1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 10:02
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Strange I didn’t like the place, but to be fair we went for the museum which was unexpectedly closed. I found it to be a bit of a grotty place with a lot of vagrancy. Food was good though, absolutely.

Did you go to Sorrento?
    Yes, several times , but long ago.
    I love the Southern Italy I remember.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 10:27
    Originally posted by @torunn
    It wasn't bad (my worst vacation though), just didn't turn out to be the experience I had thought. But as we all know, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
    For sure. Did you visit the Forum and the Colosseum?
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 11:01
    For sure. Did you visit the Forum and the Colosseum?
    Yes I did, I was very impressed by the Colosseum. It was the Roman atmosphere I wasnt comfortable with. Maybe I should give it another try together with an enthusiastic guide? πŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 11:04
    Yes I did, I was very impressed by the Colosseum. It was the Roman atmosphere I wasnt comfortable with. Maybe I should give it another try together with an enthusiastic guide? πŸ™‚
    Do you mean too many tourists, or you felt uneasy about pick-pockets etc, that sort of thing?
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 11:09
    Do you mean too many tourists, or you felt uneasy about pick-pockets etc, that sort of thing?
    There was something missing in the encounter with people, the lack of curiosity which I find so heartwarming with the British and Americans for example. What I felt was indifference.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 11:53
    There was something missing in the encounter with people, the lack of curiosity which I find so heartwarming with the British and Americans for example. What I felt was indifference.
    That’s a shame, I think I know what you mean though. It’s a kind of “we’re here just to serve the tourists” kind of vibe, rather than real Rome people.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 11:571 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Never been disappointed by any Greek island.
    I really wanted this thread to be about unexpected delights and disappointments.
    I guess E. Germany wasn't an unexpected disappointment; the whole country was a wreck.

And "yes" to Greek Islands; been to Santorini and Crete, too; always good fun.

An unexpected disappointment for me was Stonehenge. Busloads of tourists were arriving, the police had cordoned off the stones, and we couldn't get within a 100 meters of it. Had to look at it from a distance with people jostling for position on all sides. Yuk.

An unexpected surprise by comparison was Avebury. No tourists at all, just the locals in the village. Avebury covers more ground than Stonehenge, and we could walk right up to the stones and even climb on them. Very impressive.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 12:27
    I don’t get it either; first time I visited I spent the entire trip wandering around within my mouth open.
    From the sounds of it people just have an unrealistic expectation. So when they walk down a smelly street or encounter a rude smelly person the whole trip is ruined... also i can imagine being put off by the crowds during summer. I went late September when the weather was still great and it was still busy but not overly packed. Id put it with Edinburgh as my favourite cities in Europe. Looking forward to Athens in August which I've never been to before.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 12:361 edit
    Originally posted by @trev33
    From the sounds of it people just have an unrealistic expectation. So when they walk down a smelly street or encounter a rude smelly person the whole trip is ruined... also i can imagine being put off by the crowds during summer. I went late September when the weather was still great and it was still busy but not overly packed. Id put it with Edinburgh as my ...[text shortened]... favourite cities in Europe. Looking forward to Athens in August which I've never been to before.
    I don't quite remember what I had expected but I just had that empty feeling as though something was missing. I may give it another try however together with people who really appreciate Rome and that may make all the difference.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 13:17
    From the sounds of it people just have an unrealistic expectation. So when they walk down a smelly street or encounter a rude smelly person the whole trip is ruined... also i can imagine being put off by the crowds during summer. I went late September when the weather was still great and it was still busy but not overly packed. Id put it with Edinburgh as my ...[text shortened]... favourite cities in Europe. Looking forward to Athens in August which I've never been to before.
    We first visited Rome in late February and fortunately the weather was sunny but cold in the shade. No real crowds although a 30 minute queue to get into St Peters.

Athens is ridiculously hot in summer, but I don’t expect you’ll be going then. Greek history is fun.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 13:201 edit
    I don't quite remember what I had expected but I just had that empty feeling as though something was missing. I may give it another try however together with people who really appreciate Rome and that may make all the difference.
    Depends if you like the ancient history enough. For me the emotion of walking on the slabs of the Via Sacra which had been trod by emperors in the past was astonishing and of course nothing like Hollywood depicts it. Although the Froum is mostly gone I still found it incredible. The view from the Palestine hill over the Tiber and Rome was dreamy and I remember thinking that I could tell why these leaders thought they were gods.

Tip, budget and pay for private guides.
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 13:23
    Depends if you like the ancient history enough. For me the emotion of walking on the slabs of the Via Sacra which had been trod by emperors in the past was astonishing and of course nothing like Hollywood depicts it. Although the Froum is mostly gone I still found it incredible. The view from the Palestine hill over the Tiber and Rome was dreamy and I r ...[text shortened]... could tell why these leaders thought they were gods.

Tip, budget and pay for private guides.
    You could have made an excellent guide, Dive! Thanks for the tip.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 13:28
    I spent the entire trip wandering around within my mouth open.
    Were you also wearing a smock and a hat with straw sticking it out of it?
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '18 21:16
    We first visited Rome in late February and fortunately the weather was sunny but cold in the shade. No real crowds although a 30 minute queue to get into St Peters.

Athens is ridiculously hot in summer, but I don’t expect you’ll be going then. Greek history is fun.
    The Vatican is busy all year around i think, for sure worth buying tickets online. I wasn't a huge fan of Florence tbh.

I will be going at the end of summer, i love hot though. Should be fine.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Feb '18 01:40
    . Looking forward to Athens in August which I've never been to before.
    One of my favourite cities.
    Of course the Acropolis is a must see but try Lykavittos for the view.
    Last time we walked up and got the cable car down.
    I'd recommend the other way round!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree