1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 19:351 edit
    Originally posted by Larkie
    You are probably right - but it does require practice.
    My own barber seems to spend an age lathering my chops with a good old-fashioned badger brush first, really working it in - I guess it opens the pores properly before the razor. I think this process is also key to the closeness of the shave. It ain't a rush job!
    yes absolutely, you need proper brush and soap and to prepare the face, no rush out in the morning job, no siree. πŸ˜€
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 19:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I suspect not anymore than a conventional safety razor. From what I can discern the trick is to buy a good razor, not a cheapo, this will last a lifetime and the leather belt thing that goes with it. There are loads of videos on the proper technique. As others have testified when I have received a shave from someone using an open razor it feels like it would last a week. Truly awesome.
    Where did you go to get it, a traditional barber?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 20:15
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Where did you go to get it, a traditional barber?
    yes.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 23:202 edits
    I was once travelling by car through the former Yugoslavia. I had been some days on the road and was looking rather scruffy. I had tried shaving myself with a so-called safety razor and bungled it, leaving a scabby slash on my lip a couple of millimetres long. I decided to get a proper barber to give me a proper shave, with lather and a straight razor. My, what a difference: the man even managed to shave the whiskers around the cut without opening the wound! I tipped him handsomely.

My grandfathers knew how to handle a straight razor, and to keep one sharp. I wouldn't risk it. This is something best left to professionals, IMO.

EDIT: you may find that Turkish barbers singe rather than cut the hairs in your ears. This can be startling, for those not expecting it.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 08:121 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I was once travelling by car through the former Yugoslavia. I had been some days on the road and was looking rather scruffy. I had tried shaving myself with a so-called safety razor and bungled it, leaving a scabby slash on my lip a couple of millimetres long. I decided to get a proper barber to give me a proper shave, with lather and a straight razor. My, w ...[text shortened]... e[/i] rather than cut the hairs in your ears. This can be startling, for those not expecting it.
    Would you still get a cut-throat razor shave in that part of the world? 😲

Edit: OK libs, yeah I know it's mostly safe, it's just a joke, relax
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 13:03
    I was once travelling by car through the former Yugoslavia. I had been some days on the road and was looking rather scruffy. I had tried shaving myself with a so-called safety razor and bungled it, leaving a scabby slash on my lip a couple of millimetres long. I decided to get a proper barber to give me a proper shave, with lather and a straight razor. My, w ...[text shortened]... e[/i] rather than cut the hairs in your ears. This can be startling, for those not expecting it.
    you fluffed it wit a safety razor? I somehow pictured you out there rather deftly skimming the five o'clock shadow off with a samurai sword.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 14:341 edit
    Sure you were. . .with your fingers crossed!
    Wobbie,

What the hell, just try a chainsaw. See how that works out for you! πŸ˜›

-VR
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 16:03
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Wobbie,

What the hell, just try a chainsaw. See how that works out for you! πŸ˜›

-VR
    I am finished with you Crusty, leave me alone.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 21:23
    you fluffed it wit a safety razor? I somehow pictured you out there rather deftly skimming the five o'clock shadow off with a samurai sword.
    More like a Swiss Army knife.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 21:251 edit
    More like a Swiss Army knife.
    πŸ˜€ ouch! still its gotta be better than getting circumcised with flint knifes.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 21:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Would you still get a cut-throat razor shave in that part of the world? 😲

Edit: OK libs, yeah I know it's mostly safe, it's just a joke, relax
    Sure.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 22:56
    In Belgrade's center, at Kralja Petra Street there are two old fashioned barber shop, like from brothers Coen's films.
    A Danish writer, friend of mine, had his hair cut in one of them and he said to me later that he reckons the barber was drunk.

This is the pic of other one:
    http://24sata.production.rvc.ha.rs/prica-o-najpoznatijem-beogradskom-berberinu-koji-je-zbog-podviga-postao-istorijska-licnost/36115
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '17 10:41
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    In Belgrade's center, at Kralja Petra Street there are two old fashioned barber shop, like from brothers Coen's films.
    A Danish writer, friend of mine, had his hair cut in one of them and he said to me later that he reckons the barber was drunk.

This is the pic of other one:
    http://24sata.production.rvc.ha.rs/prica-o-najpoznatijem-beogradskom-berberinu-koji-je-zbog-podviga-postao-istorijska-licnost/36115
    Vanders have you ever been to Slovenia?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '17 11:54
    Of course.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '17 11:57
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Of course.
    what was it like?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree