General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    48740
    26 Aug '15 11:04
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Can anybody play in this sandpit?
    Watch out for sand-flys!
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30152
    29 Aug '15 08:53
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Watch out for sand-flys!
    Arthropod phylum, in particular ~ out of all animals, and in fact all living organisms ~ can prompt humans to squirm and flinch a lot.
  3. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    17676
    29 Aug '15 23:15
    Originally post*d by FMF
    Talk about anything. But just don't apply or put to work our Roman script's 5th graphic symbol.

    (Our OP subj*ct's 'rubric' and this first post comply).
    I don't know what to do. You can post things, but you can't post just anything - is that right?
    What do you omit - just drop the "popular" glyph?
    Can you actually do that - for a full paragraph? No way!

    Although - I know of a book: "A Void" by Mr Adair - the original author is from Paris I think. It was put into words of this, our own lingo by a bit of crafty work from Mr Adair (a translator). Truly a fascinating linguistic stunt.
    You should look it up.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    48740
    29 Aug '15 23:42
    Originally posted by orangutan
    I don't know what to do. You can post things, but you can't post just anything - is that right?
    What do you omit - just drop the "popular" glyph?
    Can you actually do that - for a full paragraph? No way!

    Although - I know of a book: "A Void" by Mr Adair - the original author is from Paris I think. It was put into words of this, our own lingo by a bit o ...[text shortened]... ork from Mr Adair (a translator). Truly a fascinating linguistic stunt.
    You should look it up.
    Bravo!
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30152
    29 Aug '15 23:57
    Originally posted by orangutan
    I don't know what to do. You can post things, but you can't post just anything - is that right?
    What do you omit - just drop the "popular" glyph?
    Can you actually do that - for a full paragraph? No way!

    Although - I know of a book: "A Void" by Mr Adair - the original author is from Paris I think. It was put into words of this, our own lingo by a bit o ...[text shortened]... ork from Mr Adair (a translator). Truly a fascinating linguistic stunt.
    You should look it up.
    Now this is just showing off, that's all!

    But wait!

    Oh no!

    Say it ain't so.

    Alas... which "popular glyph"? Which "original author" from Paris?
  6. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    17676
    30 Aug '15 00:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    Now this is just showing off, that's all!

    But wait!

    Oh no!

    Say it ain't so.

    Alas... which "popular glyph"? Which "original author" from Paris?
    Showing off - moi?
    No.

    Sorry - I can't say who the original author was. The book is around I think, but I can't find it. My bad.
    The glyph? Wasn't it midway of 'D' and 'F' - your ruling, you should know?
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30152
    30 Aug '15 01:251 edit
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Sorry - I can't say who the original author was.
    That's right, you CAN'T say that! But it's not so much a situation in which you can't say it; it's this ~ you shouldn't say it! You oughtn't to say it! You mustn't say it!
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    1038882
    30 Aug '15 02:46
    this simply cannot be done - you can try - but you cannot do it*

    * civil disobedience is essential when injustice threatens the safety and stailbity of everyone

    ~too much?
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30152
    30 Aug '15 08:48
    Originally posted by coquette
    this simply cannot be done - you can try - but you cannot do it*

    * civil disobedience is essential when injustice threatens the safety and stailbity of everyone

    ~too much?
    I am uttrly spchlss.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    48740
    30 Aug '15 10:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am uttrly spchlss.
    sh is a rbl
  11. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    17676
    30 Aug '15 23:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    That's right, you CAN'T say that! But it's not so much a situation in which you [b]can't say it; it's this ~ you shouldn't say it! You oughtn't to say it! You mustn't say it![/b]
    oops.
    Not validating my own posts .. tsk tsk.

    Still, what brought you to start this?
    Tight linguistic constraints such as this can start you thinking hard about words and how to construct groups of words into satisfactory and valid forms - trying not to drop anything, but still dropping that most common thing.
    I'm a fan.
  12. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    1038882
    30 Aug '15 23:43
    Originally posted by orangutan
    oops.
    Not validating my own posts .. tsk tsk.

    Still, what brought you to start this?
    Tight linguistic constraints such as this can start you thinking hard about words and how to construct groups of words into satisfactory and valid forms - trying not to drop anything, but still dropping that most common thing.
    I'm a fan.
    Rock Star! *****
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30152
    30 Aug '15 23:50
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Still, what brought you to start this?
    What brought this about was that famous and unusual book "Gadsby" which did this difficult thing throughout.
  14. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    17676
    31 Aug '15 00:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    What brought this about was that famous and unusual book "Gadsby" which did this difficult thing throughout.
    That is most unusual.
    I had in mind a contrasting book ("A Void" as said a bit ago).

    Was that (your Gadsby) a first do you think?
    How many also did try to drop things for a full books-worth?

    Funny how things work out isn't it?
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30152
    31 Aug '15 01:23
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Funny how things work out isn't it?
    Not only is it "funny", it's also triluminar ~ although this is an abstract utilization of this archaic word, obviously.

    Why triluminar, you ask?

    It is a brightly burning inspiration, it pays back our light but shining aspiration, and it fashions skillful and illuminating invention.

    3 words with 'tails'... tion, tion, tion... or 'shun, shun, shun' ...words that sound similar to a corruption (of its actual sound) of this word: S ... H ... I ... N ... tailed with our taboo Roman script's fifth huruf as Malays say - that is to say 'a bright quality or shooting off rays of light'.

    A light ~ two lights ~ an additional light (making 3): thus it is triluminar.
Back to Top