General Forum

General Forum

1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 14:23
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    That's a daft idea. Australia picked up metric currency in 1966 as a small revolt against British control of our own institutions. We chose the metric measurements in the 1970s because so many of our trading partners use metric systems, and as a small underpopulated country we have a lot of interaction with other countries. If anything, it's asserting our independent choice, not kowtowing to some "international world government".
    As always, Kewpie, I respect your opinions whether they agree with or differ from my own. Australia and its issues have always been important to me ever since a close friend from Ascot Brisbane died unexpectedly in his mid thirties. -Bob
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 15:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    As always, Kewpie, I respect your opinions whether they agree with or differ from my own. Australia and its issues have always been important to me ever since a close friend from Ascot Brisbane died unexpectedly in his mid thirties. -Bob
    Would you care even more if two friends had died unexpectedly?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 16:11
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Would you care even more if two friends had died unexpectedly?
    Ask Tom.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 16:38
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Standardizing units of measure would become a precursor of an international world government which would eliminate the national protection of individual rights under the rule of law.
    And what's worse, they're French!!! The horror, le horreur...
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 16:53
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    And what's worse, they're French!!! The horror, le horreur...
    SB, country of origin or ancestry are hardly the issues. Without global standardization of units of measure, currency, banking, online access, personal identity cards [or chips] "an international world government which would eliminate the national protection of individual rights under the rule of law" by autonomous sovereign nations would be impossible.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 22:58
    We already have Big Brother, in the developed world at least, and mostly we've learned to live with it. In fact it can be convenient; terrorism and cybercrime have provided a constant need for personal identification and you can't always go somewhere to present a passport with biometric data. The new smart-app stuff is doing its best to make that obsolete, but that means data has to be stored where everybody can get at it.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 00:52
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    We already have Big Brother, in the developed world at least, and mostly we've learned to live with it. In fact it can be convenient; terrorism and cybercrime have provided a constant need for personal identification and you can't always go somewhere to present a passport with biometric data. The new smart-app stuff is doing its best to make that obsolete, but that means data has to be stored where everybody can get at it.
    “Wisdom is known by her children.” -Matthew 11:19