Oh I agree.
But it could have been possible.

The geographies of Ireland and NZ are similar but not the politics.
(Although there once was a small movement for independence for the South Island)

Moves
14 Aug 20

@trev33 said
Not sure about the rest of the UK but here it's up to the individual businesses to enforce the rule, hasn't been a fine on public transport yet and plenty not wearing masks.
Pretty much the same in the rest of the UK.

I’ve walked into shops without wearing a mask because I’ve forgotten to put it on and I don’t get challenged; I soon remember and put on but no one bats a COVID eye.