Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Can I smoke my corncob pipe?
    You betcha 🙂
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 01:241 edit
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    of course Lincoln felt that 'preservation of the Union was the overriding principle'.
    Vast majority of the wealth of USA came from the Southern states.
    They had a totally different way of life. Thus, in such a vast nation, dividing into 2 separate nations was reasonable.

Slavery was/is a side issue. You 'think' it might have continued into ...[text shortened]... tes chose to do on plantations along with the slaves (though without the negative side effects!)
    You're wrong about Lincoln. He was focused on keeping the country strong and undivided, not on retaining any of the "wealth" in the south. Southern states had slave-based agriculture, northern states had industry and commerce. The south was stagnant, the north had a robust, growing economy. Lincoln knew we were far better together than apart.
  3. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 01:34
    Originally posted by blunderdog
    lol of course someone with under 1100 rating is going to think anyone with a 1700 rating and 11-6 record is using an engine.

What a maroon.
    bugs bunny fan?
  4. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 08:55
    You're wrong about Lincoln. He was focused on keeping the country strong and undivided, not on retaining any of the "wealth" in the south. Southern states had slave-based agriculture, northern states had industry and commerce. The south was stagnant, the north had a robust, growing economy. Lincoln knew we were far better together than apart.
    take what is left of this thread to the debates forum spanky
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 12:50
    Originally posted by redbadger
    take what is left of this thread to the debates forum spanky
    Who died and left you boss?
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 12:54
    Who died and left you boss?
    RUSS said it was ok
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 13:38
    Did he tell you this personally?
  8. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 13:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    God told him about him in a dream
  9. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 15:05
    You're wrong about Lincoln. He was focused on keeping the country strong and undivided, not on retaining any of the "wealth" in the south. Lincoln knew we were far better together than apart.
    A war that cost over half a million lives would seem a curious way of 'keeping the country strong and undivided'!
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 15:10
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    A war that cost over half a million lives would seem a curious way of 'keeping the country strong and undivided'!
    pity Blundertwat wasn't one of your stats
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 16:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think he mentioned it the last time we had lunch together. Do you not agree?
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 16:20
    Originally posted by redbadger
    pity Blundertwat wasn't one of your stats
    I have to take a moment to thank you.
    I've been arguing and fighting with my sister in law for some time. I really don't like her and have no use for her.
    Reading your constant jabs at BD have shown me how I might appear to an outsider.
  13. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 16:23
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I have to take a moment to thank you.
    I've been arguing and fighting with my sister in law for some time. I really don't like her and have no use for her.
    Reading your constant jabs at BD have shown me how I might appear to an outsider.
    no biggies
  14. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 05:15
    Bye Bye Blundedog

How did you now you were getting banned?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 13:431 edit
    I think he mentioned it the last time we had lunch together. Do you not agree?
    No, I do agree.

Our Brit friend is right about one thing. Slavery WAS a "side issue" for the President. One month before signing the Emancipation Proclamation (by executive order, by the way), he said this:

"I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

I think that, unfortunately, Lincoln could never get elected today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree