1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 12:001 edit
    It seems that these are having a resurgence of late. Has anyone tried shaving with one? Does it shave better than a so called safety razor like a Gillette? I've had a shave at the barbers with an open razor and it was truly phenomenal, however he used a disposable open blade changing the blade for every customer. I just wondered if anyone has any experience with these things.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 13:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It seems that these are having a resurgence of late. Has anyone tried shaving with one? Does it shave better than a so called safety razor like a Gillette? I've had a shave at the barbers with an open razor and it was truly phenomenal, however he used a disposable open blade changing the blade for every customer. I just wondered if anyone has any experience with these things.
    Wobbie,

I suggest you using one. Watch not to slice your throat of course. 😉

-VR
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 14:372 edits
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Wobbie,

I suggest you using one. Watch not to slice your throat of course. 😉

-VR
    You would only miss me Crusty old bean after all we've been through!
  4. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 14:561 edit
    I get a haircut, shave and head massage every few weeks from one of the many Indian barbers in Brunei. Thoroughly brilliant. They also use one of those disposable cut-throat jobs and when they are done, it feels like you won't need another shave for a week. Not sure I'd like to try using one myself though - It'd be sure to get messy.
    The whole process takes an hour and is way, way better than anything I've had in the UK. The cost? £2. I tip very heavily on top because these guys don't earn a great deal.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 15:13
    You would only miss me Crusty old bean after all we've been through!
    Wobbie,

See how you take everything I say so negative. I was only telling you to be very careful if you use one as it would be easy to cut your throat. 😉

-VR
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 15:22
    Originally posted by Larkie
    I get a haircut, shave and head massage every few weeks from one of the many Indian barbers in Brunei. Thoroughly brilliant. They also use one of those disposable cut-throat jobs and when they are done, it feels like you won't need another shave for a week. Not sure I'd like to try using one myself though - It'd be sure to get messy.
    The whole process takes ...[text shortened]... d in the UK. The cost? £2. I tip very heavily on top because these guys don't earn a great deal.
    Yes they are the ultimate. Here many traditional barbers are offering the service although the Turkish are reputed to be the best. I think if one learned to use one it might not be so difficult.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 15:22
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Wobbie,

See how you take everything I say so negative. I was only telling you to be very careful if you use one as it would be easy to cut your throat. 😉

-VR
    Sure you were. . .with your fingers crossed!
  8. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 17:28
    My Mexican barber was the very best at haircut and shave...the very best I say...
    But unfortunately, he has been deported...

Oh, yeah, my lawn guy too...

And my maid.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:04
    Originally posted by LEUR
    My Mexican barber was the very best at haircut and shave...the [b]very best I say...

And my maid.[/b]
    Dear sir,

We write to provide further clarification on the deportation of your barber, maid and lawn guy:
    1. Your barber, Sweeney Todd Sánchez, was deported due to the suspicious contents of his pork pies.
    2. Your maid was deported due to her affiliation with a notorious bandit (Robin Hood)
    3. Your lawn guy was deported for being a goat.

Yours sincerely

Mr Red Tape
    Chief Immigration Officer
    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  10. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:20
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Dear sir,

We write to provide further clarification on the deportation of your barber, maid and lawn guy:
    1. Your barber, Sweeney Todd Sánchez, was deported due to the suspicious contents of his pork pies.
    2. Your maid was deported due to her affiliation with a notorious bandit (Robin Hood)
    3. Your lawn guy was deported for being a goat.

You ...[text shortened]... Red Tape
    Chief Immigration Officer
    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
    Cool, wish I could do five thumbs up.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:26
    Never, quite interesting though and I've sometimes thought about havin one. However if you have any skill blemishes won't you end up slashed to pieces?
  12. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Never, quite interesting though and I've sometimes thought about havin one. However if you have any skill blemishes won't you end up slashed to pieces?
    Yes, you will. Best left to an expert. And do make sure there are no pie shops beneath....
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I suspect not anymore than a conventional safety razor. From what I can discern the trick is to buy a good razor, not a cheapo, this will last a lifetime and the leather belt thing that goes with it. There are loads of videos on the proper technique. As others have testified when I have received a shave from someone using an open razor it feels like it would last a week. Truly awesome.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:42
    Originally posted by LEUR
    My Mexican barber was the very best at haircut and shave...the [b]very best I say...

And my maid.[/b]
    Deported? that's a spot of bad luck old chap. 🙁
  15. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:47
    I suspect not anymore than a conventional safety razor. From what I can discern the trick is to buy a good razor, not a cheapo, this will last a lifetime and the leather belt thing that goes with it. There are loads of videos on the proper technique. As others have testified when I have received a shave from someone using an open razor it feels like it would last a week. Truly awesome.
    You are probably right - but it does require practice.
    My own barber seems to spend an age lathering my chops with a good old-fashioned badger brush first, really working it in - I guess it opens the pores properly before the razor. I think this process is also key to the closeness of the shave. It ain't a rush job!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree