1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 15:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    anyone seen,

The Straight Story, about dude that travels across rural America in a lawnmower? awesome film and Tender Mercies, another contemplative classic.
    You say he travels "in" a lawnmower???
    Stop drinking so early in the day lad!!
    It will rot your liver!!

Of course, they would just grind it up and call it haggis. 😕
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 16:17
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You say he travels "in" a lawnmower???
    Stop drinking so early in the day lad!!
    It will rot your liver!!

Of course, they would just grind it up and call it haggis. 😕
    It looked like a lawnmower to me , you do get grass in Texas right, the stuff that cows
    eat?
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 17:241 edit
    It looked like a lawnmower to me , you do get grass in Texas right, the stuff that cows
    eat?
    Have you ever ridden "in" a lawnmower?

Down here, we ride "on" a lawnmower.

EDIT: We can also walk behind a lawnmower.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Have you ever ridden "in" a lawnmower?

Down here, we ride "on" a lawnmower.

EDIT: We can also walk behind a lawnmower.
    pedant!
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:21
    anyone seen,

The Straight Story, about dude that travels across rural America in a lawnmower? awesome film and Tender Mercies, another contemplative classic.
    I have em both Robbie!

The Straight Story is very good. He is very old and can't see well, so he can't get a driver's license. He rigs a lawnmower with a trailer for him to sleep in as he travels the U.S. to see his brother. They had a falling out, and he wants to make ammends before he dies. Great Story ... and an odd choice from David Lynch (if I remember right)

Tender Mercies is great too. It won Duvall the Oscar. I think the newer Crazy Hearts movie is very similar (and better to those who haven't seen Tender Mercies). I was on a Duvall frenzy for a while. The Apostle and Tomorrow are also good, but be warned Tomorrow is a very simple story and relies more on the characters/setting.
  6. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:26
    Lawnmower movies ...

The Lawnmower Man ... The Lawnmower Man 2 ... The Straight Story ... Forrest Gump ... Frankenhooker ...Can't Buy Me Love ...

Your turn
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:30
    Point Break ... The lawnmower almost puts an end to Keanu ...

Someone else go ...
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:54
    The Waterboy ...
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:56
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Point Break ... The lawnmower almost puts an end to Keanu ...

Someone else go ...
    'Prime cut' Lee Marvin nearly gets mashed by a really big lawn mower.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:59
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    'Prime cut' Lee Marvin nearly gets mashed by a really big lawn mower.
    I think that's a combine. It'll count though. (Watch out for the sausages!)
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:591 edit
    I have em both Robbie!

The Straight Story is very good. He is very old and can't see well, so he can't get a driver's license. He rigs a lawnmower with a trailer for him to sleep in as he travels the U.S. to see his brother. They had a falling out, and he wants to make ammends before he dies. Great Story ... and an odd choice from David Ly od, but be warned Tomorrow is a very simple story and relies more on the characters/setting.
    Have you seen Places in the heart? Now that was a truly awesome movie. I asked a
    friend to recommend some Texan films or films based in Texas and that why i seen
    some of these 🙂 There was also a scary movie with a dude that went around with like
    a thing for delivering a bolt through a cattle's head, except he was chasing someone
    who stumbled across Mexican drug money with it.
  12. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:021 edit
    Have you seen Places in the heart? Now that was a truly awesome movie. I asked a
    friend to recommend some Texan films or films based in Texas and that why i seen
    some of these 🙂 There was also a scary movie with a dude that went around with like
    a thing for delivering a bolt through a cattle's head, except he was chasing someone
    who stumbled across Mexican drug money with it.
    Yup ... It's in my collection too. Sally Field won the oscar that time. John Malkovich as the blind man is great too.

If you want Texas, see Giant. 🙂 It's a bit soap opera like, but I really enjoy it. The period for it is the transition from cattle farms to oil wells.

The second movie is No Country For Old Men. I enjoyed that one too. I guess I'm an all around movie lover. The Coens have a really weird style (sometimes), but I enjoy their movies.
  13. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:07
    What about The Last Picture Show or Hud? They are both pretty good Larry McMurtry stories. (He also wrote the Lonesome Dove stories.) I tried to see everything he wrote ... that is until Brokeback Mountain. I left that one alone.

Really though, Lonesome Dove is an epic miniseries with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as the main characters!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:092 edits
    What about The Last Picture Show or Hud? They are both pretty good Larry McMurtry stories. (He also wrote the Lonesome Dove stories.) I tried to see everything he wrote ... that is until Brokeback Mountain. I left that one alone.

Really though, Lonesome Dove is an epic miniseries with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as the main characters!
    yup i seen them, Hud was awesome although I never sat through all of the last picture
    show, it made me feel bad. Yeah, No Country For Old Men, was well scary, dude was
    so mean!
  15. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:18
    yup i seen them, Hud was awesome although I never sat through all of the last picture show, it made me feel bad.
    It's a little dirty I guess. That was around the time the code fell, maybe a little later . Pre 60's the Hollywood Admnistration Code had all these rules for films. Nothing even slightly dirty could be shown. Censorship was high. Then, the code fell and the rating system took effect. Movies like Bonnie and Clyde and the Wild Bunch got to use buckets of blood. Other movies began to show more and more sex. Shockingly, Midnight Cowboy got an X rating. It's pretty mild by today's standards. Amazingly, it won Best Picture!

As for Picture Show, I remember seeing some of Picture This. It's a documentary about The Last Picture Show being made. McMurtry made a lot of people angry when he wrote that book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree