1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 21:48
    they aren't your friend

We are in a world where you can go learn. Why aren't you doing this.
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 09:15
    Originally posted by @apathist
    they aren't your friend

plea the 5th
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 10:51
    they aren't your friend

I've heard that cops and four missed meals are the only things which part civilization from jungle anarchy.

Be careful what you wish for.
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Jul '18 12:18
    they aren't your friend

Why would a policeperson not be my friend I have two Close friends who are plicemen.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Jul '18 19:281 edit
    they aren't your friend

depends on what country you live in. most western worlds rely heavily on their police to enable every day people to go about their lives in relative safety and do an excellent job with the odd incompetent officer being the exception of course.

Most western police forces are made up of people from your community. You apply to get in and and if you make it in (most don't) then you try to improve your community.

However, most non-police officers see police as an US vs THEM concept and don't think of police as just regular people doing a job even though they really are just regular people who happen to wear a hat and drive a car with shiny lights on the top.

Worse still, many many people have a default problem with authority and jump immediately on any negative story to "prove" that the cops are out to get everyone, or just one segment of the community when in reality, if you looked at the day to day work that the police do 99% of the time they are treating everyone fairly with a large degree of discretion that you won't find in most eastern countries.

People's perspectives in the west are highly skewed to only focus on the rare, negative incidents that usually happen from either sheer incompetence from the officer or from a lack of training.

it's sad, but increasingly we are seeing a lack of respect for our institutions and those who we rely on to maintain civility and order. Yet, ironic of course, when those same people find themselves in trouble, the first people they look for help are our first responders.... 😞

Think the Boston marathon bombing, the trade centre, the oklahoma building, the english subway and bus bombings, plane crashes, tornados, flooding, fires....all first responders that the public are happy as hell to yell at and criticize when something goes awry, yet take for granted when the sh|t hits the fan!
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    09 Jul '18 22:431 edit
    Originally posted by @uzless
    depends on what country you live in. most western worlds rely heavily on their police to enable every day people to go about their lives in relative safety and do an excellent job with the odd incompetent officer being the exception of course.

Most western police forces are made up of people from your community. You apply to get in and and if you make i ...[text shortened]... ell at and criticize when something goes awry, yet take for granted when the sh|t hits the fan!
    Great sentiments uzless. I've known many cops in my life. They have a thankless job and are grossly underpaid to do it.

It's unfortunate that the exceptions are the rule when it comes to making headlines.

I know that bad cops exist. Those well-publicized cases where they've literally, gotten away with murder, are reprehensible indeed.

But, the coin can flip to two sides can't it?

It's true that a few citizens go around, acting disrespectfully toward authority, deliberately trying to provoke; then kick and scream at the first nuanced insult...and act innocently as they get their asses legitimately jacked-up.
  7. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 03:46
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    I've heard that cops and four missed meals are the only things which part civilization from jungle anarchy.

Be careful what you wish for.
    AR 15
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 04:19
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    plea the 5th
    Would you not rather get back to your life? Plea out, even though you are innocent. They count on this, pretty much literally. You got caught in a system where you are barely a checkmark.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 04:51
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Why would a policeperson not be my friend I have two Close friends who are plicemen.
    Street cops are workaday. I am not afraid to trust them. But the task force cops are a legal gang of thugs, protected by that blue line. I hope you never have to find out for yourself.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 04:52
    If you are not black, your odds just increased.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 05:17
    Is there anyone here who thinks cops are pristine? I know they lie on their written reports, they lie to the judge, they routinely swear an oath and then lie on the stand. This is normal in their world.

Sometimes I guess they bring down a king-pin or something. Usually though they are just hurting normal people and forever! Not a joke.
  12. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 18:51
    Is there anyone here who thinks cops are pristine? I know they lie on their written reports, they lie to the judge, they routinely swear an oath and then lie on the stand. This is normal in their world.

Sometimes I guess they bring down a king-pin or something. Usually though they are just hurting normal people and forever! Not a joke.
    It's also normal in their world that people like you need them to take a bullet for you, and then read all your complaints about them.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 21:04
    Originally posted by @uzless
    ...all first responders that the public are happy as hell to yell at and criticize when something goes awry, yet take for granted when the sh|t hits the fan!
    I think the overwhelming majority of citizens are glad for our first responders and are naturally cooperative with them.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 21:57
    I think the overwhelming majority of citizens are glad for our first responders and are naturally cooperative with them.
    So the issue of abusive cops is still right here on the table.
  15. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 22:05
    I'm sure cops are proportionally just as racist, bigoted, and abusive as the rest of us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree