Games, Sports & Multiculturalism

Games, Sports & Multiculturalism

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Feb 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Might have been a dream, but seem to recall GBS saying he had some Scottish ancestry. (In which case Glasgow Rangers would be more likely).
I don't presume to speak for GBS, but I do believe that that's correct.
At least, I seem to recall him indicating so in other Forums.

Great thread! 🙂

SRB

Moves
17 Feb 20

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Feb 20

@relentless-red removed their quoted post
It's not a term we like to use.

Moves
17 Feb 20

To all who responded to my “Rangers” response I was indeed referring to the Glasgow Rangers. Although I really don’t follow football, at all, I do like to tease my partner and her “boys”, who are diehard Celtic fans. I was born in Scotland ( Edinburgh, the sophisticated part of Scotland) but have been in Canada since after the war (WW2). Now let’s see what kind of response these tidbits produce.🤔😉

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
18 Feb 20

@Great-Big-Stees

Ah! And your boys are Boston Celtics fans, too. Wonderful. So am I 🙂

SRB

Moves
18 Feb 20

@great-big-stees said
To all who responded to my “Rangers” response I was indeed referring to the Glasgow Rangers. Although I really don’t follow football, at all, I do like to tease my partner and her “boys”, who are diehard Celtic fans. I was born in Scotland ( Edinburgh, the sophisticated part of Scotland) but have been in Canada since after the war (WW2). Now let’s see what kind of response these tidbits produce.🤔😉
Loads of people following Rangers results and performances down here now that Stevie G is their Manager. Particularly as it is widely believed he aspires to being a future Liverpool manager. It's an interesting swing as it seemed there was previously more affection for Celtic due to King Kenny, but once again the fact that we have strong ties with both clubs and a history of recruiting from both is evidence of the strength in welcoming all cultures. That said I don't think we ever recruited from the Celtics to which the noble Earl refers!

h

Moves
18 Feb 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It's not a term we like to use.
Interesting. Being 4000 miles away changes the experience of following a side. I guess we will let that one go then.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
18 Feb 20

@hope said
Interesting. Being 4000 miles away changes the experience of following a side. I guess we will let that one go then.
All that really matters is that Spurs wins all their remaining games.

😀

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Feb 20
1 edit

@great-big-stees said
I had a grandmother born in dublin that moved to liverpool Marie Agness Kelly, my wife whose maiden name was Drumond always believed she was scots on her fathers side and irish on her mothers side( Donnison) but last year her brother traced their family tree turns out the Drumond side came again from Dublin making my kids 3/4 Irish ( i often wondered where my short temper came from).

h

Moves
18 Feb 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
All that really matters is that Spurs wins all their remaining games.

😀
Well tomorrow is my birthday ...

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
18 Feb 20

@hope said
Well tomorrow is my birthday ...
Happy 21st to you.

SRB

Moves
18 Feb 20
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
@Great-Big-Stees

Ah! And your boys are Boston Celtics fans, too. Wonderful. So am I 🙂
So that is interesting that there are Boston Celtics. I'm guessing a common heritage as some of the Irish passing through the port of Liverpool to the new world settled in Liverpool while others continued their journey. The current owners of Liverpool are called Fenway Sport and they own Fenway Park in Boston so maybe they feel a connection between the cities. They are certainly doing really well and take the trouble to really understand Liverpool Football Club and the culture so it does look like more than just a commercial decision.

SRB

Moves
18 Feb 20
2 edits

@badradger said
I had a grandmother born in dublin that moved to liverpool Marie Agness Kelly, my wife whose maiden name was Drumond always believed she was scots on her fathers side and irish on her mothers side( Donnison) but last year her brother traced their family tree turns out the Drumond side came again from Dublin making my kids 3/4 Irish ( i often wondered where my short temper came from).
Ever listened to the music of The Dropkick Murphys? In particular 'Shipping Off to Boston' for obvious reasons, but also the famine song 'The Fields of Athenry' that is linked to many family's decisions to leave Ireland but also the precursor of a song now sung by Liverpool fans 'The Fields of Anfield Road'. All of this traditional music predates The Dropkick Murphys but if you want an outlet for a short temper you gotta like their spin on them!

I should add that I have known a few people who believed they had Scottish ancestry that turned out to have been Irish. The reason I was told was that a lot of people came via Scotland to Liverpool because the work digging Glasgow's docks dried up first.

h

Moves
18 Feb 20

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Thank you. I am thinking a bottle of Perrier-Jouet (the birthday affordable Grand Brut) will fill the bill.

SRB

Moves
20 Feb 20

@WOLFE63 So we find ourselves 1.0 down to Atletico Madrid, but who feels comfortable taking a 1.0 lead to Anfield?

Jurgen Klopp has earned the right to do his own thing. The conventional wisdom at LFC, when the first leg is away, has always been to silence the crowd by focusing on not letting the opposition play and frustrating them into mistakes, but we know that Jurgen Klopp will play to our strengths by playing an open game as opposed to organising around the opposition.

The risk is that if you concede early in a massive oppressive Spanish stadium then the atmosphere and intensity becomes a caldron, as happened in Madrid. For the first time in his career Trent's crossing regularly went astray and we were reminded of his youth. Even Virgil made mistakes. For me the positive was that despite all this we could keep it to 1.0 unlike the away leg in Barcelona last year.

So Mr Wolfe, we sail on through this storm with our heads held high!