How do you prefer to win?
    I ask robbie for advice.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 16:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Flipping the board at your opponent as all the pieces come crashing down on their head.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 16:14
    I prefer checkmate, but take the resignation, especially befor a tedious endgame (which I am prepared to play)
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 16:27
    By making the next-to-last mistake.
  6. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 17:41
    Bury my opponent.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 17:46
    Either. Resignation by an opponent is an honorable thing to do in a gentleman's game.

I once had an opponent on this site in a game at 21 days per move.
    I announced to him mate in 7 moves.

His response ?
    Mate in 4 months !! πŸ˜€

And he made me play it out.
    Luckily it wasn't a clan game !!
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:012 edits
    How I prefer to win: whatever works. How I prefer my opponent to lose: ignominious grovelling.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:11
    The question is a little bit narrow because there are other factors. One can win a game not because of ones good play but because of ones opponents poor play, these are never quite satisfactory. Its also the same when one plays a game that one should have lost but ends up winning it by sheer luck. Sometimes losing is even preferable to winning if the game is exciting enough, or instructive in some way. The worst is when the game is so unevenly matched and one side mows the other down effortlessly, this is not what chess is about, yes chess is the epic struggle of logic to culminate in a result, but its how that result is achieved that holds the fascination. Sometimes players will let their opponent play out a mate even though they know the outcome because it is a thing of beauty.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:11
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I ask robbie for advice.
    good call Handriod Andriod
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:14
    A 'surprise' checkmate gives me goose bumps. (If i'm the one delivering it).
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:171 edit
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Bury my opponent.
    lol lay him down under the pale moon light πŸ˜€

Handy Andy is in this video YouTube
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The question is a little bit narrow because there are other factors. One can win a game not because of ones good play but because of ones opponents poor play, these are never quite satisfactory. Its also the same when one plays a game that one should have lost but ends up winning it by sheer luck. Sometimes losing is even preferable to winning if th ...[text shortened]... heir opponent play out a mate even though they know the outcome because it is a thing of beauty.
    Nevermind the intellectual self-flagellation Robbie, what is more satisfying to you, a checkmate or a resignation? It's a simple question.
  14. Joined
    21 Oct '15
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:41
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    Either. Resignation by an opponent is an honorable thing to do in a gentleman's game.

I once had an opponent on this site in a game at 21 days per move.
    I announced to him mate in 7 moves.

His response ?
    Mate in 4 months !! πŸ˜€

And he made me play it out.
    Luckily it wasn't a clan game !!
    I'd let my opponent finish me if there's a checkmate combination (however, I won't make it a 4 month wait). I expect that if you're expecting a forced checkmate then play it through. If it's not forced and you can see it playing on for another 10+ moves then I resign. I've had it where people resign with checkmate next move which I find a little annoying. I've resigned previously when I thought someone was taking the piss, it was a forced mate in 2/3 moves and he didn't play it. Resigned and messaged player asking why he didn't checkmate me. It seems like it was genuine mistake rather than just messing about.

If I am losing considerably (i.e. pieces down and no position for compensation) then I resign if I feel I can't get compensation.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 18:44
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I prefer checkmate, but take the resignation, especially befor a tedious endgame (which I am prepared to play)
    After 8 years of playing chess I have come to realise that I prefer it when my opponent resigns.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree