1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 06:471 edit
    Wishing to disguise one's baldness from strangers ~ I can get my head around, more or less.

But for a man to continue to wear a wig even after everyone knows he's wearing a wig ~ I find harder to understand.

Would it also be OK for a man to go around wearing an artificial moustache ~ or beard or imperial ~ to cover up a hairless lower face? And to do so even when everyone knows the man is in fact clean shaven?

What bearing should the psychological issues underpinning the inclination to continue to conceal baldness (from people who know that the baldness is right there under the obvious wig) have upon the assessment of a man's fitness for high office?
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wishing to disguise one's baldness from strangers ~ I can get my head around, more or less.

But for a man to continue to wear a wig even after everyone knows he's wearing a wig ~ I find harder to understand.

Would it also be OK for a man to go around wearing an artificial moustache ~ or beard or imperial ~ to cover up a hairless lower face? And to do so ...[text shortened]... right there under the obvious wig) have upon the assessment of a man's fitness for high office?
    Why not just come right out with it and say Trump is an a$$hole. After all, it's perfectly true.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:36
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Why not just come right out with it and say Trump is an a$$hole. After all, it's perfectly true.
    Trump may well be as you describe him, but that's not to say that all men who wear not-in-the-slightest-bit-secret-wigs are. The reference to Trump was a tongue in cheek dig at a hard-to-like politician (although a staggering number do) tacked on to the end of a genuine question. 🙂
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:391 edit
    Correction: '...a staggering number of a$$holes do.'

Personally, I don't see wig-keeping-on-in-private as a reason to think a man or woman may not be fit to hold office.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:42
    Personally, I don't see wig-keeping-on-in-private as a reason to think a man or woman may not be fit to hold office.
    Yes, my reference to that was a tongue in cheek comment tacked on to the end of a genuine OP question.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:461 edit
    What reason is there to interfere if a man chooses to wear a false moustache or imperial even when people know he is clean shaven?

I suppose to some it would be ok, to others not ok. I would probably find it a little strange (in the context of the culture in which I live) and would probably avoid talking to men like this, as I generally avoid talking to men who give inordinate amounts of attention to their appearance.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:50
    What reason is there to interfere if a man chooses to wear a false moustache or imperial even when people know he is clean shaven?
    I don't know of any plan to interfere. The OP is about trying to understand the motivations and behaviour of certain people.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:52
    Originally posted by FMF

Would it also be OK for a man to go around wearing an artificial moustache ~ or beard or imperial ~ to cover up a hairless lower face? And to do so ...[text shortened]... right there under the obvious wig) have upon the assessment of a man's fitness for high office?
    I think men wearing wigs reveals a deep insecurity. Most are visibly obvious and completely ridiculous. I suppose Elton John's loos ok but he is somewhat ridiculous anyway so the wig kind of goes along with it.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]I don't know of any plan to interfere./b]
    So do you know of a man in your community who does this?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:55
    What reason is there to interfere if a man chooses to wear a false moustache or imperial even when people know he is clean shaven
    Surely nobody wears a false moustache these days, you they?
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:55
    I seem to remember a strand in Grange Hill about Mr Bronson wearing a wig.
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Surely nobody wears a false moustache these days, you they?
    I'm just replying to FMF's OP, guv'nor. 🙂
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:58
    I'm just replying to FMF's OP, guv'nor. 🙂
    Yes, me too. I've never even considered the possibility of a false moustache. I have to be honest, I'd find that quite amusing if I met a man wearing one. 😵
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:00
    This is very interesting from a philosophical point of view.

Self-deception means acquiring and maintaining a belief despite the
    evidence to the contrary. And the trigger is obviously the desire to
    feel what it feels to retain that belief. There's agreement on that
    front. Where thinkers diverge is on the intentionality of the self-
    deception, and if it is morally problematic.

Although the most interesting debate is about the differences
    between wishful thinking and self-deception, in which one
    school states that the latter is intentional while the former is not,
    the most polemic one (and henceforth juicy for the purpose of
    this forum) is the one related to moral responsibility. If self-deception
    is intentional, contrary to wishful thinking, is the self-deceiver responsible?

Many philosophers think so, depending on how innocuous the
    situation is, and thus tag self-deception as morally objectionable
    on the grounds that it corrupts the conscience, violates authenticity,
    and, in general, evidences a lack of self-control.

So, according to this line of thought, the only philosopher I know
    who actually spoke about this was Sartre and, for him, the person
    wearing a wig is a quack who is consciously violating his or her
    authenticity.

Rough? Maybe, but it makes you think.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:05
    So do you know of a man in your community who does this?
    Yes. A couple of people I sometimes encounter. One is a low level politician who has a jet black toupee that sits on top of a kind of skirting of longish totally silver hair that protrudes from beneath it. Another one is a man ~ who delivers our water every week ~ who for some reason doesn't bother to wear it about 20% of the time. I don't really understand the motivations of either of them and I'd rather hear the speculations of good folk like yourself than ask them face to face.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree