1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 05:171 edit
    One thing we all have in common (apart from perhaps chaney3) is that we are all ageing.

I’ve made some significant positive lifestyle and work/life changes in the last 6-12 months which I’m very happy with, but which have punctuated my life in such a way causing me to reflect a little more than usual on the passing of time and the inevitability of getting older.

It’s not a morose nor even a melancholy or nostalgic mood, more one of appreciation of what has passed and what is to come.

Thoughts from your own perspective?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:17
    Blimey, I’ve upset one poster already by just asking the question.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:26
    Are we supposed to be using the GF as an arena to brag about our success in life, while masking it in a thread about getting older?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:27
    @chaney3 said
    Are we supposed to be using the GF as an arena to brag about our success in life, while masking it in a thread about getting older?
    You are free to post as you wish chaney3.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:32
    @divegeester said
    You are free to post as you wish chaney3.
    Just busting chops.
    It's a good OP.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:38
    @chaney3 said
    Just busting chops.
    It's a good OP.
    How do you feel about getting older. Do you think about it?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:48
    @divegeester said
    How do you feel about getting older. Do you think about it?
    I think about it all the time.
    I'm not a fan.
    I have drank a lot of beer in my time, along with smoking cigarettes and pretty much eating whatever I want. The only thing that has kept me from the grave thus far is that I have seriously made a lifetime effort of lifting weights to combat my bad lifestyle choices.
    Also, most of the people I've known from my youth have died, it is surreal to say the least.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 07:39
    @divegeester
    We who have already reached the stage of being old are usually grateful for making it this far. Ageing comes in different forms, and to be honest and sincere 🙂 , many things are better now, while others aren't. One rule though: stay away from bad things and bad people.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 08:472 edits
    @chaney3 said
    I think about it all the time.
    I'm not a fan.
    I have drank a lot of beer in my time, along with smoking cigarettes and pretty much eating whatever I want. The only thing that has kept me from the grave thus far is that I have seriously made a lifetime effort of lifting weights to combat my bad lifestyle choices.
    Also, most of the people I've known from my youth have died, it is surreal to say the least.
    That’s a pretty hardcore lifestyle choice, I’m sure you realise it will catch up with you. Like many of my generational contemporaries I’ve lived a pretty full on life too. But I haven’t lifted the weights! 😳
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 08:48
    @torunn said
    @divegeester
    We who have already reached the stage of being old are usually grateful for making it this far. Ageing comes in different forms, and to be honest and sincere 🙂 , many things are better now, while others aren't. One rule though: stay away from bad things and bad people.
    What would you include as “bad things” in this scenario?
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 08:562 edits
    @divegeester said
    What would you include as “bad things” in this scenario?
    Getting into situations where you know you don't belong, or where you feel uncomfortable for some reason, maybe experience. Doing things just because others do, not following your intuition. Sure, you may lose some opportunities which might have been worth a try but when in doubt, stay away. What I'm talking about is mainly relationships of all kinds.
    Edit: It has been mentioned that we should try everything at least once - we don't have to do that. 🙂
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 09:01
    @torunn said
    What I'm talking about is mainly relationships of all kinds.
    If I was single again I would not be looking for another relationship; partly because it would be an exercise in futility and compromise as my expectations would far out reach my pulling power and partly because I would be constantly comparing this unfortunate lady with a pedestaled icon of womanhood.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 09:15
    @divegeester said
    That’s a pretty hardcore lifestyle choice, I’m sure you realise it will catch up with you. Like many of my generational contemporaries I’ve lived a pretty full on life too. But I haven’t lifted the weights! 😳
    The choices I made began in high school, and have been something I've had to battle with ever since. Obviously at that time I viewed myself invincible, and would "worry" about it "later".

Well ....... later arrived years ago and the battles continue.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 09:151 edit
    @divegeester said
    If I was single again I would not be looking for another relationship; partly because it would be an exercise in futility and compromise as my expectations would far out reach my pulling power and partly because I would be constantly comparing this unfortunate lady with a pedestaled icon of womanhood.
    'We are the total of our choices', and can't blame others for our shortcomings. At the same time it is important to know that the choices we made then were not based on what we know today and maybe we couldn't see any other way, so we shouldn't feel guilty for doing what we did. I'm certain Ghost of a Duke can explain this better if he agrees with me. 🙂

This is what I can say about getting older. 🙂
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 12:26
    Getting older should mean more experience and knowledge.

You start out with no teeth and a little bit of hair, in diapers and in the end many wind up the same way!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree