1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 17:11
    Okay, this far into lockdown it's probably time there was more fish related conversation.

I was shocked when I heard that Giant Squid have the same problem solving ability as dogs. It opened up whole new horizons for me so I thought I should share.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 17:14
    @petewxyz said
    Giant Squid have the same problem solving ability as dogs
    THEY POOP IN YER BOOTS WHILE YOU SLEEP???

this explains some things
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 17:331 edit
    @rookie54 said
    THEY POOP IN YER BOOTS WHILE YOU SLEEP???

this explains some things
    By no means impossible. I saw a documentary in which they discovered that an Octopus was leaving it's tank at night and checking out the house. it was crossing whole rooms but sticking in the tank when people were around.

But if it's pooping in your headphones that has to be a cat. Anybody remember Fat Freddy's cat? 'Wait til he puts his headphones on'.
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 17:57
    @petewxyz said
    Okay, this far into lockdown it's probably time there was more fish related conversation.

I was shocked when I heard that Giant Squid have the same problem solving ability as dogs. It opened up whole new horizons for me so I thought I should share.
    Undersea life is a horror show. There’s constantly something trying to eat you. I say more plastic and chemicals in the oceans the better. We need to kill those things off before they find their way onto land.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:011 edit
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Undersea life is a horror show. There’s constantly something trying to eat you. I say more plastic and chemicals in the oceans the better. We need to kill those things off before they find their way onto land.
    Yeah, but what if the chemicals just make the fish scarier. Watch The Simpsons, solid and informative perspective on fish mutation.

Who really knows what they are all up to now we are in lockdown?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:07
    @petewxyz said

A squid isn’t a fish.
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:09
    @divegeester said
    A squid isn’t a fish.
    This is, however, plainly a fish related issue as is your pertinent observation.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:12
    Someday I'll to tell you all about the big fish that got away!!!! 🙂

-VR
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:201 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Someday I'll to tell you all about the big fish that got away!!!! 🙂

-VR
    C'mon Rustic Man!
    Don't drown this thread in a sea of unrequited love stories.

BTW: How big was she? 😁
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:23
    @wolfe63 said
    C'mon Rustic Man!
    Don't drown this thread in a sea of unrequited love stories.

BTW: How big was she? 😁
    Well now I can't be sure if the fish was male or female you see it got away....put up a hell of a battle for over 3 hours.....Oh yes, the biggest fish I ever had on a line!!!

-VR 😵
  11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:491 edit
    @petewxyz said
    This is, however, plainly a fish related issue as is your pertinent observation.
    There is an argument to be made that genetically modified cephalopods could be used as our first interstellar travelers. They can take remarkably high g force for a long period of time. More than double that of what a human can sustain even for a few seconds. While high temperatures are a problem, it’s been demonstrated that some cephalopods can be frozen and thawed with out and obvious damage. Remarkable if creepy animals.

Note that some frogs, lobsters and alligators have been known to be frozen solid and thawed good to go.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:53
    @hand-of-hecate said
    There is an argument to be made that genetically modified cephalopods could be used as our first interstellar travelers. They can take remarkably high g force for a long period of time. More than double that of what a human can sustain even for a few seconds. While high temperatures are a problem, it’s been demonstrated that some cephalopods can be frozen and thawed wi ...[text shortened]... e that some frogs, lobsters and alligators have been known to be frozen solid and thawed good to go.
    Quite the fish story!!! 😉

-VR
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:53
    @hand-of-hecate said
    There is an argument to be made that genetically modified cephalopods could be used as our first interstellar travelers. They can take remarkably high g force for a long period of time. More than double that of what a human can sustain even for a few seconds. While high temperatures are a problem, it’s been demonstrated that some cephalopods can be frozen and thawed wi ...[text shortened]... e that some frogs, lobsters and alligators have been known to be frozen solid and thawed good to go.
    They also have sufficient arms to operate numerous controls with only limited crew numbers. Makes colonisation of distant planets seem highly feasible.
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 19:02
    @petewxyz said
    They also have sufficient arms to operate numerous controls with only limited crew numbers. Makes colonisation of distant planets seem highly feasible.
    I suspect tru colonization will end up being completely mechanized with frozen embryos and seeds. Still the idea of Space Octopi is intriguing.
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 19:09
    @very-rusty said
    Quite the fish story!!! 😉

-VR
    Well to you most science must seem like magic. I imagine going through life with such a vague understanding would be both fascinating and frightening. Let me tuck you in with your safety blanket of religion and a hot cup of cocoa. Let the adults talk about strange and wondrous things while you dwell on more mundane enterprises.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree