1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 18:552 edits
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    So when people thought that the earth was the center of their universe (a fact to them). When people thought that the world was flat (a fact to them). ??? Can facts really not be overturned? It seems to me that facts are only facts till someone/something proves them otherwise.
    People often use "fact" as they use "truth."

Wittgenstein said a fact is that which is the case. If a cat chases a ball, the cat chasing the ball is the fact.

The statement "The cat is chasing the ball" is a truth, not a fact. Facts are not statements. A truth is a statement that corresponds in a certain way to; or "fits" a fact.

Wittgenstein thereby tells us how he is going to use these words. This does not mean we have to, but it makes sense to me.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 06:441 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Facts are factual and therefore real and true and cannot be denied or overturned.
    If they were not then they would not be called facts.
    Is it a fact that you are a 1078 rated chess player?
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 16:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is it a fact that you are a 1078 rated chess player?
    Is it a FACT that your average rating in the past 90 days as a rated chess player is 945? 😉
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 19:42
    Originally posted by JS357
    People often use "fact" as they use "truth."

Wittgenstein said a fact is that which is the case. If a cat chases a ball, the cat chasing the ball is the fact.

The statement "The cat is chasing the ball" is a truth, not a fact. Facts are not statements. A truth is a statement that corresponds in a certain way to; or "fits" a fact.

Wittgenstein ...[text shortened]... he is going to use these words. This does not mean we have to, but it makes sense to me.
    How could Wittgenstein possibly know that the cat was chasing the ball, the cat might have just been moving on the same trajectory.🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree