1. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Feb '20 14:21
    @petewxyz said
    Loads of people following Rangers results and performances down here now that Stevie G is their Manager. Particularly as it is widely believed he aspires to being a future Liverpool manager. It's an interesting swing as it seemed there was previously more affection for Celtic due to King Kenny, but once again the fact that we have strong ties with both clubs and a history of ...[text shortened]... cultures. That said I don't think we ever recruited from the Celtics to which the noble Earl refers!
    🙂 Probably not, but I couldn't resist giving our fellow clan man, @Great-Big-Stees, a little food for thought
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Feb '20 14:27
    @petewxyz said
    So that is interesting that there are Boston Celtics. I'm guessing a common heritage as some of the Irish passing through the port of Liverpool to the new world settled in Liverpool while others continued their journey. The current owners of Liverpool are called Fenway Sport and they own Fenway Park in Boston so maybe they feel a connection between the cities. They are certa ...[text shortened]... d Liverpool Football Club and the culture so it does look like more than just a commercial decision.
    Petewxyz, I live very close to Fenway. Fenway Park is of course, the home of the storied Boston Red Sox, a baseball club. The Boston Celtics is a basketball club that plays their games very near the Red Sox' Fenway Park.

And it is interesting that Liverpool has that connection to my Red Sox but my first introduction to having warm feelings of Liverpool is the Beatles 🙂 When the Beatles sang "She was just... seven-teen..." I was about 13 lol
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Feb '20 18:53

Removed by poster

4. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Feb '20 19:18
    @petewxyz

Glad you liked it. Did you know they have a guy behind that old scoreboard putting up score changes by hand?? Truly. They never want to get electronic on that. So far, anyway.

There aren't a lot of seats, maybe 36,000, and no standing room allowed (local ordinance). So that is where you get the phrase, "the friendly confines of Fenway". It's a cool ball yard.

They only played football (American) there one or two seasons while the Patriots were looking for a permanent home back in the 60's. No, it is not a good place to try and lay out a football pitch.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Feb '20 19:31
    @Earl-of-Trumps Excellent, I hope it never goes electronic. The more the feeling of connection to tradition the more passionate and intense the crowd get and for me that is the something extra that can make the difference for the team. In Liverpool they say the crowd is the 12th man; outnumbering the visitors.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree