1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:081 edit
    I found a nice little family operated chinese resturant with excellent chinese food. Best I've tasted, & I been around to different chinese restuants.

Anyways, I'm in there this afternoon & I look around and I'm the only one eating with a fork. Everyone else there is Chinese and eating with those Chopsticks.

I must learn how to eat with those in the New Year!!!
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:13
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I found a nice little family operated chinese resturant with excellent chinese food. Best I've tasted, & I been around to different chinese restuants.

Anyways, I'm in there this afternoon & I look around and I'm the only one eating with a fork. Everyone else there is Chinese and eating with those Chop-sticks.

Well, that strikes me as a very good sign.

The only people who regularly use chopsticks are asians, and if they're eating there, it must be good.

Don't see a lot of asians at Panda Express. Just sayin'.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:131 edit
    Many restaurant employees are willing to help by making a hinged pair with a rubber band and a cardboard fulcrum. Ask them about this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=chopsticks+hinged+rubber+band&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWc&bpcl=40096503&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FdHUUP3SM4jqqAHjrYHIBg
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Many restaurant employees are willing to help by making a hinged pair with a rubber band and a cardboard fulcrum. Ask them about this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=chopsticks+hinged+rubber+band&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWc&bpcl=40096503&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FdHUUP3SM4jqqAHjrYHIBg
    I used a pair once,

oh no wait it was tweezers.

Just saw an ad on the TV for free range turkey and the guy said

A happy turkey is a tastier turkey lol.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:00

Anyways, I'm in there this afternoon & I look around and I'm the only one eating with a fork. Everyone else there is Chinese and eating with those Chopsticks.

I'm a bit surprised by this. In Australia we have several Chinese restaurants in every suburb and town, and at least 90% of the customers, Asian or Caucasian or anything else, use chopsticks. They're also supplied with every takeaway container. I'm 68 and have been using chopsticks for about 30 years, but my 94-year-old mother-in-law still uses a fork (when she eats that foreign muck, which isn't often).

The best thing about chopsticks is that you can't gobble your food. Great for dieters.
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:08

Vowing to master a new, trendy way to shovel food in your mouth at the local all you can eat.

Now that is a New Year's resolution to be proud of!

God bless you and God bless the United States of America!
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:10
    I just do not get the chopstick thing, a fork is simply a more efficient tool for the job.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:12
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Vowing to master a new, trendy way to shovel food in your mouth at the local all you can eat.

Now that is a New Year's resolution to be proud of!

God bless you and God bless the United States of America!
    Actually it is a very OLD way of eating, which I believe could be fun trying to learn.

God bless you and God bless Canada for being your neighbour! 😉

One should always be proud of learning how to do new things! 🙂
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:132 edits
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I just do not get the chopstick thing, a fork is simply a more efficient tool for the job.
    It's less efficient but, there is something to be said for making yourself eat slowly. I think I should take up chopsticks myself... seriously.

Oh! And sorry.. God bless Canada!
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:17
    It's less efficient but, there is something to be said for making yourself eat slowly. I think I should take up chopsticks myself... seriously.
    The folks I saw didn't have a problem at all eating with the chopsticks. Of course they probably have been doing so since childhood.

It all depends how efficient you are at eating with them. I don't believe I could keep up with my fork to be honest with you.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:382 edits
    Most chopstick eaters can't do the same speed as a fork (which is basically a shovel), but eating with chopsticks makes you look at your food and also take smaller portions. Eating more slowly in smaller mouthfuls means you chew your food better and it's easier on your digestion. In a restaurant you're usually chatting over the food, not just shovelling in sustenance so that you can rush off to do something else. Eating at home I'd be using chopsticks if the occasion was social, but a fork if I was on my own.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 03:441 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Most chopstick eaters can't do the same speed as a fork (which is basically a shovel), but eating with chopsticks makes you look at your food and also take smaller portions. Eating more slowly in smaller mouthfuls means you chew your food better and it's easier on your digestion. In a restaurant you're usually chatting over the food, not just shovelling in ...[text shortened]... g at home I'd be using chopsticks if the occasion was social, but a fork if I was on my own.
    Perhaps you've never saw people who could actually use chopsticks! ( I was impressed, & it takes a lot to impress me! )

A spoon would be more like a shovel, not a fork which has holes in it. 😉
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 05:28

Oh! And sorry.. God bless Canada!
    Use a smaller fork, or, here's an idea, eat slower. I have anecdotal evidence in favour of the, chewing your food a lot before swallowing diet.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 14:59
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Use a smaller fork, or, here's an idea, eat slower. I have anecdotal evidence in favour of the, chewing your food a lot before swallowing diet.
    You might have heard that chewing your food 32 times will help you lose weight. While no clinical trials have been conducted to prove or disprove this, the premise can be evaluated along the lines of benefits and drawbacks. A healthy weight loss plan incorporates calorie reduction and increased physical activity.
    Benefits

If you thoroughly chew your food, you will slow down your eating and, possibly, eat less total food. Also, the signal that you are full takes around 20 minutes to register and, if you are eating slowly, you will realize you are full before you consume more food than your body needs. Another benefit to chewing 32 times is that you get more enjoyment from the food, which can, in theory, help you eat less.
    Sponsored Links
    5 Foods That Burn Belly Fat The Ultimate Healthy Living Toolbar Get Daily Fitness Tips & More. Free www.dailyfitnesscenter.com
    Drawbacks

Trying to count to 32 every time you take a bite of food is monotonous and turns eating into a chore. For some people, it can also create or exacerbate an unhealthy obsession that leads to an eating disorder. It can significantly interfere with human interaction during mealtime. Each type of food is different; some foods need to be chewed 32 times while others do not, and this principle fails to take that into account.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/408646-is-it-true-that-chewing-your-food-32-times-helps-you-lose-weight/#ixzz2FnE7GC2H
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 15:35

Now there are "Chinese" Restaurants and there are Chinese Restaurants, which are talking about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree