Hamilton on Disney+

Hamilton on Disney+

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Jul 20

Disney+ is showing the full Broadway show.

Obviously I'm interested in history and Hamilton is an intriguing figure.

But I hate musicals.

Should I watch it? Opinions from those who have actually seen it would be especially appreciated.

D

Moves
05 Jul 20

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
05 Jul 20

Take it to the Culture forum Spanky

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Jul 20

@athousandyoung said
Take it to the Culture forum Spanky
Never been there.

Planet Rain

Moves
05 Jul 20

@no1marauder said
Never been there.
No one has.

Read a book!

Moves
05 Jul 20

@no1marauder said

But I hate musicals.

Should I watch it? Opinions from those who have actually seen it would be especially appreciated.
Try it, you might like it. You can't go wrong for $6.99.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Jul 20

@handyandy said
Try it, you might like it. You can't go wrong for $6.99.
I got it free for a year for switching to Verizon. Probably won't renew esp. since they are losing Marvel.

Read a book!

Moves
05 Jul 20

@no1marauder said
I got it free for a year for switching to Verizon. Probably won't renew esp. since they are losing Marvel.
If it's free you can afford to doze off if the play doesn't cut it.

Moves
05 Jul 20
2 edits

@no1marauder said

But I hate musicals.

Not especially qualified to your preference but based on my experience with Eminem’s 8 mile, make sure it has subtitles for the rap-impaired (high speed dialogue). But... hate musicals?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Jul 20

@soothfast said
No one has.
I did wander in once by accident. (Left thoroughly uncultured).

Planet Rain

Moves
05 Jul 20

@no1marauder said

But I hate musicals.

Okay, I was glancing through the Daily Kos tonight and clicked into a blog that just so happens to gush about Hamilton quite a bit in the beginning. A couple paragraphs:
Part of the joy in watching this now-legendary 2016 production was no doubt related to the bittersweet fact that none of us are too likely to see a live performance of Hamilton or any other play, for that matter, in the near future. Broadway is closed down and all of the theaters in most major cities are shuttered until we somehow manage to get the COVID-19 pandemic under control. But even that sad realization couldn’t detract from the sheer joy of watching something so spectacularly written, acted and portrayed.

And nothing could detract from the boundless spirit of the thing, a rapid-fire, astute, heartfelt, sometimes irreverent and thoroughly contemporary exploration of our country’s earliest fits and starts as seen through the eyes and experience of our Founding Fathers. Produced during the waning days of the Obama administration, full of hope, humor and musically and visually dazzling, it was impossible not to compare the emotional rush it evokes with the bleak moonscape of American life many of us are currently experiencing due to the pandemic. The fact that it was released to coincide with the July 4th holiday makes that contrast all the more stark in its effect.

Here's the link:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/4/1958248/-Trump-s-sad-empty-and-tragic-July-4th

(Trigger alert for Trump fans: the 2nd part of the blog goes on to mercilessly tear The Donald a new one. Well, that's the Daily Kos for you.)

Moves
05 Jul 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I did wander in once by accident. (Left thoroughly uncultured).
Uncultured are the best pearls.

A

RSA

Moves
05 Jul 20

@no1marauder said

But I hate musicals.

Summed up, musicals are "actors who can sing", while opera is "singers who can act".
In that sense, as a former musician, I generally prefer opera.

That being said, I have heard some good reviews about Hamilton from some of my friends who have seen it. I have a friend who lives in New York and spends a lot of time on Broadway, and another who went for her 21st birthday to the West End to see it. Both enjoyed it very much.

I have not seen it myself, and I cannot vouch for the historical accuracy, but as King George III's great-great-etc grandson, it would be interesting to see how he is portrayed.

By the way, I have seen where Alexander Hamilton was born on Nevis. To this day, Mount Misery/Liamuiga (on St. Kitts) is the only volcano I have ever summited.

Read a book!

Moves
05 Jul 20

My son gave me a copy on a thumb drive. Don't ask me how he got it.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Jul 20

I actually watched it. Pretty good though a lot of the history was a bit distorted and simplified; that's OK I'm not the type who screams at minor discrepancies of that sort in popular entertainment.

No subtitles, so some of it was a bit hard to understand. But pretty energetic performances by a lot of the actors; the guy who played George Washington was especially good as was the one who played Aaron Burr. Thomas Jefferson was a bit too much of comic relief for my taste though.

3 stars out of 4 IMO.