1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 18:561 edit
    Buckingham Palace have announced that Harry & Megan will lose all royal funding and their HRH titles from the spring of this year. They will also be refunding the £2.4million of taxpayer funds used to refurbish Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK home.

On the face of this announcement I have to say that it is a smart move by both parties and one which will ensure that they independently maintain their global profile, but also respect the tightening focus on the commerciality of the British Monarchy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 19:09
    @divegeester said
    Buckingham Palace have announced that Harry & Megan will lose all royal funding and their HRH titles from the spring of this year. They will also be refunding the £2.4million of taxpayer funds used to refurbish Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK home.

On the face of this announcement I have to say that it is a smart move by both parties and one which will en ...[text shortened]... ening focus on the commerciality of the British Monarchy.

Will still keep their HRH titles, just not use them.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 19:33
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Will still keep their HRH titles, just not use them.
    Yes.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 19:54
    Do we know yet who will pay for their security while they are in Canada?

-VR
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 21:12
    @very-rusty said
    Do we know yet who will pay for their security while they are in Canada?

-VR
    You?
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 21:28
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You?
    I really have no idea who will be looking after it, I haven't heard anymore at this end on it.

-VR
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 21:41
    @very-rusty said
    I really have no idea who will be looking after it, I haven't heard anymore at this end on it.

-VR
    No sir, I meant 'you' personally will be paying for their security.

Didn't you get the memo?
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 21:47
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    No sir, I meant 'you' personally will be paying for their security.

Didn't you get the memo?
    I see...Just being "Silly goad" again!

-VR
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 00:011 edit
    @divegeester said

On the face of this announcement I have to say that it is a smart move by both parties and one which will en ...[text shortened]... ening focus on the commerciality of the British Monarchy.

Now it’s being called MEGXIT !!!

Sounds more and more like Meghan is being blamed for this? Stormzy’s reaction to the negative way in which Eamon Homes described her now makes perfect sense.

The British media have behaved shamefully, like a pack of wolves, in a similar manner to the way they continue to tear into the memory of Princess Diana long after her death.

This is how they treat the wife of a man who served in the British Army for ten years, undertook two tours in Afghanistan and has continued to work in support of fellow servicemen, promoting support for wounded men and women as they adapt to life post-injury.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 00:25
    @divegeester
    Yeah, I feel SO sorry for them, with the 45 mil they have stocked away and book deals and Netflix interested. Yep, they will be living from paycheck to paycheck.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 06:26
    @drewnogal said
    Now it’s being called MEGXIT !!!

Sounds more and more like Meghan is being blamed for this? Stormzy’s reaction to the negative way in which Eamon Homes described her now makes perfect sense.

The British media have behaved shamefully, like a pack of wolves, in a similar manner to the way they continue to tear into the memory of Princess Diana long after her death.
    ...[text shortened]... of fellow servicemen, promoting support for wounded men and women as they adapt to life post-injury.
    Actually I’m not following the detail of their privileged lives very closely. This is partly because I don’t care about them at all tbh, and partly because I hardly read the press and I certainly don’t read the Mail or the red-tops.

My interest in the British Monarchy is based purely on two things, the history & heritage and the commercial benefit it brings to us as a nation. That’s it.

If Harry and Megan are never heard of again I can honestly say I wouldn’t bat an eyelid and I’m certainly not interested in Megan’s millennial struggles against bad press and scrutiny.

Sorry if that offends or grates.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 06:331 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Yeah, I feel SO sorry for them, with the 45 mil they have stocked away and book deals and Netflix interested. Yep, they will be living from paycheck to paycheck.
    My OP was not intended to appeal for your sympathy for them, I’m simply noting that what seems to be a sensible outcome has been presented by the palace.

The Queen will have had a big hand in this as she will be very aware of the threat to the Monarchy once she dies. She is the last of a certain generational type to hold the top job and her passing will indeed signal the commencement of huge change for the way the Monarchy is funded and the scope of who benefits.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 08:59
    @divegeester said
    My OP was not intended to appeal for your sympathy for them, I’m simply noting that what seems to be a sensible outcome has been presented by the palace.

The Queen will have had a big hand in this as she will be very aware of the threat to the Monarchy once she dies. She is the last of a certain generational type to hold the top job and her passing will indeed signal the commencement of huge change for the way the Monarchy is funded and the scope of who benefits.
    I see trouble ahead in a nation where Monarchy has meant so much for such a long time. I have always admired Elizabeth II for her dedication and loyalty (and Elizabeth I too). Strong, intelligent women.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 09:38
    @torunn said
    I see trouble ahead in a nation where Monarchy has meant so much for such a long time. I have always admired Elizabeth II for her dedication and loyalty (and Elizabeth I too). Strong, intelligent women.
    God save the Queen.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 11:34
    @torunn said
    I sense that under this new Government there are already strategies in place to re-position the Monarchy as being more a contemporary enterprise with an agenda which will appeal to younger generations and cost conscious detractors.

My prediction is that once the Queen dies the Crown will pass to Charles who while enjoying his Kingship will be very much seen as holding the spot for William for 8 -10 years when he will abdicate with honour and allow the younger generation to take over.

God save the Queen!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree