1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jun '16 19:18
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And you are aware, of course, that ISS is reportedly IN earth's atmosphere?
    Are you aware that at that altitude there is almost no friction due to that air, only needed a thrust up every few weeks? It is negligible. So is that part of obfuscation part deux?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Jun '16 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are you aware that at that altitude there is almost no friction due to that air, only needed a thrust up every few weeks? It is negligible. So is that part of obfuscation part deux?
    I'm sorry: does that mean it is in the earth's atmosphere or not?
    And when you say "air," how much air are we talking there?
    And it's speed--- which allows it to circle the globe 16 times a day--- just a little thrust, huh?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 00:33
    I'm sorry: does that mean it is in the earth's atmosphere or not?
    And when you say "air," how much air are we talking there?
    And it's speed--- which allows it to circle the globe 16 times a day--- just a little thrust, huh?
    Just exactly what hole did you crawl out of? Did you finish off your education in 8th grade or what?

Do you even know what altitude ISS flies at? like 230 odd miles up. Do you even understand just how big ISS is? Why it took literally dozens of flights by the space shuttle to put it together?

Do you seriously think they would fly it so low there would be a problem with atmospheric friction?

It turns out there is a small amount of atmospheric drag on ISS but so small it only needs a thrust correction maybe once a month or less. Atmospheric friction would eventually slow it down enough so it would crash but the rockets onboard ISS speeds it up a bit, enough to overcome what little friction there is at that altitude but only needs to turn on the rockets every now and then.

Do you even know how fast it has to go to maintain it's present altitude?

Are you some kind of Rip Van Winkle who slept through the entire 20th century?

The 'just a little thrust' part is over and above what the space shuttle gave the original parts when they put the main sections together, they had to match the velocities exactly so they didn't just crash into the sections being built.

So ISS starts out with it's orbital velocity of around 18,000 miles per hour or about 5 miles per second. That is free afterwards, if there was no atmosphere it would stay at that altitude for a billion years. The little bit of atmosphere at that altitude will still slow it down but very slowly, over a period of months and it has small rockets that will give it the extra velocity it loses to atmospheric friction which is very small but there.

I don't know why I have to even go into this. You ever hear of Google? Oh yeah, I forgot, NASA lies about everything, ISS is fake and so I am lying also when I saw it with my own small telescope go overhead. As well as dozens of other amateur astronomers with scopes much better than I could ever afford giving really nice images, one that showed the space shuttle close to it.

I guess all those amateur astronomers were bought off too, eh.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 00:55
    Just exactly what hole did you crawl out of? Did you finish off your education in 8th grade or what?

Do you even know what altitude ISS flies at? like 230 odd miles up. Do you even understand just how big ISS is? Why it took literally dozens of flights by the space shuttle to put it together?

Do you seriously think they would fly it so low there woul ...[text shortened]... he space shuttle close to it.

I guess all those amateur astronomers were bought off too, eh.
    Excellent dissertation.
    Is the ISS in earth's atmosphere or not?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 01:23
    Excellent dissertation.
    Is the ISS in earth's atmosphere or not?
    Do you have difficulty reading English? Did you miss the part where I said yes, ISS is in Earth's atmosphere? Why don't you take a wild guess as to how much air is actually up there at 240 miles up. Hint: It isn't very much, which is why ISS can stay up there for as long as it does before it fires it's own thrusters to make up for the small losses what air there is up there causes in friction, which again, is very very small.

Did you sleep through the entire 20th century or what?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 03:12
    Do you have difficulty reading English? Did you miss the part where I said yes, ISS is in Earth's atmosphere? Why don't you take a wild guess as to how much air is actually up there at 240 miles up. Hint: It isn't very much, which is why ISS can stay up there for as long as it does before it fires it's own thrusters to make up for the small losses what air ...[text shortened]... tion, which again, is very very small.

Did you sleep through the entire 20th century or what?
    Just trying to keep you on track, old boy.
    You know how you like to, um, wander.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 03:231 edit
    Just trying to keep you on track, old boy.
    You know how you like to, um, wander.
    Oh yeah, wander, asking fool questions about how a flat Earth is impossible, where you are obsessing on two aspects of it when there are dozens of reasons why it would never work.

You are the one asked me about ISS being in the atmosphere or are you too drunk to remember?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 09:40
    Oh yeah, wander, asking fool questions about how a flat Earth is impossible, where you are obsessing on two aspects of it when there are dozens of reasons why it would never work.

You are the one asked me about ISS being in the atmosphere or are you too drunk to remember?
    As you (or a reasonable person) can tell from the posts up to this point, one of us is able to keep on track while the other person has a tendency to go off on tangents without direct relation to the specific topic.
    If that's because of alcohol, I suggest you stop imbibing.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 13:19
    As you (or a reasonable person) can tell from the posts up to this point, one of us is able to keep on track while the other person has a tendency to go off on tangents without direct relation to the specific topic.
    If that's because of alcohol, I suggest you stop imbibing.
    Not interested in continuing, since your POV is you are ALWAYS right and we are ALWAYS wrong no matter what counter we present. You just say I am going off on tangents when in fact it is you refusing to even argue any other points but the two you keep obsessing over.

We are never going to give you the answer you want so this discussion is over. Crawl back under your rock and live in your limited mythological universe.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 17:49
    Not interested in continuing, since your POV is you are ALWAYS right and we are ALWAYS wrong no matter what counter we present. You just say I am going off on tangents when in fact it is you refusing to even argue any other points but the two you keep obsessing over.

We are never going to give you the answer you want so this discussion is over. Crawl back under your rock and live in your limited mythological universe.
    What a tic...
    In the other thread--- which you continue to stray from the two questions asked--- I specifically and repeatedly emphasized how my focus in the thread would be restricted to the two questions.
    Nonetheless you continued to go off track and instead of keeping the conversation on topic, found new and novel ways to introduce a sundry list of other objections.
    It is almost as if you think by having a wall of text in objection the sheer number of such will satisfy the argument.
    Unfortunately for you, it doesn't work that way.
    In order for a single point to apply, it must be established beyond contention.
    I could list 50 reasons why the internet doesn't exist but not a single one of them would be compelling or accurate, so why would I offer them and hope to prevail?
    This is the primary purpose behind my intention to keep the focus on but two points: establish them or demolish them, either way the conversation is advanced.

I have acknowledged repeatedly that I may be completely wrong on the topic, but in order for that to hold sway, the evidence which I am presenting must be examined (without distraction) and a determination as to its veracity.
    Unlike you and other self-described scienc-y types, I am beholden to actual scientific examination which requires an open, inquisitive mind first and foremost.
    It requires a non-biased consideration of the facts of the examination.
    It also requires proper observation as well as mathematical agreement with reality.
    And finally, it requires logic and the ability to apply the same to the findings.

In the spirit of concession, I started this thread to address one of the objections you continued to offer in the other thread.
    And even here, you cannot stay on topic, choosing instead to wander off on all manner of auxiliary issues instead of the one at hand.

Wonder why.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 18:091 edit
    What a tic...
    In the other thread--- which you continue to stray from the two questions asked--- I specifically and repeatedly emphasized how my focus in the thread would be restricted to the two questions.
    Nonetheless you continued to go off track and instead of keeping the conversation on topic, found new and novel ways to introduce a sundry list of o ...[text shortened]... tead to wander off on all manner of auxiliary issues instead of the one at hand.

Wonder why.
    Because you are incapable of actual dialog, you want to be in total charge of any conversation. So be in total charge, I refuse to play your game. Several people have answered your questions, which you simply won't accept as answers because they don't just have us fall over and play dead. Goodbye. Crawl back in your hole.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 19:53
    Because you are incapable of actual dialog, you want to be in total charge of any conversation. So be in total charge, I refuse to play your game. Several people have answered your questions, which you simply won't accept as answers because they don't just have us fall over and play dead. Goodbye. Crawl back in your hole.
    As those answers totally satisfy your standards, there is little left to say.
    You consider the CE to be a thing until it isn't a thing: the earth rotates underneath and away from a bullet but not from a plane--- even one traveling nearly three times the speed of the bullet.
    You're so effed in the head, that actually makes sense to you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree