1. Joined
    17 Jun '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 13:26
    Hi
    I'm kind of frustrated with some of the games I've had recently. Seems the opponent takes every scrap of time in the allotment to take their move, but only once it seems they're set to lose the match. Are they hoping to bore their opponent into submission or trap them into a timeout? Having a look at their profiles I notice some of these players are busily playing other games while ignoring mine. Also they have a fair percent of wins by timeout. 
    Whether it's in the parameters of the game or not, it's certainly not an endearing behavior. If you're beaten, it's uncouth to then drag a game out over many months hoping to bore the opponent off the board. It's not pleasant. 
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 14:15
    Originally posted by ribman
    Hi
    I'm kind of frustrated with some of the games I've had recently. Seems the opponent takes every scrap of time in the allotment to take their move, but only once it seems they're set to lose the match. Are they hoping to bore their opponent into submission or trap them into a timeout? Having a look at their profiles I notice some of these players are busil ...[text shortened]... drag a game out over many months hoping to bore the opponent off the board. It's not pleasant. 
    A lessen learned. Scratch them off your list of players to play.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 14:201 edit
    Hi
    I'm kind of frustrated with some of the games I've had recently. Seems the opponent takes every scrap of time in the allotment to take their move, but only once it seems they're set to lose the match. Are they hoping to bore their opponent into submission or trap them into a timeout? Having a look at their profiles I notice some of these players are busil ...[text shortened]... drag a game out over many months hoping to bore the opponent off the board. It's not pleasant. 
    Generally it's only non-subscribers who moan about this as their number of games is limited. Suggest you subscribe and the problem goes away.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 14:40
    Have you considered that when someone is up against it they may actually be spending more time to get out of the fix they are in, rather than deliberately trying to pee on your chips. Moves come easy when you are in a strong position. Lot's of ways to pile it on. If you are in a mire, there may only be one way out if any. Other people may be attempting to preserve or improve thir rating. Just a thought.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 15:51
    Don't take on games with lengthy time controls.
    Realize that players are allowed to use all of their time. You cannot change that.
    Just because someone moves quickly for a while doesn't mean they always will.
    If it bothers you too much, just resign the game and move on.
    As a non-subscriber you can play 6 games at a time. You only have 3 at the moment. Fill up your dance card.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 04:16
    Nevertheless I agree with Mr ribman. If opponents are winning or the game is about level, the moves flow forth like a mountain stream, if (as does occasionally happen) one happens to find oneself in a winning position, the game moves with the speed of a glacier. Not really cricket, is it, as we say in England.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 06:27
    Originally posted by Indonesia Phil
    Nevertheless I agree with Mr ribman. If opponents are winning or the game is about level, the moves flow forth like a mountain stream, if (as does occasionally happen) one happens to find oneself in a winning position, the game moves with the speed of a glacier. Not really cricket, is it, as we say in England.
    The time controls are there for the benefit of both players and once they are agreed to moaning about your opponent exploiting them is also not 'cricket'.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 08:27
    I understand the time controls well enough, my point is about the spirit in which the game is, or should be, played.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 08:42
    Hi
    They're waiting for you to bring your damn rating up, so when they lose their own rating won't be as heavily impacted.
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 09:35
    I have read and appreciate your various replies. It is interesting to reflect that sometimes a stranger's liberal scorn may contain wisdoms and truths that a friend will refrain from.
    Thanks.
    The "glacier" comment was the most aligned to my existing viewpoint. The other comments aren't entirely "news" but help me to refocus how the community views the scenario.
    Much appreciated.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 11:57
    I have read and appreciate your various replies. It is interesting to reflect that sometimes a stranger's liberal scorn may contain wisdoms and truths that a friend will refrain from.
    Thanks.
    The "glacier" comment was the most aligned to my existing viewpoint. The other comments aren't entirely "news" but help me to refocus how the community views the scenario.
    Much appreciated.
    Yet another of our functions here besides opponents.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 13:19
    What does Divegeester even know about chess? He should not be offering any opinions on this Site on questions of etiquette. It's like if I called my financial adviser for advice just to have her pass the phone over to her toddler.
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 14:091 edit
    Hm.
    Wins by timeout 41 (20.40% )
    Losses by timeout 7 (3.52% )

I'll be looking out for stats like this in future before I accept the game.
  14. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 16:31
    So what is the issue here?
    I have a question for those who are complaining about "chain draggers".

Do you expect every chess player to have exactly the same standard of ethical play and sportsmanship as you have?
    Do you want to somehow punish a player who changes the amount of time they use before making their next move?

People are different. We do not all behave in the same way.
    We all like to win a game and we dislike losing. That is our nature.
    Some of us can be courteous and well-mannered in winning or losing a game.
    Some of us become boisterous, obnoxious and arrogant when we are winning.
    Some of us become pig-headed and uncooperative when we are losing.
    Some of us throw little tantrums when things do not go our way.
    There is no age limit on good or poor behavior. It is what it is.
    We humans do not always play well with others. That will not change any time soon.

These traits apply in most situations, including a game of chess or any other competitive activity.
    I suspect that your purpose is to blow off some steam and you are not seriously looking for any changes in rules here.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 18:23
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    So what is the issue here?
    I have a question for those who are complaining about "chain draggers".

Do you expect every chess player to have exactly the same standard of ethical play and sportsmanship as you have?
    Do you want to somehow punish a player who changes the amount of time they use before making their next move?

People are different. We do ...[text shortened]... rpose is to blow off some steam and you are not seriously looking for any changes in rules here.
    How dull life would be if we were all the same.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree