1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 05:47
    @indonesia-phil said
    Well done in buying your new abode. We had a large veg plot in our last but one house in England, and I recommend you give it a go if you have time. In the end we produced so much that we had to buy a chest freezer to keep it all in, but we never had to buy vegetables...There's no point really in giving specific advice, as it all depends what you like to eat, and there ...[text shortened]... s will never taste the same again.
    Good luck, and may the forces of nature be with you, dear chap.
    Thanks Phil. I have to report that the purchase of this property fell through, hence my other thread about looking for somewhere to live. Nevertheless I will be growing some food in wherever I end up in the not too distant future.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 06:44
    I love growing vegetables. Even though I live in an apartment, I have been lucky enough to have two 3 foot X 12 foot allotment beds to care for. I have peas, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, kale, lettuce, beets, onions, cabbage, broccoli, beans, kohlrabi, potatoes, herbs, nasturtium and other flowers.

You can literally grow anything, anywhere. When rookie and I lived together, I cried and begged for a vegetable garden plot, so rookie tilled the drainage area across the street from us...something crazy like 50 feet X 6 feet (or was it more?—I’m super spatially challenged). We watered it daily but also had full advantage of the drainage whenever it rarely rained. People slowed down in their cars to see how it progressed.

My best advice:

Keep it simple
    Plant what you like to eat
    Put the seeds in the ground
    Have faith, but keep it weeded—it’s ok to ignore
    it for a little while every so often
    Don’t be afraid to experiment
    It’s ok if a crop “fails”, you can always re-plant,
    and there will be another season

Enjoy!
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 07:39
    @hakima said
    I love growing vegetables. Even though I live in an apartment, I have been lucky enough to have two 3 foot X 12 foot allotment beds to care for. I have peas, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, kale, lettuce, beets, onions, cabbage, broccoli, beans, kohlrabi, potatoes, herbs, nasturtium and other flowers.

You can literally grow anything, anywhere. When rookie and I lived together, ...[text shortened]...

Enjoy!
    Beautifully said. It's a miracle.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 10:08
    @hakima said

You can literally grow anything, anywhere. When rookie and I lived together, ...[text shortened]...

Enjoy!
    Well done you and great advice from an experienced grower.

I’m a big fan of kale, Nero de Toscana, which is a perennial for up to 3 years and also one of the most nutritious vegetables on the planet. I’ve nurtured 40 plants this year and have them under Environmesh. Last year I made the big mistake of resting the mesh over the plants which of course allowed butterflies to lay eggs on it 😫 so I’m expecting a bumper crop this year.

Have discovered that runner beans are a perennial so with our milder winters here in Wales I’ll be leaving my plants in this year. Also have experimented with maize this year and will be trying your Three Sisters planting next year to include squash and runner beans as was done in your Native American villages.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 12:07
    My thumb, unfortunately is black and blue (from me trying to "fix" things around the house) and not green. I could kill a cactus even if I lived in a desert.
    πŸ™
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 13:20
    @divegeester said
    During lockdown I’ve bought a new place. To be precise sold just before and bought just after lockdown.

The new place was owned by a keen grow-your-own couple and has several very large vegetable areas and others growing fruit. Also a large greenhouse and a potting shed. I’m now looking at it in blinky-eyed bewilderment.

What are your experiences, advices and top tips for growing your own?
    Sledgehammer, sand and paving slabs. That’s what I employed when I ended up paying for some else’s fetish.
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 14:33
    @kevcvs57 said
    Sledgehammer, sand and paving slabs. That’s what I employed when I ended up paying for some else’s fetish.
    i am the anti-gardener
    i kill because it's there
    not just weeds and thistles and kreeping kudzu
    it's anything that gets in my hair

~ "concrete" kevcvs57

this is a joke folks, i love this guy
  8. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 14:341 edit
    @hakima said
    I love growing vegetables.
    it's true
    i flourished when she watered me

edit-
    remember when i planted about 8.62 billion watermelons and the they began exploding from heat expansion?
    ah, good times
  9. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 14:39
    @rookie54 said
    it's true
    i flourished when she watered me

edit-
    remember when i planted about 8.62 billion watermelons and the they began exploding from heat expansion?
    ah, good times
    😲
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 15:15
    @rookie54 said
    i am the anti-gardener
    i kill because it's there
    not just weeds and thistles and kreeping kudzu
    it's anything that gets in my hair

~ "concrete" kevcvs57

this is a joke folks, i love this guy
    Still uncomfortably close to the truth though 🀭
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 18:09
    Only unintentionally, between my toes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree