1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 12:38
    @moonbus said
    Oh, well, in that case ....

Why do the British insist on pronouncing 'schedule' SHedule, without the 'c', but they pronounce 'school', 'scholar', and 'schooner' with the 'c'? Go figure.
    Soft and hard vowels. Come on, that's easy. Same reason the Italians do it.

Now explain why, in German, "st" and "sp" get an extra "j" inserted, but "sn" and "sl" do not... and why, in the latter case, you spell "j" as "ch", but in any other context, you pronounce "ch" more-or-less correctly!?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 12:39
    @yo-its-me said
    I suspect either early Americas couldn't be bothered to spell things the English way, or they purposefully tried to break away from the English and make something that separated them.
    This. This is the very reason. It's all Webster's fault, and it's all just sour colonial grapes.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 12:42
    @moonbus said
    Please pronounce the word "ghoti."
    I'll give you all a hint: it's pronounced 'fish.'
    Cute, but as thousands of people have pointed out already, in spelling, context is everything, and the joke is growing stale, Munberti.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 12:43
    @shallow-blue said
    This. This is the very reason. It's all Webster's fault, and it's all just sour colonial grapes.
    Tea, shmee, let them drink bourbon.👍
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 12:44
    @indonesia-phil said
    He had eaten steak for breakfast....Phonetically he had eeten stake for brekfast, there's three versions of 'ea' before you've even really woken up.
    Phonetically, he had [ i:t@n ste:k ]. No sane language pronounces ee as [ i: ] or a as [ e: ]. No sane language.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree