1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '20 09:16
    During lockdown I’ve bought a new place. To be precise sold just before and bought just after lockdown.

The new place was owned by a keen grow-your-own couple and has several very large vegetable areas and others growing fruit. Also a large greenhouse and a potting shed. I’m now looking at it in blinky-eyed bewilderment.

What are your experiences, advices and top tips for growing your own?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 May '20 09:26
    @divegeester said
    During lockdown I’ve bought a new place. To be precise sold just before and bought just after lockdown.

The new place was owned by a keen grow-your-own couple and has several very large vegetable areas and others growing fruit. Also a large greenhouse and a potting shed. I’m now looking at it in blinky-eyed bewilderment.

Well we grow some vegetables.

There are Things which more or less just grow (for us zucchini is an example) and plants that Need a bit of care (Tomatoes e.g.) A lot depnds on yur local conditions and what you like. In our parts for example radish is not a good fruit since we have those pesky larvae which feed on them...
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 May '20 09:30
    @divegeester said

nip to the greengrocers
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 May '20 11:39
    @divegeester said

No, but respect to people who do. Amazing how long people wait who apply for allotments
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    29 May '20 11:501 edit
    Be willing to buy and use a BB Gun. Rabbits hate the taste of copper.

If you're adverse to the flavor of pesticides, learn to enjoy the thought of eating microscopic beetle and weevil eggs. It's just added protein after all. 🙂
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 May '20 11:52
    @wolfe63 said
    Be willing to buy and use a BB Gun. Rabbits hate the taste of copper.
    Just use a .22 and you have meal to boot!

-VR
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 09:07
    @divegeester said

How did I ever miss this thread? 😲 I am so envious as I would love a big flat garden.

I’ve been working on a plot of land, next to my neighbour’s property, since retirement 3 years ago. It slopes from north down to south and west down to east so is a really hard work with slow progress. However, Covid 19 and lockdown has been the reason for what I consider a great development there this year 😄
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 10:50
    @divegeester said

Well done in buying your new abode. We had a large veg plot in our last but one house in England, and I recommend you give it a go if you have time. In the end we produced so much that we had to buy a chest freezer to keep it all in, but we never had to buy vegetables...There's no point really in giving specific advice, as it all depends what you like to eat, and there exists of course a wealth of literature and on - line advice.
    Generally speaking, grow as much as you have time to look after, and as much as you enjoy growing, be prepared for some failures and losing stuff to pests etc. Trial and error is a big part of it, but otherwise it can be extremely rewarding. In the potato world (for example) there's nothing quite like digging up new potatoes, sticking them in a pan immediately and eating them with butter. Shop - bought potatoes will never taste the same again.
    Good luck, and may the forces of nature be with you, dear chap.
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 13:35
    @divegeester said

accurate testing of the soil for nutrient content and moisture
    learn which fertilizers, and how much, are required for specific plants

it's a full time job
    at first it will be overwhelming
    when you taste the dirt tho, the sense of reward is exhilarating
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 13:46
    Paprika seems to work at keeping, at least rabbits, at bay and only a little is needed.
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 14:27
    @great-big-stees said
    Paprika seems to work at keeping, at least rabbits, at bay and only a little is needed.
    cayenne will chase a whole slew of bugs away
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 16:23
    @rookie54 said
    cayenne will chase a whole slew of bugs away
    Not this BUGger. I loves cayenne. Bring it on...or maybe I should say, “Put it on”. 😀
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 21:02
    @rookie54 said
    accurate testing of the soil for nutrient content and moisture
    learn which fertilizers, and how much, are required for specific plants

it's a full time job
    at first it will be overwhelming
    when you taste the dirt tho, the sense of reward is exhilarating
    I’ve been learning about permaculture and am developing my plot on those principles. It’s no show garden. There’s no waste with messy piles of branches, twigs and leaves for composting or refuges where the native frogs, toads and slow worms can hide from the local marauding cats. There’s no digging to preserve moisture content of the soil and my latest veg beds are now bordered with new logs that will eventually be used for the wood burner in 2-3 years time.

I fertilise with seaweed, manure and blood, fish & bone.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '20 21:54
    Dumb thread.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 05:43
    @chaney3 said
    Dumb thread.
    Go to bed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree