1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 May '16 17:131 edit
    Famous People

"Former Harvard Professor T. North Whitehead Dead (November 24, 1969) T. North Whitehead, a former Harvard professor who pioneered in the study of human relations in industry, died Saturday in Cambridge at the age of 77. He had been ill with pneumonia.

Whitehead, the son of English philosopher Alfred North Whitehead, came to Harvard in 1931 to join a human relations study-group at the Business School. This group was one of the first to investigate human relations in the actual work situations of factories and offices.

When World War II broke out. Whitehead went back to England to serve as an adviser on United States affairs in the Foreign Office.

Whitehead returned to the United States in 1944 to organize a graduate program in personnel administration at Radcliffe for women seeking business careers. He continued to head this program until 1955, when the Business School began admitting women. He then served as associate professor in the Business School until he retired from Harvard in 1963.

Whitehead, who became a U.S. citizen in 1952, grew up in Cambridge, England. He earned a degree in Economics from Trinity College, Cambridge University, and did graduate work in mechanical engineering. However, he chose to work in the field of human relations. He said he changed fields because there was a lack of concern for people in economics and mechanical enginering.

Social Organization

"It is plain that no one really sees how to organize great industrial societies so as to satisfy the longing for such values as freedom, security, adventure and movement," Whitehead wrote. He spent his life trying to discover how to achieve such an organization of society.

While researching and teaching at Harvard. Whitehead wrote three major works: The Designs and Use of Instruments and Accurate Mechanisms, Leadership in a Free Society, and The Industrial Worker. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Church of the New Jerusalem." http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1969/11/24/former-harvard-professor-t-north-whitehead/
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '16 17:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Famous People

"Former Harvard Professor T. North Whitehead Dead (November 24, 1969) T. North Whitehead, a former Harvard professor who pioneered in the study of human relations in industry, died Saturday in Cambridge at the age of 77. He had been ill with pneumonia.

Whitehead, the son of English philosopher Alfred North Whitehead, came to ...[text shortened]... salem." http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1969/11/24/former-harvard-professor-t-north-whitehead/[/b]
    "He spent his life trying to discover how to achieve such an organization of society."

I'm sure his passing will be mourned.

But others too have spent their lives trying to organize society. Some are infamous. Too bad the human race, collectively, doesn't acknowledge the creator Jesus Christ, and organize society after His perfect plan.

Someday soon they'll have to. Problems solved.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 May '16 17:48
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm sure his passing will be mourned.
    He died 46 years ago.
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    25 May '16 18:08
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    He died 46 years ago.
    The same year grampy bobby did.
  5. Subscriberrookie54online
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    25 May '16 18:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Famous People[/b]
    to be famous, one must achieve the dubious level of public knowledge of existence...
    nobody i know knows who this lump of carbon is...
    ergo, he ain't famous...
    and you, again, are in error...
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 May '16 19:39
    Originally posted by Kegge
    The same year grampy bobby did.
    Has Red Hot Pawn's General Forum improved since "grampy bobby" died "46 years ago"?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '16 20:31
    He died 46 years ago.
    Just goes to show. 🙄

What's the difference? I didn't even know he existed. 😉
  8. Subscriberrookie54online
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    25 May '16 20:40
    art thou totally unedumicated???
    bostobobollo said the carbonlump was famous...
    he was in the HARVARD CRIMSON REVIEW for goodness sakes...

THAT'S FAMOUS!!!
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 May '16 20:44
    Just goes to show. 🙄

But you've heard of his father, no?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '16 20:49
    But you've heard of his father, no?
    If I didn't know who he was how would I know who his father was? But maybe I do and I just don't know it. I'm pretty dumb that way you know.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 May '16 20:58
    If I didn't know who he was how would I know who his father was? But maybe I do and I just don't know it. I'm pretty dumb that way you know.
    Alfred North Whitehead. Look him up.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '16 21:06
    Alfred North Whitehead. Look him up.
    Don't know him either. I doubt seriously whether it would make any difference. But I will just in case. 😉
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 May '16 21:12
    Don't know him either. I doubt seriously whether it would make any difference. But I will just in case. 😉
    This might be one of those days when you learn something new.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '16 21:151 edit
    Nope. Never heard of him, but I found this interesting, though I disagree with it.

Process theology

Process theology is a type of theology developed from Alfred North Whitehead's (1861–1947) process philosophy, most notably by Charles Hartshorne (1897–2000) and John B. Cobb (b. 1925). Process theology and process philosophy are collectively referred to as "process thought." (Process theology is unrelated to the Process Church.)

For both Whitehead and Hartshorne, it is an essential attribute of God to affect and be affected by temporal processes, contrary to the forms of theism that hold God to be in all respects non-temporal (eternal), unchanging (immutable), and unaffected by the world (impassible). Process theology does not deny that God is in some respects eternal (will never die), immutable (in the sense that God is unchangingly good), and impassible (in the sense that God's eternal aspect is unaffected by actuality), but it contradicts the classical view by insisting that God is in some respects temporal, mutable, and passible.[1]

Although process theologians all share certain similarities (particularly a stress on becoming over being and on relationality), there continue to be ongoing debates within the field on the nature of God, the relationship of God and the world, and immortality.
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 May '16 21:30
    Nope. Never heard of him, but I found this interesting, though I disagree with it.

Process theology

Process theology is a type of theology developed from Alfred North Whitehead's (1861–1947) process philosophy, most notably by Charles Hartshorne (1897–2000) and John B. Cobb (b. 1925). Process theology and process philosophy are collectively referred to ...[text shortened]... s within the field on the nature of God, the relationship of God and the world, and immortality.
    Move along, nothing to see here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree