General Forum

General Forum

1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 19:05
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Might have been a dream, but seem to recall GBS saying he had some Scottish ancestry. (In which case Glasgow Rangers would be more likely).
    I don't presume to speak for GBS, but I do believe that that's correct.
    At least, I seem to recall him indicating so in other Forums.

Great thread! 🙂
  2. YNWA
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 21:51
    @hope said
    At the house of hope we follow Spurs and football friends (especially Gooners) here in the States occasionally will refer to me and the team as the Yids.

Back in the day it was intended in a derogatory manner - I think due to Spurs having a lot of Jewish immigrant fans? Now it is used in a non-pejorative sense although I suspect there are still some folks who don't like it.

My family likes it. It is somehow an acknowledgement that we are real supporters? Not sure.
    Maybe one for Ghost to comment on as a London based Spurs fan. I heard they were trying to get rid of that even though it was understood to have lost its racist connotations and been claimed by the Spurs fans as their own term for themselves. Problem with all things like that is it keeps the term in circulation and not everybody joins with the change in meaning. That said 'queer' was always a term used to persecute gay people when I was a kid, but it seemed to go through a change as people started to use it to define themselves and claim the term. Difficult area but I would say if there is a risk it perpetuates racism then let it fade away.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 21:59
    @petewxyz said
    Maybe one for Ghost to comment on as a London based Spurs fan. I heard they were trying to get rid of that even though it was understood to have lost its racist connotations and been claimed by the Spurs fans as their own term for themselves. Problem with all things like that is it keeps the term in circulation and not everybody joins with the change in meaning. That said 'q ...[text shortened]... term. Difficult area but I would say if there is a risk it perpetuates racism then let it fade away.
    It's not a term we like to use.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 22:16
    To all who responded to my “Rangers” response I was indeed referring to the Glasgow Rangers. Although I really don’t follow football, at all, I do like to tease my partner and her “boys”, who are diehard Celtic fans. I was born in Scotland ( Edinburgh, the sophisticated part of Scotland) but have been in Canada since after the war (WW2). Now let’s see what kind of response these tidbits produce.🤔😉
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 03:38
    @Great-Big-Stees

Ah! And your boys are Boston Celtics fans, too. Wonderful. So am I 🙂
  6. YNWA
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 06:54
    @great-big-stees said
    To all who responded to my “Rangers” response I was indeed referring to the Glasgow Rangers. Although I really don’t follow football, at all, I do like to tease my partner and her “boys”, who are diehard Celtic fans. I was born in Scotland ( Edinburgh, the sophisticated part of Scotland) but have been in Canada since after the war (WW2). Now let’s see what kind of response these tidbits produce.🤔😉
    Loads of people following Rangers results and performances down here now that Stevie G is their Manager. Particularly as it is widely believed he aspires to being a future Liverpool manager. It's an interesting swing as it seemed there was previously more affection for Celtic due to King Kenny, but once again the fact that we have strong ties with both clubs and a history of recruiting from both is evidence of the strength in welcoming all cultures. That said I don't think we ever recruited from the Celtics to which the noble Earl refers!
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '19
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 14:11
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It's not a term we like to use.
    Interesting. Being 4000 miles away changes the experience of following a side. I guess we will let that one go then.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 14:27
    @hope said
    Interesting. Being 4000 miles away changes the experience of following a side. I guess we will let that one go then.
    All that really matters is that Spurs wins all their remaining games.

😀
  9. Standard memberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 14:561 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    I had a grandmother born in dublin that moved to liverpool Marie Agness Kelly, my wife whose maiden name was Drumond always believed she was scots on her fathers side and irish on her mothers side( Donnison) but last year her brother traced their family tree turns out the Drumond side came again from Dublin making my kids 3/4 Irish ( i often wondered where my short temper came from).
  10. Joined
    16 Oct '19
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 15:02
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    All that really matters is that Spurs wins all their remaining games.

😀
    Well tomorrow is my birthday ...
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 16:11
    @hope said
    Well tomorrow is my birthday ...
    Happy 21st to you.
  12. YNWA
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 18:131 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @Great-Big-Stees

Ah! And your boys are Boston Celtics fans, too. Wonderful. So am I 🙂
    So that is interesting that there are Boston Celtics. I'm guessing a common heritage as some of the Irish passing through the port of Liverpool to the new world settled in Liverpool while others continued their journey. The current owners of Liverpool are called Fenway Sport and they own Fenway Park in Boston so maybe they feel a connection between the cities. They are certainly doing really well and take the trouble to really understand Liverpool Football Club and the culture so it does look like more than just a commercial decision.
  13. YNWA
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 18:202 edits
    @badradger said
    I had a grandmother born in dublin that moved to liverpool Marie Agness Kelly, my wife whose maiden name was Drumond always believed she was scots on her fathers side and irish on her mothers side( Donnison) but last year her brother traced their family tree turns out the Drumond side came again from Dublin making my kids 3/4 Irish ( i often wondered where my short temper came from).
    Ever listened to the music of The Dropkick Murphys? In particular 'Shipping Off to Boston' for obvious reasons, but also the famine song 'The Fields of Athenry' that is linked to many family's decisions to leave Ireland but also the precursor of a song now sung by Liverpool fans 'The Fields of Anfield Road'. All of this traditional music predates The Dropkick Murphys but if you want an outlet for a short temper you gotta like their spin on them!

I should add that I have known a few people who believed they had Scottish ancestry that turned out to have been Irish. The reason I was told was that a lot of people came via Scotland to Liverpool because the work digging Glasgow's docks dried up first.
  14. Joined
    16 Oct '19
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 19:11
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Thank you. I am thinking a bottle of Perrier-Jouet (the birthday affordable Grand Brut) will fill the bill.
  15. YNWA
    Moves
    20 Feb '20 13:36
    @WOLFE63 So we find ourselves 1.0 down to Atletico Madrid, but who feels comfortable taking a 1.0 lead to Anfield?

Jurgen Klopp has earned the right to do his own thing. The conventional wisdom at LFC, when the first leg is away, has always been to silence the crowd by focusing on not letting the opposition play and frustrating them into mistakes, but we know that Jurgen Klopp will play to our strengths by playing an open game as opposed to organising around the opposition.

The risk is that if you concede early in a massive oppressive Spanish stadium then the atmosphere and intensity becomes a caldron, as happened in Madrid. For the first time in his career Trent's crossing regularly went astray and we were reminded of his youth. Even Virgil made mistakes. For me the positive was that despite all this we could keep it to 1.0 unlike the away leg in Barcelona last year.

So Mr Wolfe, we sail on through this storm with our heads held high!