1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 23:18
    I live in a country where English is the only language widely spoken, but we're part of the global village and recognise that there are significant differences. Since the purpose of language is the transfer of concepts and information, I make a conscious effort when forum-posting to translate where I think it may be necessary.

I write my dates as June 4 (or 4 June) to avoid confusing Americans with my 4/6.
    If I'm doing a distance measurement, it will be in km, but with the mile equivalent in brackets to follow.
    If it's currency, I don't fuss too much, because the USD and AUD aren't all that different.
    If it's temperature, I do Celsius, with Fahrenheit in brackets to follow.

I have noticed that others generally don't follow my example.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 23:48
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I live in a country where English is the only language widely spoken, but we're part of the global village and recognise that there are significant differences. Since the purpose of language is the transfer of concepts and information, I make a conscious effort when forum-posting to translate where I think it may be necessary.

I write my dates as June 4 ( ...[text shortened]... hrenheit in brackets to follow.

You can't please everyone. For example, someone may get snippy because you left out English pounds. "This is an English site!" they may protest. But it would be too hard to read posts if they had everything translated into every possible unit.

If people want stuff in their homeland units, Google can do the conversion quickly. There's no need to load down posts with all of that.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 23:58

I write my dates as June 4 ( ...[text shortened]... hrenheit in brackets to follow.

I did notice you go the extra mile [1.60934 km]
  4. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 00:07
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You can't please everyone. For example, someone may get snippy because you left out English pounds. "This is an English site!" they may protest. But it would be too hard to read posts if they had everything translated into every possible unit.

If people want stuff in their homeland units, Google can do the conversion quickly. There's no need to load down posts with all of that.
    Why don't we create an ACA standard for forum posting.

I propose for linear we use the city block or cb where 16cb=1m=1.6km
    For temperature the fahrensius which is fahrenheit temperature plus celsius.
    And last that we work the kiloquad in somewhere just because 2^100 somethings is loads of fun. Maybe the date. I'd just love saying today is 5.8032158062131122959211106040746e-25.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 00:20
    Originally posted by JerryH

And last that we work the kiloquad in somewhere just because 2^100 somethings is loads of fun. Maybe the date. I'd just love saying today is 5.8032158062131122959211106040746e-25.
    Seek help. Please. 😞
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 02:11

Some of us are smart enough to figure it out for ourselves.
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 02:12
    QP is one of the class acts of RHP.

Temperature conversion is important. I was in Madrid and asked the hotel staff what the temperature was outside. They said 31 degrees. As a Texan USA'er I put on my heavy winter coat. Walked two blocks before I passed out from the heat.

Oh yes, don't forget the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation' across the Atlantic.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 03:045 edits

Jerry, in the interest of civility, things could be simplified even further: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow along with Last Year and This Year and Next Year. For example: Sunday, February 15, 2015 would be Tod/Ty; Monday, February 16, 2015 would be Tom/Ty. A pub advertisement: "Free Beer Tomorrow" would read: "Free Beer Tom". A guy named Tom walks into a bar. "Hey, bartender, I hear you're serving free beer today." Bartender smiles and says: "Tom, that will be $3.00".

Tom says: "$3.00? I thought it was free today." Bartender says, "Tom". Tom says, "How do you know my name? Do we have a mutual friend?" Bartender replies, "Jerry." Tom says "When did Jerry stop in?" Bartender says, "Yes."
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 03:07
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    QP is one of the class acts of RHP.

Temperature conversion is important. I was in Madrid and asked the hotel staff what the temperature was outside. They said 31 degrees. As a Texan USA'er I put on my heavy winter coat. Walked two blocks before I passed out from the heat.

Oh yes, don't forget the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation' across the Atlantic.
    We don't do vacations at all, we take holidays and go on holiday. Not to be confused with public holidays which are only holidays for office workers these days ...
  10. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 04:24
    For me, language is about relationships...I hope that I consider with whom I am speaking (or writing to). If I know that metric equivalents are best known by the person with whom I wish to convey meaning, then I do my best to use them quickly and without affectation. If there is something I do not know, I try to be as real as I can be, and prepared to do what I can to make myself understood.

In language and relationships, willingness to come as close as one can to understanding is important even if form is not perfect. Humbly and transparently asking questions is a wonderful tool as a means toward cultural competence.
  11. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 04:471 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Jerry, in the interest of civility, things could be simplified even further: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow along with Last Year and This Year and Next Year. For example: Sunday, February 15, 2015 would be Tod/Ty; Monday, February 16, 2015 would be Tom/Ty. A pub advertisement: "Free Beer Tomorrow" would read: "Free Beer Tom". A guy named Tom walks into a ...[text shortened]... l friend?" Bartender replies, "Jerry." Tom says "When did Jerry stop in?" Bartender says, "Yes."
    When Tod gets too close to Tom, for some reason I become uncomfortable.

Edit: Changed to into too
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 05:41
    When Tod gets too close to Tom, for some reason I become uncomfortable.

Edit: Changed to into too
    Serves you right for gibberishing the thread.
  13. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 06:57
    Serves you right for gibberishing the thread.
    I wouldn't like that very much either Kewpie, sorry about that.

[quote=Originally posted by BigDoggProblem]
    If people want stuff in their homeland units, Google can do the conversion quickly. There's no need to load down posts with all of that.[/quote]

I agree and I like local units of measure and other references to add color. I think the world is becoming to standardized. If you measure in something other than english or metric hang on to it for dear life. I know cost, but that just leads to fast food.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 09:46
    I wouldn't like that very much either Kewpie, sorry about that.

[quote=Originally posted by BigDoggProblem]
    [b]If people want stuff in their homeland units, Google can do the conversion quickly. There's no need to load down posts with all of that.
    [/quote]

I agree and I like local units of measure and other references to add color. I think th ...[text shortened]... an english or metric hang on to it for dear life. I know cost, but that just leads to fast food.[/b]
    "I think the world is becoming to standardized." -JerryH

I share your view. Since Noah the globe has been divided into geographic boundaries and national entities, which provides for a balance of power rather than in the hands of a few. Standardizing units of measure would become a precursor of an international world government which would eliminate the national protection of individual rights under the rule of law.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 10:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I think the world is becoming to standardized." -JerryH

Standardizing units of measure would become a precursor of an international world government which would eliminate the national protection of individual rights under the rule of law.
    That's a daft idea. Australia picked up metric currency in 1966 as a small revolt against British control of our own institutions. We chose the metric measurements in the 1970s because so many of our trading partners use metric systems, and as a small underpopulated country we have a lot of interaction with other countries. If anything, it's asserting our independent choice, not kowtowing to some "international world government".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree