1. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 08:21
    I keep seeing memes on social media related to lockdown and lack of exercise. When Covid started its first rant and rave, I determined not to be one of those who emerged heavier and unhealthier than when it started.

I had bought two pair of running shoes a couple of years ago and started running three miles a day...at least enough for a 5K challenge or fun run, knowing that I am such a slow runner. I didn’t care because it really WAS fun...and then I developed plantar faciitis in my right foot, which made walking painful, much less running. It was so discouraging. I stopped exercising and the ponds came on. At some point, I just didn’t seem to care...

And then Covid appeared and I started hearing about people dying...and then I did care...I figured that my best defense, at least to start was to take better care of myself...the pain in my foot had long since healed so there was no excuse...I got the old shoes out and started running, immediately realizing that new shoes were just around the horizon.

I ran the 5K again and found it much easier than the first time I started...the first US stimulus money and knowing how fast $1200 could really go, I decided to use it in one swoop on something that would continue this personal defense against the pandemic...I bought a road bike and took it out right away on a trail that runs 40 miles round trip. It was fantastic!

I’ve added trail running (and more shoes) to my routine and found that while a bit more difficult than road running, it’s more enjoyable and there is so much more to see along the way...I already mentioned here my fall in my face...it wasn’t pretty and with US healthcare, even with insurance, I’m shelling out $450 for the ED visit...still worth it when compared to a ventilator and thousands of dollars for a hospital stay.

Every run is dedicated to someone who can’t run to keep me grateful and humble. One day as I was running along the waterfront, I passed a man in a wheelchair. He waved at me and said,”I used to do that. I wish I still had the legs for it.” Guess who my run was for the next day, which was the day I had my fall. Remembering his words has given me the courage and strength I have needed to continue in to 10 and 20k’s...it takes forever for me to finish, but I’m learning to “honor my pace” as my daughter says...

If you have found exercise to be the remedy by the cloud of this pandemic, what do you do and how is it helping you?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 09:34
    @hakima said
    I keep seeing memes on social media related to lockdown and lack of exercise. When Covid started its first rant and rave, I determined not to be one of those who emerged heavier and unhealthier than when it started.

I had bought two pair of running shoes a couple of years ago and started running three miles a day...at least enough for a 5K challenge or fun run, knowing that ...[text shortened]... d exercise to be the remedy by the cloud of this pandemic, what do you do and how is it helping you?
    Fitness really is its own reward.

Good for you.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 10:081 edit
    Not sure if this is true. Never searched for the answer because I probably didn't want to hear it, but just before I retired a colleague of mine (also a keen runner) asked me did I know that runners don't increase their life expectancy, but do get significantly more musculoskeletal injuries and in particular lasting wear and tear to back and knees?

Personally I don't care as I think it's great for mental health and I seem to find it easier to maintain a healthier body weight when running. In fact I once read an identical twin study where they all maintained about the same body weight as their twin other than one pair where one had got into trail running (the other twin was a bit overweight).

The back and knee thing does make me favour trails over tarmac and pavements though. Life is definitely better when you feel fit.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 10:30
    @hakima

I am an avid cyclist, so I have set up one of my bikes on a home trainer and I watch back episodes of The Prisoner (Patrick McGoohan).

Also documentaries: BBT, Young Sheldon, Yes Minister.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 11:191 edit
    My wide and I either ride the bike or walk. There are two designated tours for that. And it is well to exercise at fresh air.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 12:25

Removed by poster

7. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 12:31
    I live in the tropics, running outside isn't really an option, I'd melt in about 5 minutes. So, it's an in - home cross - trainer, aircon and Pink Floyd on full blast and off I go! I think cross - trainers are good because they 'do' the whole body and your feet aren't thumping down all the time. And it's quick, 10k on number 7 takes about half an hour, (not quite all of 'Dark Side of the Moon' so I usually go on a bit) then it's into the shower if there's a tropical deluge or a bee - line for the swimming pool (you got to have one of those out here...) , sorted, then you can be a lazy git the rest of the day, and they can't touch you.
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 12:55
    @indonesia-phil said
    I live in the tropics, running outside isn't really an option, I'd melt in about 5 minutes. So, it's an in - home cross - trainer, aircon and Pink Floyd on full blast and off I go! I think cross - trainers are good because they 'do' the whole body and your feet aren't thumping down all the time. And it's quick, 10k on number 7 takes about half an hour, (not quite all o ...[text shortened]... ose out here...) , sorted, then you can be a lazy git the rest of the day, and they can't touch you.
    I'm guessing The Great Gig In The Sky is the bit where you work out hardest?
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 13:08
    In Oct 1969 or 70 (I can't remember) the company I worked for transferred me to Toronto (from Montreal). It was like going from "Heaven to Hell"...anyway Once I'd settled in I decided that I wanted to "take up" running. Not sure why but maybe because I saw a really nice pair of running shoes in Eaton's or somewhere. So I went in and bought the shoes (Nike I think). Bristling with pride with my new purchase I decided that if I was going to "be" a runner, I'd best look the part and bought the accompanying Nike pants and Hoodie. Oh, I forgot to mention that by this time it was January or February anyway I got dressed in my new attire and headed out for my first go at running. It was early morning (5:30) and cold but I was determined to go for it. I got about 4 blocks away and almost collapsed, coughing and wheezing, I thought I was going to drop dead right there on the sidewalk. When I was able to walk back to my apartment, on entering I doffed the attire never again to try running. I did continue to wear the shoes. Running be damned. Ooooops, I didn't mention that at the time I was a heavy smoker and that I didn't do the prerequisite warmups before starting. Pretty sure that may have been a contributing factor.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 14:35
    @ponderable said
    My wide and I either ride the bike or walk. There are two designated tours for that. And it is well to exercise at fresh air.
    It is most imprudent to refer to one's wife as 'wide' sir.

My exercise these days consists of a brisk morning walk, pausing sporadically to feed squirrels.

(I reposted this, as in my original post wrote 'impudent' rather than the intended imprudent).
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 14:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

My exercise these days consists of a brisk morning walk, pausing sporadically to feed squirrels.

(I reposted this, as in my original post wrote 'impudent' rather than the intended imprudent).
    No need to apologize about a typo in a post referring to a typo πŸ˜‰
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 14:42
    @ponderable said
    No need to apologize about a typo in a post referring to a typo πŸ˜‰
    Much obliged sir, though was horrified to spot I had called you impudent. πŸ™‚
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 19:23
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Is it bad to feed squirrels?

Hand-fed wild animals lose their fear of humans. It's OK to feed squirrels if you'd like, but do so from a feeder—never by hand. We know they're cute and they might seem hungry, but feeding wild animals -- whether in your own backyard, a local park, or while on vacation -- just isn't a good idea.

Don't bother to thank me! πŸ™‚

-VR
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 19:461 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Is it bad to feed squirrels?

Hand-fed wild animals lose their fear of humans. It's OK to feed squirrels if you'd like, but do so from a feeder—never by hand. We know they're cute and they might seem hungry, but feeding wild animals -- whether in your own backyard, a local park, or while on vacation -- just isn't a good idea.

Don't bother to thank me! πŸ™‚
    Thank you for copy/pasting.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 19:56
    @handyandy said
    Thank you for copy/pasting.
    Thank you for leading by example my dear old friend! πŸ™‚

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree