1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:58
    I have a neighbour, a widow 92 years old, who calls me when she needs some help with something or other. I, being 20+ years her junior and at home most days, am only too happy to help her out. She has three sons, but the closest lives about 10km away and they all work. She is forever apologizing for being such a "pain" and I tell her , "Marion, if I'm able to help I'm more than happy to." Her needs can be anything from needing a drive to an appointment to her not being able to get her TV to work and everything in between. Are any of you in my shoes?
  2. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:26
    My wife helps a 92-yr-old friend frequently, whose children have become more involved since she developed health issues. But, when family pitch in to help, old personal issues arise, squabbles occur, time and money problems become hard to distribute evenly, the professional's opinion (my wife is a nurse) can be ignored, and care can escalate into dominance. If the three sons don't want to help, it may be a blessing.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:39
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I have a neighbour, a widow 92 years old, who calls me when she needs some help with something or other. I, being 20+ years her junior and at home most days, am only too happy to help her out. She has three sons, but the closest lives about 10km away and they all work. She is forever apologizing for being such a "pain" and I tell her , "Marion, if I' ...[text shortened]... her not being able to get her TV to work and everything in between. Are any of you in my shoes?
    Wondering if your neighbour in her dotage plays online correspondence chess and if so is her nickname Great Big Marion? 😉

Great thread, Stees!
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:39
    I have a neighbour, a widow 92 years old, who calls me when she needs some help with something or other. I, being 20+ years her junior and at home most days, am only too happy to help her out. She has three sons, but the closest lives about 10km away and they all work. She is forever apologizing for being such a "pain" and I tell her , "Marion, if I' ...[text shortened]... her not being able to get her TV to work and everything in between. Are any of you in my shoes?
    She should hire one of the neighborhood boys (who's old enough to drive) to be her chauffeur, like in Driving Miss Daisy. Getting her things done, plus eye-candy, sounds like a win-win to me.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:44
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    My wife helps a 92-yr-old friend frequently, whose children have become more involved since she developed health issues. But, when family pitch in to help, old personal issues arise, squabbles occur, time and money problems become hard to distribute evenly, the professional's opinion (my wife is a nurse) can be ignored, and care can escalate into dominance. If the three sons don't want to help, it may be a blessing.
    Oh don't get me wrong, they do when able but she seems to need a lot of "help". She is mentally, for the most part, quite with it and physically she's very good. I sense that it's more the company she enjoys as much as the "help". I hope that when, and if, I reach her age and need the help that there will be someone there for me too. That old saying may apply, "You reap what you sew".
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Wondering if your neighbour in her dotage plays online correspondence chess and if so is her nickname Great Big Marion? 😉

Great thread, Stees!
    Don't think she plays chess GB and she is a very tiny woman so GREAT BIG would certainly be a misnomer. Actually come to think of it I should change mine to Average Stees. 😉
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    She should hire one of the neighborhood boys (who's old enough to drive) to be her chauffeur, like in Driving Miss Daisy. Getting her things done, plus eye-candy, sounds like a win-win to me.
    I am one of the neighbourhood boys the one she calls on. 🙂
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:24
    Don't think she plays chess GB and she is a very tiny woman so GREAT BIG would certainly be a misnomer. Actually come to think of it I should change mine to Average Stees. 😉
    Then your nickname would be Great Average Stees or GAS. lol
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 21:57
    I just hope you're not into romancing grannies.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 22:18
    Oh don't get me wrong, they do when able but she seems to need a lot of "help". She is mentally, for the most part, quite with it and physically she's very good. I sense that it's more the company she enjoys as much as the "help". I hope that when, and if, I reach her age and need the help that there will be someone there for me too. That old saying may apply, "You reap what you sew".
    You are a good person, Stees.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 22:24
    Originally posted by lolof
    You are a good person, Stees.
    If the truth be known, I may have been both at one time or another depending on who you ask. 🙂
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 01:361 edit
    We ARE older people. We have a bachelor neighbor who has needed our help (getting to the hospital, walking his dog, the odd household repair, etc.) over the years. Especially for some months when recovering from an operation. Then my wife went through the same thing he went through and he has helped us. Now it's become my turn to need help for something different.

(He had us over for a game of Clue. The Butler did it with a pick in the end zone. No, wait, that was the Superbowl. Does anybody get that joke?)

We have another neighbor who isn't comfortable driving to the city -- my wife takes her with her to the ballet season.

In our little, well-defined neighborhood, there are several relationships like this. It's nice.
  13. In your face
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 09:21
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I just hope you're not into romancing grannies.
    Granny bangers are en vogue.
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 10:42
    not now because she has now passed but over the past 3 years I did as much as I could for a lady 86 years old fixed the gate, ran her to the docs to have her blood taken she was on warfarin to thin her blood, mow the lawn, take her shopping and her favourite on a sunday take her to the bingo.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 10:42
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Granny bangers are en vogue.
    That's so 5 years ago. Today's rage is grannies with trannies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree