General Forum

General Forum

1. YNWA
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 08:22
    Games have the fantastic ability to draw people together from different cultures from all over the globe. Chess, through RHP has created this amazing virtual multicultural community that I feel privileged to have been able to join. It's possible some people posting here have limited experience of living in multicultural communities in the real world, but suddenly find themselves in an amazingly diverse virtual world.

Some of the posts in forums remind me of Liverpool in the 60s and 70s, suggesting inexperience at living well together. Liverpool was divided with the tricolour painted on road signs in Catholic communities. Protestant communities marching provocatively close. The oldest Chinese community in the UK completely segregated, similarly the Afro-Caribbean community in Toxteth and the Jewish community in Childwall.

Liverpool Football Club was viewed as the Protestant club and Everton as the Catholic club. Liverpool broke the trend. Famously they signed Tommy Smith despite the fact (as described in his biography) he was actively discouraged by the priests at the Catholic school that he attended in Liverpool. Liverpool consistently broke down barriers. They signed Kenny Dalglish from Glasgow Celtic. They were amongst the very first clubs to have Jewish players and Black players. Incredible as it now seems that was ground breaking and met resistance.

Liverpool now have a number of high profile Islamic players who have raised the profile of the mosque in the city in a very positive way. Those involved in youth work already knew of the positive contribution of the mosque and it has been fantastic and helpful to now see positive perceptions developing in the wider community.

Liverpool Football Club (now American owned and really benefitting from that) embraces multiculturalism, benefits from contributions from all round the world and surprise, surprise they become World Club Champions. A statistician demonstrated that where most football clubs history of winning trophies simply correlated with their financial turnover, Liverpool's stands out as overperforming against that measure.

So my point. As a massive multicultural community RHP has the opportunity to be the place where the best Chess in the world will be played. I think that's exciting. So let's make that process happen by respecting the diversity on the site and celebrating the multicultural nature of this community with thoughtful posting.
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 08:39
    @petewxyz said
    Games have the fantastic ability to draw people together from different cultures from all over the globe. Chess, through RHP has created this amazing virtual multicultural community that I feel privileged to have been able to join. It's possible some people posting here have limited experience of living in multicultural communities in the real world, but suddenly find themse ...[text shortened]... sity on the site and celebrating the multicultural nature of this community with thoughtful posting.
    Those are fine sentiments indeed Pete.

I never knew those facts regarding Liverpool's FC.
    The acceptance of diversity, as a process, is evolving naturally and for the better, I hope.
    I consider RHP's Forums as a microcosmic representation of our current world-at-large; albeit with a bitter twist of lemon.

Bitter tea may be an acquired taste, but it can still be refreshing. 🙂
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 09:13
    Even as a Spurs supporter (and Ipswich Town) I have to tip my hat to the amazing team Liverpool has developed into. This season they are in a class of their own.
  4. YNWA
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 09:37
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Even as a Spurs supporter (and Ipswich Town) I have to tip my hat to the amazing team Liverpool has developed into. This season they are in a class of their own.
    I was on a caravan site north of Madrid for the European Cup final. There were a lot of Spurs fans on the site and you could tell that they had travelled in belief despite the strength of the current Liverpool team. I didn't think they were wrong and I admit I was nervous. I think Spurs are better than their current league position, maybe a new stadium effect? Bizarrely I watched Ipswich in an FA Cup semi final against Man City at Villa Park. A woman from Uni that I knew was an Ipswich fan with access to tickets and wanted somebody to take her (I went to Portman Road once with her as well). For all the fine words about multiculturalism I have to confess to being able to support almost anybody playing against the Manchester teams! Human beings are weak!!
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 12:07
    @petewxyz said
    I was on a caravan site north of Madrid for the European Cup final. There were a lot of Spurs fans on the site and you could tell that they had travelled in belief despite the strength of the current Liverpool team. I didn't think they were wrong and I admit I was nervous. I think Spurs are better than their current league position, maybe a new stadium effect? Bizarrely I wa ...[text shortened]... o being able to support almost anybody playing against the Manchester teams! Human beings are weak!!
    Yes sir, we are all afflicted with that weakness. Ipswich was my childhood team and would travel to Portman Road with my dad quite often and stand on an old suitcase to see what was going on. (Back in the days of John Walk, Terry Butcher etc). Even to this day I can't help but root for any opponents of Norwich. 🙂
  6. Standard memberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 12:20
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Yes sir, we are all afflicted with that weakness. Ipswich was my childhood team and would travel to Portman Road with my dad quite often and stand on an old suitcase to see what was going on. (Back in the days of John Walk, Terry Butcher etc). Even to this day I can't help but root for any opponents of Norwich. 🙂
    I am a bit different to most Middlesbrough supporters i am really pleased if newcastle or Sunderland win as long as its not at the Boros expence, I think Sucsess for any north eastern team is a boost for the area.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 12:23
    @badradger said
    I am a bit different to most Middlesbrough supporters i am really pleased if newcastle or Sunderland win as long as its not at the Boros expence, I think Sucsess for any north eastern team is a boost for the area.
    That's true. Middlesbrough are also a great team, though have had a mixed bag in the last few years.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 13:34
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    That's true. Middlesbrough are also a great team, though have had a mixed bag in the last few years.
    Go Rangers Go.
  9. YNWA
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 14:56
    @badradger said
    It's strange how that one can go. I heard a lot of Man United supporters preferred to lose their derby at the end of last season if it meant Man City winning the league rather than Liverpool. Most Liverpool fans would say that if it were the other way round they couldn't wish Everton a league title under any circumstances, but like in many scouse families my in-laws are mixed and I have an Evertonian brother-in-law as well as a Liverpudlian one so if it came down to it (no, can't bear to write any more).
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 16:00
    once upon a time i held spock to a draw in 3D chess
    THAT won't ever happen again
  11. YNWA
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 17:04
    @great-big-stees said
    Go Rangers Go.
    This is a genuine question so hope you will take it that way, but which Rangers? You replied to a quote about Middlesbrough who are in the same division as Queens Park Rangers, my picture includes Steven Gerrard in his playing days (now the manager of Glasgow Rangers) but I know you are/or have been into Ice Hockey and I have some idea there is a hockey team called Rangers - confusing?!
  12. YNWA
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 17:08
    @rookie54 said
    once upon a time i held spock to a draw in 3D chess
    THAT won't ever happen again
    Well I guess anybody who could hold spock to a draw should surely be able to predict the future so sadly you are probably right.
  13. Joined
    16 Oct '19
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 18:34
    At the house of hope we follow Spurs and football friends (especially Gooners) here in the States occasionally will refer to me and the team as the Yids.

Back in the day it was intended in a derogatory manner - I think due to Spurs having a lot of Jewish immigrant fans? Now it is used in a non-pejorative sense although I suspect there are still some folks who don't like it.

My family likes it. It is somehow an acknowledgement that we are real supporters? Not sure.
  14. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 18:381 edit
    @petewxyz said
    This is a genuine question so hope you will take it that way, but which Rangers? You replied to a quote about Middlesbrough who are in the same division as Queens Park Rangers, my picture includes Steven Gerrard in his playing days (now the manager of Glasgow Rangers) but I know you are/or have been into Ice Hockey and I have some idea there is a hockey team called Rangers - confusing?!
    Ha Ha, I bet he's talking about the New York Ranges, an NHL hockey club. Know your customers 🙂
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 18:53
    Might have been a dream, but seem to recall GBS saying he had some Scottish ancestry. (In which case Glasgow Rangers would be more likely).