General Forum

General Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    30 Jun '16 20:50
    Is there any handyman around, please?
    https://s31.postimg.org/e6u66rsef/DSCI0408.jpg
    https://s31.postimg.org/ayl3fzgqv/DSCI0409.jpg

    Here is that interphone, Elvox I think, Italian.

    How can I disable bell (without destroying it by hammer)?

    Very much obliged in advance, thank you, you good folks.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52865
    30 Jun '16 21:59
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Is there any handyman around, please?
    https://s31.postimg.org/e6u66rsef/DSCI0408.jpg
    https://s31.postimg.org/ayl3fzgqv/DSCI0409.jpg

    Here is that interphone, Elvox I think, Italian.

    How can I disable bell (without destroying it by hammer)?

    Very much obliged in advance, thank you, you good folks.
    Looks like you need to take it apart and get to the speaker, either pull it out or put in a switch that can cut it out. Your images are a bit small to see much detail.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Joined
    09 Mar '08
    Moves
    140713
    30 Jun '16 22:25
    unplug it...



    yer welcome...
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    30 Jun '16 22:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Looks like you need to take it apart and get to the speaker, either pull it out or put in a switch that can cut it out. Your images are a bit small to see much detail.
    Bigger photos::
    http://postimg.org/gallery/3hymdwjaw/

    I don't know where are screws and bolts so as to open the box?
    I should then cut off some wires to the bell, but is it dangerous due electricity?
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    01 Jul '16 00:22
    Get used to it.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    01 Jul '16 00:331 edit
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Bigger photos::
    http://postimg.org/gallery/3hymdwjaw/

    I don't know where are screws and bolts so as to open the box?
    I should then cut off some wires to the bell, but is it dangerous due electricity?
    Is an interphone the same thing as an intercom? If so and it has a brand name you can see, you might be able to find operational instructions on the internet.

    But I'm guessing it's a simple device hardwired into the building, and can't be muted unless you open the box and disconnect a wire leading to the speaker. If you don't see any screws (on the outside of the box) then it's possible the box can simply be popped off by pulling on it, but be careful not to break anything if it doesn't want to come off.

    Is there an apartment manager you can ask about this? Or by 'apartment' do you mean temporary lodging, such as a hotel or motel? If so there should still be someone you can ask... and it's possible (if not likely) that there's nothing you can do about this problem without getting yourself into trouble with the owner.

    edit: I was outside for a moment and looked at the box (through remote viewing) and it might be a good idea to first try pulling up at an angle. There might be a hinge at the top (on the inside) and you don't want to be pulling on the hinge itself. If the box pops loose at the bottom then you can either swing the box up or remove it from the hinge...

    Goosed by a Duck is gonna have a cow if this remote viewing thing works, so I hope that's how the box is supposed to come off.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jul '16 01:13
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Is there any handyman around, please?
    https://s31.postimg.org/e6u66rsef/DSCI0408.jpg
    https://s31.postimg.org/ayl3fzgqv/DSCI0409.jpg

    Here is that interphone, Elvox I think, Italian.

    How can I disable bell (without destroying it by hammer)?

    Very much obliged in advance, thank you, you good folks.
    Don't answer. They'll stop calling. 😉
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    323961
    01 Jul '16 01:28
    This looks very much like a wall-phone I had once. That could be lifted off the wall by sliding straight up, then you could get access to its innards from screws on the back.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    01 Jul '16 01:461 edit
    Wo! It IS a wall phone! I was finally able to access the link to your photo... I'm still learning how to get things done on this tablet.

    Usually wall phones have a little swich somewhere to turn off the ringer. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to disable the ringer, I always turn my ringer off before going to bed. All those wrong number callers and emergency calls will just have to wait until morning.

    edit: I don't see any wires coming out of the box, except for the one connecting the phone to the box. So the box itself is likely hard wired into the wall.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52865
    01 Jul '16 03:19
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Is there any handyman around, please?
    https://s31.postimg.org/e6u66rsef/DSCI0408.jpg
    https://s31.postimg.org/ayl3fzgqv/DSCI0409.jpg

    Here is that interphone, Elvox I think, Italian.

    How can I disable bell (without destroying it by hammer)?

    Very much obliged in advance, thank you, you good folks.
    You can just leave it off the hook till you want to use it.
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    01 Jul '16 09:52
    I'll try to move the box.
    What if it is hard wired to the wall?
    Maybe I have to call a service for intercoms to do it for me.
    It will cost me 500 rsd if they turn off the bell permanently, or 2000 rsd if they build a switch so that I can choose.
    But right now I am in dire straits.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    01 Jul '16 23:121 edit
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I'll try to move the box.
    What if it is hard wired to the wall?
    Maybe I have to call a service for intercoms to do it for me.
    It will cost me 500 rsd if they turn off the bell permanently, or 2000 rsd if they build a switch so that I can choose.
    But right now I am in dire straits.
    If it's hard wired it probably can't be disconnected without possibly tearing a little hole in the wall to expose the wires. One time my brother wanted to take a closer look at my smoke alarm, so he twisted it and pulled it off the ceiling. That would have been okay with me except it didn't use a battery, it was wired directly into the electrical system. So I had to reconnect some wires that came loose and shove the guts back up into the ceiling... and hope no one would notice anything different after I moved out and into another apartment.

    Anyway, what's the purpose of that phone? What I mean is, how is it different from having your own phone... is it designed to connect you with other tenants, or for someone who wants to get into your building, or what? I can understand how it would be a royal pain in the rump if you can't turn the ringer off.
  13. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    02 Jul '16 11:51
    How will you know when it's ringing if you disconnect the bell?
    None of this makes any sense. No wonder you're in dire straits. 😉
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    02 Jul '16 15:17
    So I solved the problem.
    It was an intercom ("interphone" is wrong, maybe non--existing word, literal translation from Serbian) at the main entrance, which rings in apartment a guest wants to visit.
    I paid a tehnician to build ind a switch, so that I can chose whether I want to be disturbed or not.
    I am working at home right now, the building is acoustic already as it is, and I don't want to be disturbed by postmen, or people who are going in mobile.phone shop at the ground floor and who are lazy to find the right button so they bother tenants randomly.
    And there was a screw after all, down, below the intercom on bottom panel. I didn't notice it.
  15. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    03 Jul '16 00:03
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    So I solved the problem.
    It was an intercom ("interphone" is wrong, maybe non--existing word, literal translation from Serbian) at the main entrance, which rings in apartment a guest wants to visit.
    I paid a tehnician to build ind a switch, so that I can chose whether I want to be disturbed or not.
    I am working at home right now, the building is a ...[text shortened]...
    And there was a screw after all, down, below the intercom on bottom panel. I didn't notice it.
    So you really didn't need us anyway. I feel abused. 😉
Back to Top