1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 22:091 edit
    "Everybody's Favorite Topic"

"The Neuroscience of Everybody's Favorite Topic: Why do people spend so much time talking about themselves? Adrian F. Ward / Human beings are social animals. We spend large portions of our waking hours communicating with others, and the possibilities for conversation are seemingly endless—we can make plans and crack jokes; reminisce about the past and dream about the future; share ideas and spread information. This ability to communicate—with almost anyone, about almost anything—has played a central role in our species’ ability to not just survive, but flourish.

How do you choose to use this immensely powerful tool—communication? Do your conversations serve as doorways to new ideas and experiences? Do they serve as tools for solving the problems of disease and famine? Or do you mostly just like to talk about yourself? If you’re like most people, your own thoughts and experiences may be your favorite topic of conversation. On average, people spend 60 percent of conversations talking about themselves—and this figure jumps to 80 percent when communicating via social media platforms such as Twitter or Facebook.

Why, in a world full of ideas to discover, develop, and discuss, do people spend the majority of their time talking about themselves? Recent research suggests a simple explanation: because it feels good..."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-neuroscience-of-everybody-favorite-topic-themselves

o Agree?

o Disagree?

o Other?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 22:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Why, in a world full of ideas to discover, develop, and discuss, do people spend the majority of their time talking about themselves? Recent research suggests a simple explanation: because it feels good..."
    Feel good, Bobby?
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 23:41
    [b]"Everybody's Favorite Topic"

"The Neuroscience of Everybody's Favorite Topic: Why do people spend so much time talking about themselves? Adrian F. Ward / Human beings are social animals. We spend large portions of our waking hours communicating with others, and the possibilities for conversation are seemingly endless—we can make plans ...[text shortened]... d=the-neuroscience-of-everybody-favorite-topic-themselves

o Agree?

o Disagree?

o Other?[/b]
    It looks like Scientific American has joined the pop science bandwagon. This is an example of narcissism feeding on itself. First we encourage people to focus on themselves, and then we examine why so many people focus on themselves. The junk science is bad enough, but now through the miracle of science we've discovered the reason why so many people talk about themselves... because it feels good!

Pffft 🙄 😛 😕 😲
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 00:54
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    It looks like Scientific American has joined the pop science bandwagon. This is an example of narcissism feeding on itself. First we encourage people to focus on themselves, and then we examine why so many people focus on themselves. The junk science is bad enough, but now through the miracle of science we've discovered the reason why so many people talk about themselves... because it feels good!

Pffft 🙄 😛 😕 😲
    "How do you choose to use this immensely powerful tool—communication?"

lemon lime, your insight sheds light on the article.
    In your considered opinion, what do most people want to talk about
    (other than themselves)?
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 01:49
    ...what do most people want to talk about
    (other than themselves)?
    They want to talk about what interests them.

This may only seem like an extension of themselves, but at least the focus is on something other than themselves personally. Introspection isn't a bad thing, I just think too much of it leads to a sense of self importance and a skewed idea of the world around us. I'm happiest when my mind is absorbed in something to the point where I forget about myself, even if it's only for a few minutes. One time I became so absorbed in a game of chess that when it was over I looked up and was surprised to see where I was. I could have been anywhere, at home, at a friends house or a coffee house, anywhere. Looking up from the game when it was over was like waking up from a dream... and it felt good.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 02:252 edits
    They want to talk about what interests them.

This may only seem like an extension of themselves, but at least the focus is on something other than themselves personally. Introspection isn't a bad thing, I just think too much of it leads to a sense of self importance and a skewed idea of the world around us. I'm happiest when my mind is absorbed in some ...[text shortened]... . Looking up from the game when it was over was like waking up from a dream... and it felt good.
    "Do your conversations serve as doorways to new ideas and experiences? Do they serve as tools for solving the problems of disease and famine? Or do you mostly just like to talk about yourself? If you’re like most people, your own thoughts and experiences may be your favorite topic of conversation."

Apparently, your unique chess game experience would have been anticipated within the italicized sentence of the focus study quoted above. I'm beginning to wonder if "Or do you mostly just like to talk about yourself" should have been lengthened to include "... and personal experiences and discoveries which challenge your mind and become totally engrossing".
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 03:31
    "Do your conversations serve as doorways to new ideas and experiences? Do they serve as tools for solving the problems of disease and famine? Or do you mostly just like to talk about yourself? If you’re like most people, your own thoughts and experiences may be your favorite topic of conversation."

Apparently, your unique chess game experience ...[text shortened]... d personal experiences and discoveries which challenge your mind and become totally engrossing".
    Other than in a classroom or at a job (or for some nefarious purpose) can you think of an example of someone talking about something other than themselves or what interests them? We all do it.

I'm not sure what you are asking. If my conversations have served as doorways to new ideas or tools for solving problems then it's been happening without my knowledge. But that's usually how it works.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 03:53
    Other than in a classroom or at a job (or for some nefarious purpose) can you think of an example of someone talking about something other than themselves or what interests them? We all do it.

I'm not sure what you are asking. If my conversations have served as doorways to new ideas or tools for solving problems then it's been happening without my knowledge. But that's usually how it works.
    There are no questions asked; just an observation that the conclusions of the focus study are, in fact, somewhat more encompassing than first appeared with your own anecdotal memory as documentation. We also talk about other people.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 06:331 edit
    [b]"Everybody's Favorite Topic"

"The Neuroscience of Everybody's Favorite Topic: Why do people spend so much time talking about themselves? Adrian F. Ward / Human beings are social animals. We spend large portions of our waking hours communicating with others, and the possibilities for conversation are seemingly endless—we can make plans ...[text shortened]... d=the-neuroscience-of-everybody-favorite-topic-themselves

o Agree?

o Disagree?

o Other?[/b]
    "Our subject is not surprising. “The proper study of mankind is man,” Alexander Pope, the 18th century English poet and essayist, once wrote. However, E.B. White, American humorist and English stylist, expands on Pope, saying, “The proper study of man is man – says man."

\\http://tourocommunicationclub.blogspot.com/2010/03/touro-communication-club-notes-110.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree