1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 May '14 22:231 edit
    Not a tech head myself, but bluetooth communication does not necessarily include bluetooth audio communication. Take your laptop and its bluetooth dongle and the earphones to an audio shop which isn't just a box-seller.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 May '14 06:47
    "Only mention of blue tooth in device manager is 'Generic Bluetooth radio and Microsoft bluetooth enumerator."

Does the bluetooth device deliver with some sort of 'control center'? Logitech devices, for example, do (separate software package, in addition to the device driver). This allows for fine tuning of the device over and above what the Win XP settings allow.
  3. In your face
    Moves
    11 May '14 07:03
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "Only mention of blue tooth in device manager is 'Generic Bluetooth radio and Microsoft bluetooth enumerator."

Does the bluetooth device deliver with some sort of 'control center'? Logitech devices, for example, do (separate software package, in addition to the device driver). This allows for fine tuning of the device over and above what the Win XP settings allow.
    There doesn't appear to be any control centre other than window's own and no new programs were installed after the dongle was installed. I've tried updating windows with the very latest updates, which hasn't worked. It's looking like the dongle isn't suitable isn't it.
    If I get another, not sure what I should be looking for as this one claims to be suitable for Bluetooth headsets and voice data.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 May '14 12:35
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    There doesn't appear to be any control centre other than window's own and no new programs were installed after the dongle was installed. I've tried updating windows with the very latest updates, which hasn't worked. It's looking like the dongle isn't suitable isn't it.
    If I get another, not sure what I should be looking for as this one claims to be suitable for Bluetooth headsets and voice data.
    I suggest searching other pc-specific user forums before buying another dongle to see whether there are unresolved issues. I have had good success with Logitech devices.
  5. In your face
    Moves
    11 May '14 12:49
    I suggest searching other pc-specific user forums before buying another dongle to see whether there are unresolved issues. I have had good success with Logitech devices.
    I spent three hours trawling through forums the other night without finding an answer. I'll have a look at logitech and seek advice when I go i the local electronics stall I think.

Cheers
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 May '14 14:13
    Obviously not read a single word of OP.

😞
    So I suppose the word 'bluetooth' in my post was just a lucky guess? 😕
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 May '14 05:00
    I spent three hours trawling through forums the other night without finding an answer. I'll have a look at logitech and seek advice when I go i the local electronics stall I think.

Cheers
    Are there other bluetooth devices (mouse, keyboard) within range which could be interfering with the dongle? Remember that bluetooth radiates up and down as well as sideways--if you are in a hi-rise block, there could be bluetooth interference from one floor above or below you.
  8. In your face
    Moves
    12 May '14 18:52
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    So I suppose the word 'bluetooth' in my post was just a lucky guess? 😕
    OKay you read one word. Thanks.
  9. In your face
    Moves
    12 May '14 18:53
    Are there other bluetooth devices (mouse, keyboard) within range which could be interfering with the dongle? Remember that bluetooth radiates up and down as well as sideways--if you are in a hi-rise block, there could be bluetooth interference from one floor above or below you.
    I hadn't cnsidered that but yes it is quite possible. I live in an old house converted into several flats.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 May '14 22:56

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    12 May '14 23:311 edit
    Are there any bluetooth gurus out there? I have recently purchased a dongle and a set of bluetooth earphones for my PC. I have linked the dongle and the earphones and these show in my bluetooth devices. Problem is, if I play any music on the internet or otherwise, no music comes through.
    I've read tutorials on the internet for three hours and still ...[text shortened]... tion in there, only my onboard sound card - Realtek HD.
    Currently running Windows XP - SP3 OEM.
    If there is no bluetooth option in your audio output settings, it's likely the driver for the dongle isn't installed, or is corrupt. First, unplug it and plug it back in. If you see a balloon in your taskbar saying something like, "Found new UPnP device: Bluetooth _____", and then "The drivers for this device have been successfully installed", go back to the audio settings and try again. If no luck, look at the icons at the right hand side of the taskbar (the system tray). Hover the mouse over each, or double-click, or right click (anything until you can tell what they are). The software might be running there.

Otherwise, search online for the exact make and model of the dongle, and download the driver for Windows XP. Get the most up-to-date version, and if possible get it directly from the manufacturer's website. If there is no make and model number, try searching for Broadcom generic bluetooth driver, and see if you can find anything suitable.

To install, first unzip the folder. If there's an obvious 'setup' file (an .exe file) double-click it and let the install happen. Otherwise, note the location of the unzipped folder, go to Device Manager, find the dongle under (I think) 'Bluetooth devices' (it might be called Unknown device and have an exclamation point or warning triangle on it's little icon). Double-click it and find the option to install a driver. Then choose "from a specific location or disk" and choose the driver's folder.

As someone has said, it's quite likely that it has it's own control panel somewhere (probably in the system tray, but possibly found by going to All Programs, or maybe even directly in the Program Files folder or the root (C: ) folder.)

It's also possible the earphones are faulty, or even that there's a switch on them or the cord somewhere that you have missed.

You must have had messages from Microsoft telling you that Windows XP support has ended. Take them seriously, you should upgrade to Vista, 7 or 8 before you get a major virus (if you don't already have one). Make sure your system can run the OS you want to upgrade to beforehand (I recommend Windows 7). (Actually, I recommend buying a Mac and not having to worry about viruses, but if you have a lot of peripherals that aren't compatible with Macs it could be expensive to replace them, plus your Windows software won't work on the Mac without a virtualisation program). If your system will only run XP or earlier and you can't buy a new computer because you're short of funds, consider the free Ubuntu Linux, but be prepared for a bit of a learning curve (and any software you have on Windows won't be compatible).
  12. In your face
    Moves
    13 May '14 17:05
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    If there is no bluetooth option in your audio output settings, it's likely the driver for the dongle isn't installed, or is corrupt. First, unplug it and plug it back in. If you see a balloon in your taskbar saying something like, "Found new UPnP device: Bluetooth _____", and then "The drivers for this device have been successfully installed", go bac ...[text shortened]... epared for a bit of a learning curve (and any software you have on Windows won't be compatible).
    Howdy
    It seemed to be a self installing dongle. Wheni first plugged it in, it flashed up balloon messages in the systems tray and then declared that its now installed and ready to use. It was also visible in device manager with no queries next to it. The packagin states that it is suitable for bluetooth head sets and voice data but I have beeninformed by someone that this doesn't necessarily mean that iot will be suitable for streaming audio data. I'm starting to think that this is the problem.

I know the earphones work fine as I can listen to them via my iphone no probs.

As for XP, I did notice the message flash up regarding them stopping support. I never even thought about it from a virus perspective. There seems to be a lot of versions of Windows 7 on Ebay which are a good price but this makes me suspicious. There is that much dodgy crap uot there that I wouldn't know if I was getting the real maccoy or not.

I dd use Ubuntu for about a year and I have eventually come back to windows. I do't know why but I just do. Ubuntu still seems alian afer using it all this time.
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    13 May '14 17:302 edits
    Howdy
    It seemed to be a self installing dongle. Wheni first plugged it in, it flashed up balloon messages in the systems tray and then declared that its now installed and ready to use. It was also visible in device manager with no queries next to it. The packagin states that it is suitable for bluetooth head sets and voice data but I have beeninfor ...[text shortened]... to windows. I do't know why but I just do. Ubuntu still seems alian afer using it all this time.
    Strange that it could be suitable for voice but not audio. After all, voice data is audio data. Without actually seeing your setup I don't think I can help further.

Re Windows 7 on eBay, you are right to be suspicious of the low-priced options, which are almost certainly counterfeit. When I bought Windows 7 I fell for it twice. However, Microsoft have a page on their website (search online for microsoft windows genuine how to tell). This explains what the packaging and discs should look like. It's important not to install these as they are probably preloaded with viruses and malware. Incidentally, at the time I upgraded, Microsoft were supplying genuine copies of Windows free of charge if you provided details of the dodgy seller and sent the counterfeit OS to them. Of course you shouldn't be tempted to deliberately buy counterfeit items which must surely be against the law.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 May '14 17:34
    Surprised Sonhouse hasn't chimed in yet.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    13 May '14 17:37
    Did you try this tutorial? It looks like the most likely cause to me.

http://oreilly.com/pub/a/windows/archive/bluetooth.html?page=1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree