1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:10
    @torunn said
    @drewnogal
    Very interesting to read. My father died of a heart-attack, only 55 years old, totally unexpectedly. He had what we now know as obvious symptoms but at that time, in 1977, they weren't as wellknown. He had an appointment to his doctor in a couple of weeks for 'obscure pain and fatigue' but never made it there. It is also interesting to know that signs of heart-attacks can be different for men and women.
    42 years ago is a long time where medicine was then and where it is now. I know in my time I've seen people die from things that have become routine surgery now with pretty much a 100% success rate. there have been many, many changes since 1977 for sure.

-VR
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:39
    @very-rusty said
    42 years ago is a long time where medicine was then and where it is now. I know in my time I've seen people die from things that have become routine surgery now with pretty much a 100% success rate. there have been many, many changes since 1977 for sure.

-VR
    My father worked as tinsmith - or tinplate worker - at Götaverken shipyard in Gothenburg and there was a culture among his workmates to avoid being fussy, and so he waited too long.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:441 edit
    @torunn said
    My father worked as tinsmith - or tinplate worker - at Götaverken shipyard in Gothenburg and there was a culture among his workmates to avoid being fussy, and so he waited too long.
    Many coal miners died of cancer and it was blamed on their work. I don't know if they ever received any compensation for it. I believe many knew the dangers going in but had family's to support so their own health came 2nd. Look at the many houses that were built using asbestos.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) first banned certain uses of asbestos in 1973 and banned most products in 1989; however, this was overturned by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in 1991. ... The EPA says asbestos exposure is associated with lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis.

-VR
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:532 edits
    @very-rusty said
    Many coal miners died of cancer and it was blamed on their work. I don't know if they ever received any compensation for it. I believe many knew the dangers going in but had family's to support so their own health came 2nd. Look at the many houses that were built using asbestos.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) first banned certain uses of asbestos in 1973 and ...[text shortened]... . The EPA says asbestos exposure is associated with lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis.

-VR
    The company I worked for 1970-1984 traded with asbestos, and in the mid 70's we were aware that astbestos - in combination with smoking - was lethal, not in its compact form but when it was removed. One of the employees died and the diagnosis was asbestosis. His widow was financially compensated by insurance. The company i worked for was a trading company in the shipbuilding industry, and there was much use of asbestos.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:55
    @torunn said
    The company I worked for 1970-1984 traded with asbestos, and in the mid 70's we were aware that astbestos - in combination with smoking - was lethal, not in its compact form but when it was removed. One of the employees died and the diagnosis was asbestosis. His widow was financially compensated by insurance.
    Money never replaces a loved one no matter how much! I don't believe it makes it any easier for those left behind who could have enjoyed many more years with them.

-VR
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 10:00
    @very-rusty said
    Money never replaces a loved one no matter how much! I don't believe it makes it any easier for those left behind who could have enjoyed many more years with them.

-VR
    There was much legal fighting about where to put the blame and guilt - there was much money at stake. I don't remember more than that as 'our' company had to stop trading with asbestos.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 10:032 edits
    @torunn said
    There was much legal fighting about where to put the blame and guilt - there was much money at stake. I don't remember more than that as 'our' company had to stop trading with asbestos.
    Asbestos cetainly was linked with cancer. In fact, asbestos containing material is not generally considered to be harmful unless it is releasing dust or fibers into the air where they can be inhaled or ingested. Sprayed on asbestos insulation is highly friable. I know when removing asbestos people wear special gear.

-VR
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 13:26
    @very-rusty said
    Asbestos cetainly was linked with cancer. In fact, asbestos containing material is not generally considered to be harmful unless it is releasing dust or fibers into the air where they can be inhaled or ingested. Sprayed on asbestos insulation is highly friable. I know when removing asbestos people wear special gear.

-VR
    I wonder if the scientist ever thought of mixing in some "super glue"? 🤔
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 18:09
    @great-big-stees said
    I wonder if the scientist ever thought of mixing in some "super glue"? 🤔
    LOL@ gbs!!!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree