General Forum

General Forum

  1. Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88310
    27 Dec '15 10:083 edits
    Fear not said he, for this beith not another seitieesque toilet thread, this beith an examination of the fleshy period between Christmas and New Year. I.e. from 27th December till 31st, not including the "party", such as it is.

    The crackers are gone, the presents are tucked away and the turkey is looking decidedly less like a turkey and more like a curry. The Christmas decorations are a bit dishevelled and seem somewhat incongruent with the avarice occurring on the high street, and once again there has been little or even no mention of Nativety, Christ, giving, loving or spirituality for the entire Christmas period. Not that Chritmas had anything to do with any of those things originally of course, but nevertheless, our seasonal tradition is in worse shape than the turkey.

    No, Christmas, such as it is, by the 27th has become less of a tightly embraced post festive afterglow and more of a rude awakening as the creeping tide of reality laps at our naked toes. This strange period which saddles Christmas and the New Year is a useless piece of time that only had the original purpose of separating the wild New Year shenanigans from the religious cosy holiness of the 25th December. Now, without even the religious pretence, it seems pointless to separate Christmas from New Year and the two commercial orrifices should be assimilated into one larger one.

    I love Christmas for what it is, not a religious festival, but a time where many families actually stop and spend time with other and importantly appreciate one another. But New Year, no I I'm not a fan of New Year celebrations at all. If you are at a party, well maybe, but watching all that crap on the TV whilst pretending it all means something significant to watch Gregory's calendar slip from one day to another. Na...

    Knock-knock...err who's there?...it's reality mate...oh damn it!

    Thoughts...?
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    27 Dec '15 10:29
    Sunday blues?
    Purpose is when meaning's been attributed.
    My late uncle would look at my art that I was vaguely attached to before and tell me his thoughts, how this concept (that only he had seen before) was similar to some such artist he admired, and how the juxtaposition of the colours brought out that great line.
    I know Christmas wasn't originally about nativity, but Jesus asked us to celebrate Easter not Nativity (whenever that may have happened) anyway.
    Life's a muddled simple puzzle that we all enjoy till we don't, level of that is upto us every time, including these interlude days, which, for me are extra Christmas days.
  3. Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88310
    27 Dec '15 10:34
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Sunday blues?
    Purpose is when meaning's been attributed.
    My late uncle would look at my art that I was vaguely attached to before and tell me his thoughts, how this concept (that only he had seen before) was similar to some such artist he admired, and how the juxtaposition of the colours brought out that great line.
    I know Christmas wasn't originally ab ...[text shortened]... t is upto us every time, including these interlude days, which, for me are extra Christmas days.
    Merry Cristmas YiM, it seems like it's been a while.

    🙂
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    27 Dec '15 10:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Merry Cristmas YiM, it seems like it's been a while.

    🙂
    Merry Christmas Dive :-)
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Dec '15 11:041 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Fear not said he, for this beith not another seitieesque toilet thread, this beith an examination of the fleshy period between Christmas and New Year. I.e. from 27th December till 31st, not including the "party", such as it is.

    The crackers are gone, the presents are tucked away and the turkey is looking decidedly less like a turkey and more like a curr ...[text shortened]... o another. Na...

    Knock-knock...err who's there?...it's reality mate...oh damn it!

    Thoughts...?
    "Festive perineum": appears to be an anatomical metaphor for the interlude between two yearend hangovers
    during which sobering reflections occur. Thanks for making me aware of its observance in the UK.
  6. Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88310
    27 Dec '15 11:29
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Festive perineum": appears to be an anatomical metaphor for the interlude between two yearend hangovers
    during which sobering reflections occur. Thanks for making me aware of its observance in the UK.
    That's not what it is to me, nor YiM, but each to their own.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    27 Dec '15 11:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The crackers are gone, the presents are tucked away and the turkey is looking decidedly less like a turkey and more like a curry.
    C'mon! Christmas is a lovely time. Everyone, and I mean everyone
    has a better persona. Who doesn't wish a "Happy Christmas" to a
    passing pedestrian or the bus diver or the shop-keeper?

    If you want to do something religious fine but Christmas is more than that!
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Dec '15 11:36
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That's not what it is to me, nor YiM, but each to their own.
    Simply a spontaneous reply to the last word in your original post: "Thoughts...?"
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Dec '15 11:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    C'mon! Christmas is a lovely time. Everyone, and I mean everyone
    has a better persona. Who doesn't wish a "Happy Christmas" to a
    passing pedestrian or the bus diver or the shop-keeper?

    If you want to do something religious fine but Christmas is more than that!
    Agree. My three favorite holidays are July 4th [freedom]; Thanksgiving Day [gratitude];
    and Christmas [family parties, reunions and reminiscences].
  10. Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88310
    27 Dec '15 13:231 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Simply a spontaneous reply to the last word in your original post: "Thoughts...?"
    GB my honestly well intentioned OP has received 2 'thumbs down'; why do you think that is?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Dec '15 15:344 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    GB my honestly well intentioned OP has received 2 'thumbs down'; why do you think that is?
    Maybe from some priggish taboo ridden prude (redundancy for emphasis). The perineum is the sensitive erogenous area between a woman's anus and vagina; and a man's anus and scrotum. God's design is perfect. He formed (the Hebrew word: Yatsar: Genesis 2:7) the first man; the first woman He fashioned or built (the Hebrew word: Banah: Genesis 2:22) which reinforces the accuracy of the seldom used phrase, "The quintessence of feminine pulchritude". In the human species, beauty is a characteristic of the female while in the pyramidal food chain species it characterizes the male. An example would be the male lion with its magnificent mane vs. the relative plainness of the female lioness. If anyone is interested in the website attribution for these two scripture references, I'll reply to your PM. Thanks for your objective question. Thumbs Up.
  12. Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88310
    27 Dec '15 16:01
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Maybe from some priggish taboo ridden prude (redundancy for emphasis). The perineum is the sensitive erogenous area between a woman's anus and vagina; and a man's anus and scrotum. God's design is perfect. He formed (the Hebrew word: Yatsar: Genesis 2:7) the first man; the first woman He fashioned or built (the Hebrew word: Banah: Genesis 2:22) which re ...[text shortened]... two scripture references, I'll reply to your PM. Thanks for your objective question. Thumbs Up.
    You know when someone needs to explain a joke...?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Dec '15 17:221 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You know when someone needs to explain a joke...?
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "GB my honestly well intentioned OP has received 2 'thumbs down'; why do you think that is?"
    ______________

    As always, since we met on Red Hot Pawn, I accepted your statement and question at face value.
    Should the words you type on these public forums be downgraded in the future?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35774
    27 Dec '15 20:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You know when someone needs to explain a joke...?
    Why, does someone need to explain his answer to you?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35774
    27 Dec '15 20:09
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That's not what it is to me, nor YiM, but each to their own.
    But you are the person comparing this last week on the calendar with a person's "nether" regions.

    Taking some material from Seitse now?
Back to Top