1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 21:44
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The real qualifier sir is if you can pull off a satin cravat.
    No. The story is in the courtyard.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 22:57
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The real qualifier sir is if you can pull off a satin cravat.
    But... but...

Oh, wait, You mean his own satin cravat. 😛
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 10:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But... but...

Oh, wait, You mean his own satin cravat. 😛
    🙂 That was my meaning.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 10:40
    Originally posted by Larkie
    It's always good to see someone who has the cojones to reject an MBE, OBE etc.
    Without those MBEs, OBEs, CBEs [and whatnot] being handed out, there would be no opportunity for people to reject them, and, as you say, it's always good to see someone who has the cojones to do so.
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 14:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Without those MBEs, OBEs, CBEs [and whatnot] being handed out, there would be no opportunity for people to reject them, and, as you say, it's always good to see someone who has the cojones to do so.
    I seem to remember David Cameron ,the then prime minister of the UK giving his hairdresser an honour ( no, not that ).
    I think they ( honours ) should be banned ,all they do is slap the rich and famous on the back .
  6. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 19:53
    Originally posted by apathist
    (not the queen though)

the riches belong to all of us
    The monarchy is the legal owner of the land, and they bring billions of pounds of money in from tourists. More so than they cost.

I invite you to watch this video.
    YouTube
  7. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 19:59
    Just let them have the sense to pass the crown straight to William. We'll never forgive Charles for killing Diana. Now she was a real princess.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 20:29
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Just let them have the sense to pass the crown straight to William. We'll never forgive Charles for killing Diana. Now she was a real princess.
    I suspect sir you have been watching too many conspiracy theories on youtube.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 20:32
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    How about our (Canadian) Conrad Black, who gave up his Canadian citizenship in order to become a Lord. Oh, he's Canadian again because the other Lords found out he was a "scoundrel/robber of funds from his own companies" and they booted him out. But we Canadians, being the polite and forgiving folk we are, allowed him to get his citizenship back.
    GBS,

There are times nice just doesn't work!!! 😉

-VR
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 10:02
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    The monarchy is the legal owner of the land, and they bring billions of pounds of money in from tourists. More so than they cost. ...
    Land ownership implies that might makes right. I figure an enlightened society could move past that primitive concept. Keep the queen though. Kinda like in a museum. She can demonstrate social niceties as befits the landed gentry or whatever.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 02:25
    Too right Phil
    It's always good to see someone who has the cojones to reject an MBE, OBE etc.
    But not your average weaselly politician mind. Kinnock was opposed to the honours system from day one - but more than happy to accept a Life peerage: "I accepted the kind invitation to enter the House of Lords as a working peer for practical political reasons."
    Yeah, right.
    Weasel.
    The second house - although weakened by Thatcher - still has a role in UK
    politics. Without working peers from all parties it wouldn't work. It would have
    been a nonsense for Kinnock to have rejected his peerage.
  12. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 03:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The second house - although weakened by Thatcher - still has a role in UK
    politics. Without working peers from all parties it wouldn't work. It would have
    been a nonsense for Kinnock to have rejected his peerage.
    You are right. It does have an important role.
    My point is that Kinnock was very vocal, throughout his (record) years as leader of the opposition, in opposing the very existence of the House of Lords.
    In 1976 he said: 'The House of Lords must go - not be reformed, not be replaced, not be reborn in some nominated life-after-death patronage paradise, just closed down, abolished, finished.'
    Hypocrisy was my point.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 03:35
    In 1976 he said: 'The House of Lords must go - not be reformed, not be replaced, not be reborn in some nominated life-after-death patronage paradise, just closed down, abolished, finished.'
    Hypocrisy was my point.
    Is every instance of someone changing their mind an example of "hypocrisy" in your view?
  14. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 04:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is every instance of someone changing their mind an example of "hypocrisy" in your view?
    No, of course not.
    But in this instance, given his career-long objection to the existence of the Upper House, I cannot think of a better term to describe his acceptance of a peerage.
    How would you describe it?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 04:34
    You are right. It does have an important role.
    My point is that Kinnock was very vocal, throughout his (record) years as leader of the opposition, in opposing the very existence of the House of Lords.
    Hypocrisy was my point.
    I do not see how belonging to something one objects to is hypocritical.
    The only way the Lords can be abolished is through Parliament of which the Lords is a part.

In the same way that the UK should stay in the EU so that it can reform it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree