Going Dutch

Going Dutch

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
19 Feb 17
1 edit

What are your thoughts on this? Are you unerved by women who pay their way or do you find this attractive? Maybe you insist on paying for everything but deep down inside you resent it and wish she'd offer sometimes but feel too embarrassed to mention it? What if she earns lots more than you yet still expects you to pay?

F

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by drewnogal
What are your thoughts on this? Are you unerved by women who pay their way or do you find this attractive? Maybe you insist on paying for everything but deep down inside you resent it and wish she'd offer sometimes but feel too embarrassed to mention it? What if she earns lots more than you yet still expects you to pay?
Marriage obliterated all these questions for me.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Feb 17
2 edits

It is attractive unless she INSISTS every time. Then it gets obnoxious.

If a woman with more money always insisted I always pay for dates she better be either damn good in bed - maybe even submissively so like I tell her what to do and she does it - or the mother of my children or both.

Otherwise I'd feel like she was just using me because she thought I was weak and would let her. She'd probably cheat on me anyway the selfish b* after I bought her dinner with one of her paid gigolos.

I'd rather be the gigolo than the sucker who wastes on his money on a woman for nothing.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
20 Feb 17
1 edit

I am from the old school. I think that the man should always pay. Probably gives away my age but at this point it really doesn't matter to me. Even if I am out with a group, I usually pay for the group. ( Talking about a meal here)

I am pleasantly surprised when someone else in the group offer to pay the tab, I must admit.

-VR

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Feb 17

This should not be an issue. Reverse the genders to see your question in a new light.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It is attractive unless she INSISTS every time. Then it gets obnoxious.

If a woman with more money always insisted I always pay for dates she better be either damn good in bed - maybe even submissively so like I tell her what to do and she does it - or the mother of my children or both.

Otherwise I'd feel like she was just using me because she t ...[text shortened]... gigolos.

I'd rather be the gigolo than the sucker who wastes on his money on a woman for nothing.
Dude! Issues, much?

Read a book!

Moves
20 Feb 17

You have a dinner date with a new bloke and you want to know if he'll find it awkward for you to split the tab or pay in full.

My advice: When in doubt, don't. Next time, if there is a next time, set the ground rules in advance.

Moves
20 Feb 17

Never crosses my mind, but then I've had one joint bank account with my wife for nearly 27 years so it's not an issue. If I was "out there again" I'd like to be treated to a meal occasionally, and reciprocate, otherwise it's 50/50 I guess.

A

RSA

Moves
20 Feb 17

50/50 please. True equality is not judging who pays on gender.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by apathist
This should not be an issue. Reverse the genders to see your question in a new light.
What are your thoughts on this? Are you unerved by men who pay their way or do you find this attractive? Maybe you insist on paying for everything but deep down inside you resent it and wish he'd offer sometimes but feel too embarrassed to mention it? What if he earns lots more than you yet still expects you to pay?

It looks weird!

One justification I read for the man paying was that women fork out a lot of money to look good for a man on a date such as hair appointments, make-up, clothes etc.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
20 Feb 17

I thought 'going Dutch' was something else.

Gothenburg

Moves
20 Feb 17
1 edit

Unless there is a huge difference in financial circumstances, if taken out to dinner I would prefer that he takes the cost the first time, then we take turns or split 50/50. I would feel uncomfortable if he insisted on paying every time.

Moves
21 Feb 17

On the first date I say the man pays after which they decide where it goes from there.

Gothenburg

Moves
21 Feb 17

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
On the first date I say the man pays after which they decide where it goes from there.
I suppose that is what Swedish men expect too - men from other cultures may feel it's 'unmanly' but they will soon see the advantages, I think 🙂

A

RSA

Moves
21 Feb 17

Originally posted by Torunn
I suppose that is what Swedish men expect too - men from other cultures may feel it's 'unmanly' but they will soon see the advantages, I think 🙂
If a man's masculinity is threatened by who pays the bill they are very insecure.