1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. A couple of people I sometimes encounter. One is a low level politician who has a jet black toupee that sits on top of a kind of skirting of longish totally silver hair that protrudes from beneath it. Another one is a man ~ who delivers our water every week ~ who for some reason doesn't bother to wear it about 20% of the time. I don't really understand the ...[text shortened]... them and I'd rather hear the speculations of good folk like yourself than ask them face to face.
    I believe you live in Indonesia? I wouldn't be able to shed any light on the motivations of people in a culture and place so far away from East Hertfordshire.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:16
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I believe you live in Indonesia? I wouldn't be able to shed any light on the motivations of people in a culture and place so far away from East Hertfordshire.
    People are perhaps more alike than you assume. One of the insights that you gain from living in different countries for long periods of time is that you go from finding everything amazingly different for some years to then (gradually) realizing that we have far more in common than what differentiates us. I grew up in Hertfordshire too. I would hazard a guess that the psychology of male wigs back there and where I am now have much in common.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    People are perhaps more alike than you assume. One of the insights that you gain from living in different countries for long periods of time is that you go from finding everything amazingly different for some years to then (gradually) realizing that we have far more in common than what differentiates us. I grew up in Hertfordshire too. I would hazard a guess that the psychology of male wigs back there and where I am now have much in common.
    I guess you're right, but my milieu and geographic stamping grounds have been very constrained for several years (for reasons I won't go into) and I'm not confident in my insights as a result. I'm not even sure I could spot a wig at five paces! πŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:27
    I guess you're right, but my milieu and geographic stamping grounds have been very constrained for several years (for reasons I won't go into) and I'm not confident in my insights as a result. I'm not even sure I could spot a wig at five paces! πŸ™‚
    To bring up Trump again, do you think such an outwardly confident man actually feels a lack of confidence about his hair or do you think it might simply be a decision akin to what kind of shoes to wear, whether to wear a baseball cap back to front, or a bracelet around his neck?
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    To bring up Trump again, do you think such an outwardly confident man actually feels a lack of confidence about his hair or do you think it might simply be a decision akin to what kind of shoes to wear, whether to wear a baseball cap back to front, or a bracelet around his neck?
    I actually have no idea. I've paid almost zero attention to him during my life, including during his campaign to run for the Republican presidential nomination. And I don't intend to change that anytime soon.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:32
    I actually have no idea. I've paid almost zero attention to him during my life, including during his campaign to run for the Republican presidential nomination. And I don't intend to change that anytime soon.
    Bang goes my plan to suggest that when I'm next in St.Albans we could meet up and talk about him.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Bang goes my plan to suggest that when I'm next in St.Albans we could meet up and talk about him.
    I'd be happy to meet you for a coffee and a game of chess if I could get there that day, but we'd have to talk about anything but Trump. Unless by some misfortune he is then actually the US president, in which case I'll probably have done some reading about his life and business interests.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:56
    I'd be happy to meet you for a coffee and a game of chess if I could get there that day, but we'd have to talk about anything but Trump. Unless by some misfortune he is then actually the US president, in which case I'll probably have done some reading about his life and business interests.
    Sounds good. But I reckon, if Trump wins the nomination, he'll get about 32% of the vote in the General Election ~ or even less if he picks his syrup of figs as his Vice President. πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 14:47
    I'm bald (ish) and have never even considered a toupee but I sport a beard and have done so for a very long time (well before my pate hair decided to leave me). Did I ever consider wearing a toupee? Nope never. It's who I am. Do I think men shouldn't wear one? Nope. It's a personal choice. Now some, I have to admit really don't fool anyone and to me that's bit sad, though I suspect those that wear them don't see it as such.
  10. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 15:23
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I'm bald (ish) and have never even considered a toupee but I sport a beard and have done so for a very long time (well before my pate hair decided to leave me). Did I ever consider wearing a toupee? Nope never. It's who I am. Do I think men shouldn't wear one? Nope. It's a personal choice. Now some, I have to admit really don't fool anyone and to me that's bit sad, though I suspect those that wear them don't see it as such.
    A quick glance at a bald man with a beard sometimes looks like he has his head on up side down. πŸ™‚
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 15:24
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    A quick glance at a bald man with a beard sometimes looks like he has his head on up side down. πŸ™‚
    There were times when I felt like that.
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 18:29
    This kind of solution for baldness used to be quite common.

YouTube

The youtube is a short advert for Hamlet cigars
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 18:35
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    This kind of solution for baldness used to be quite common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvNdhriwGuM

The youtube is a short advert for Hamlet cigars
    Nice do. πŸ˜‰
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 22:361 edit
    The desire to wear a wig/toupe in men is, I believe, sometimes a matter of public image. Some well-known actors have successfully gone bald gradually (Patrick Stewart, Bruce Willis, and Sean Connery come to mind), whereas others wouldn't have been accepted by the public.

Bill Shatner, for example, had a long hiatus between the original Star Trek tv episodes and the big screen movies, during which he went bald--I doubt the fans would have accepted him as a bald Captain Kirk in the movies.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 23:03
    I have two types of bald or balding friends. One type just go bald or a bit bald and that is that. There seem to be no issues surrounding it. The other type look at the partial distribution of the hair and simply decide to cut it all off. I would say, my impression is that the latter course of action became increasingly popular or common through the 90s and then in the last 15 years more especially.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree