1. RSA
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 19:35
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Best.
    1. Welwyn Garden City: well laid out.
    2. Slough: sensible one-way system
    3. St. Albans: charity shops and fast food and coffee in the High Street, unencumbered by any other type of shop

Worst.
    1. Paris: too romantic for its own good
    2. Ibiza: not much good if you like dixieland music and other trad jazz
    3. Rome: two popes wear the crown, as predicted, no good will come of it, Fatima, homosexuals, you name it
    I hope this is a joke.

Slough is a dump.
  2. RSA
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 19:462 edits
    Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts
    Best:
    Sydney Harbour Bridge - I was fortunate enough to go up while dusk approached and it was awesome.
    Paris - Honeymoon and an amazing city generally (next time will incorporate Euro-Disney for the kids)
    Franz Josef Glazier - on the South Island of New Zealand, I did a heli-hike and it was awesome.

Worst:

Grand Canyon - Disappointing, just ...[text shortened]... enjoyable. Will be trying again this year in a trailer-tent, so hoping for a better experience.
    I can't say I'm a huge fan of camping either. Especially not since I was marooned in the desert for three weeks as part of my school's "become a man" initiative. They call the area I went to the Sederberg, supposedly because there are nice cedar trees. They f***ing lied. There wasn't a single tree for miles around. Good luck finding shade in 37-degree heat, or a path to walk on. As I arrived back at base camp on the last day I had not found any water for nearly 24 hours and was on the verge of collapsing and I had 25 blisters.

Sleeping alone on the slopes of Sneeuberg on a hard, cold rock living in fear of snakes and scorpions wanting to share my sleeping bag was hardly my idea of fun.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 21:342 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    What experiences have you had that far exceeded your expectations?
    And what were those that left you feeling deflated?
    Top 3 for each.
    Best
    Ras Mohamed national park, Sinai - dived all the sites several times, simply spectacular
    Pompeii, epically wonderful. Rome of course and Italy generally.
    Glastonbury Tor; at midnight after some magic mushroom tea on a clear stary summer night.

Worst
    Capri (also for me)
    Paris, has its moments of course, but generally doesn’t live up to its romantic image, traffic is the worst, service is shockingly bad, airports are abysmal especially CDG.
    Dubai. Just don’t bother.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 23:21
    Originally posted by @russ

edit : "Size {of Pyramids} is underwhelming." Not my experience.
    I had built up this trip in my head for decades - you see so many images
    in books and film - that I had effectively ruined it for myself.
    Knossos was a disappointment too.

Someone said Pompeii ... yes, absolutely brilliant. But try Ephesus.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 23:46
    Originally posted by @russ
    I did this trip as a guest of a company who [b]really did not want staff kidnapped.

Armed guards improved the experience considerably. 🙂

edit : "Size is underwhelming." Not my experience.[/b]
    Maybe he was conned and taken to the wrong pyramid?
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 23:53
    Twice Rome has been mentioned in the worse places... clearly didn't have the pesto lasagne in the restaurant i went to. Best dish therefore best city ever.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 00:10
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Sorry to report sir, but if you were to return to St Albans's today your experience would be quite different. (Nice little market though).
    According to the St. Albans Facebook group I am a member of, there is virtually no other kind of business or retail outlet in St.Peter's Street or High Street nowadays aside from charity shops, One Pound stores, coffee shops and fast food outlets. The hollowing out process was already well underway in 2001 when I was last there. Gone are the days of my youth when there were department stores, bookshops, banks, supermarkets, a hardware store, a toy shop, record store, travel agent, bakery, butcher, chemist etc. etc.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 02:25
    Originally posted by @trev33
    Twice Rome has been mentioned in the worse places... clearly didn't have the pesto lasagne in the restaurant i went to. Best dish therefore best city ever.
    I highly recommend Naples for your Italian gastronomic pleasure.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 05:501 edit
    Worst: E. Germany (1989, the Wall had just been breached, but before unification). I went out to dinner with three locals; my friends called the waitress over to tell her the wine was corked; she tasted it, spat it out, and accused us, the customers, of having poured something into the bottle to ruin it; there ensued an argument between the waitress and my friends. Outrageous service, lousy food, too.

Best: Rhodes. Wonderful climate, good food, friendly service, they bend over backwards to make a visitor feel comfortable and have a good time.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 06:12
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Best: Rhodes. Wonderful climate, good food, friendly service, they bend over backwards to make a visitor feel comfortable and have a good time.
    Never been disappointed by any Greek island.
    I really wanted this thread to be about unexpected delights and disappointments.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 06:222 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I highly recommend Naples for your Italian gastronomic pleasure.
    Strange I didn’t like the place, but to be fair we went for the museum which was unexpectedly closed. I found it to be a bit of a grotty place with a lot of vagrancy. Food was good though, absolutely.

Did you go to Sorrento?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 06:252 edits
    There is a wonderful place in Italy called Lecce which has some stunning ancient Roman artefacts including a amphitheater. I just love Italy to be fair.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 06:28
    Originally posted by @trev33
    I don’t get it either; first time I visited I spent the entire trip wandering around within my mouth open.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 09:112 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I don’t get it either; first time I visited I spent the entire trip wandering around within my mouth open.
    It wasn't bad (my worst vacation though), just didn't turn out to be the experience I had thought. But as we all know, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 09:21
    Originally posted by @fmf
    According to the St. Albans Facebook group I am a member of, there is virtually no other kind of business or retail outlet in St.Peter's Street or High Street nowadays aside from charity shops, One Pound stores, coffee shops and fast food outlets. The hollowing out process was already well underway in 2001 when I was last there. Gone are the days of my youth wh ...[text shortened]... ts, a hardware store, a toy shop, record store, travel agent, bakery, butcher, chemist etc. etc.
    They have a TK Max. That's never a good thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree